Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,791 times

Advertisements

A job opportunity came up in Nashville, but I'm apprehensive about moving from a very diverse suburban area near a large city in the North where no one asks or cares about religion or one's sexual orientation, to a state that wants to make the Bible the state book and has a "Religious Freedom" law. I'm a pro choice, pro gay marriage, atheist, but I don't make a big deal out of people's different beliefs. (My husband is Mr. Conservative, so he will fit in just fine. lol) I believe in respecting others opinions and choices. A few people have told me that I won't make many friends if I move to Tennessee and I will be lonely and miserable. How true is this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Within Davidson County and especially closer to the inner loop and you will be fine. There are plenty of us around that area.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
As I said in another thread recently, I'm a proud progressive and live in Sumner County which is extremely red and likely to be so for a long time to come. I have found many friends who share my beliefs and made many friends with those who do not and with whom we agree to disagree. I believe as long as you come here with your eyes open about the political environment of the state (and understand many moderate Republicans share "our" frustration with the emphasis on guns, God, and gays by the state legistlature) then you'll be fine. If, however, you are a bit on the zealous side...or a firebrand...then yeah, it's going to be tough for you.

I wouldn't let it deter me personally, especially if I were used to being around strong conservatives...assuming you are since you're married to one.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,511,082 times
If you can't tolerate different opinions, then perhaps you shouldn't move to Tennessee. I live in a mixed area with diverse political views. I don't bother the folks with the Sanders signs in their yards, except to greet them when I see them. They don't bother us. The people across the street are very far left in their politics, but we get along perhaps the best of everyone on our street. That may have something to do with the time their great aunt was house-sitting and locked herself out of the house and we invited her over for dinner until the family returned from their trip. There are people of all stripes, but mostly very level-headed middle of the road folks in this state. Raging leftists will probably not feel at home in TN.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:39 PM

37 posts, read 48,721 times
If i had to recommend a location, i'd just say stay within davidson cnt lines.

Nashville to me has always been a "if you look for it, you'll find it" kind of city. Its easy to spot the red and blue areas, but the good majority of the people aren't vocal about it and generally mind their own business (or like someone mention, middle of road folks). One thing nashvillians are most proud of... is always being nice. Seriously, my wife and I cant be anywhere in public without someone wanting to chitchat to pass time, whethers its in checkout line or to waiting room. If you're ever broken down on side of the road, it wont be a few minutes before someone stops to help. Its southern hospitality at its finest, and that will always outshine the politics, and thats coming from a minority in every sense of the word.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
You will be fine but you will probably want to bang your head against the wall every January-April when the General Assembly is in session, but type of crazy isn't limited to TN. Apparently you'll also find it in Maine, NC, TX, Oklahoma, etc.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
If you have to ask ....

Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM

107 posts, read 186,316 times
a lot of us operate on the MYOB principle so if you do that you'll be ok and make plenty of friends, if you're coming and plan to "fix" us, stay where you are.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
Maybe you could ponder what it must have been like to live in the belly of a whale for three days with 62% of the state's population:

“According to polling, 62% of all Tennesseans favor making the Holy Bible the state book in order to recognize its significance from a historical, economic and cultural standpoint,” the house sponsor, Representative Jerry Sexton, said.

One day states like Tennessee will learn that laws like this create a brain drain/brain deterrent.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
What bill would that be, the one our governor just vetoed?

interesting comment from someone whose state elected Rick Perry and GWB. Please crawl back in your hole, mr troll.

Quote:
A few people have told me that I won't make many friends if I move to Tennessee and I will be lonely and miserable.
Your friends either love you so much they knowingly lie to keep you around or they are ignorant bigots. You, yourself, need to use google or city data to discover that Nashville is a city of 625K where the majority voted for Obama.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-15-2016 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville