Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM

59 posts, read 173,547 times

Advertisements

I've search the forums and can't find much at all about Columbia. Can anyone give me some info on the area? And would it be a crazy commute for my daughter to drive to Nashville for college if she only had to drive 2 or 3 days a week?? Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Columbia...Columbia. Hmmmm...what to say, exactly.

Population is about 35,000
It's the county seat of Maury County (pop. ~84,000)

It's an established community, and NOT a suburb of Nashville. Although you will find commuters who drive to Nashville daily, it is pretty far from city to city. I would guess easily more than an hour to downtown Nashville. It's about 45 miles...but interstate traffic and getting to the interstate can be a little bit of a hassle (Columbia is about 7 miles off the interstate -- most people drive up to Spring Hill and get on there). Most of Columbia seems to look inward at Maury county, rather than up to Nashville, say like Franklin or Hendersonville.

Is it safe? It's got its good parts and its bad. My brother lived pretty close to town in a rental property area of small ranch houses in what I would generally call a lower middle class to middle class area...but he rarely had problems with neighbors or anyone else in the area. He could say more specifically where the problem areas are.

There are some nicer areas of town. One I know of is Sunnyside, on the southwest side of town (even farther from Nashville).

There is some shopping in Columbia. You can definitely get your basic needs there. The problem is that your shopping choices are quite limited compared to a city its size closer to Nashville (such as Hendersonville, Franklin, Brentwood, or Smyrna).

Personally, I would exclude Columbia, for the sole reason of your daughter's commute. Even moving as close as Spring Hill (8 miles closer) makes a bit of a difference time-wise.

Might I ask what school your daughter is planning to attend? That would help decide what area will be a better commute for her.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwinfla View Post
I've search the forums and can't find much at all about Columbia. Can anyone give me some info on the area? And would it be a crazy commute for my daughter to drive to Nashville for college if she only had to drive 2 or 3 days a week?? Any info is appreciated.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbia-Tennessee.html

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM

233 posts, read 720,513 times
vlwinfl,

Perhaps I can speak a little to this subject. I live in Columbia and work in Nashville, commuting every day. The commute isn't terrible, but with the construction on I-65 starting, it is much slower now. It would also depend what time your daughter would be going to Nashville. Also, which school she will be attending as that can have a major effect on the commute. If you let us know where she will be going, I'm sure you will get some more definate times for the commute. I work on the Centennial Medical Center campus and it takes me 40 minutes in the morning and at least an hour in the evening - I leave work at 4:30.
Real estate, both to buy or rent is my more reasonable in Columbia. In fact, I will simply not pay the prices they want in Williamson or Davidson Counties for rentals since (for me) it is not worth it. I also couldn't afford anything in a decent area in either of those counties since so many parts are real dumps. Many people in those counties will call all of Columbia a dump, but I would have to disagree. Columbia is a fairly decent town.
I will also have the option to telecommute if gas goes too high (5.00/gal).
I used to live in Parrish, FL and my brother lives in Ft. Myers, so if you have any questions regarding comparisons between the two places, you can DM me!
Best wishes to you and please let me know if there are any questions you think I can help with.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM

166 posts, read 611,867 times
I grew up in Columbia and my parents still live there. We moved to Tennessee from New Jersey in 1993, initially living in Franklin for a year before moving into our house in Columbia in 94.

Columbia is a fairly decent sized small town that is definitely southern. I say this because I currently live in Murfreesboro and frequent Nashville, Franklin, and Spring Hill frequently. While this is Tennessee, living in Nashville compared to Columbia is a bit like night and day in a sense. While Nashville is VERY sprawled out for a major city, it is still a relatively large city and certainly has all the anemities that come with it, something that Columbia really lacks.

The city is very limited with shopping, even compared to smaller Spring Hill and much larger Franklin and Murfreesboro. Growth has not reached this town yet and it is a bit sleepy. I'm not really saying all this as a negative per se, but a lot of people who move here from even bigger cities and suburbs from other parts of the country, including the South, seem to say that Columbia is way too dull or boring. Most of my high school classmates want to live in either Franklin, M-Boro or Nashville. It is what it is.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info! My daughter will either be attending Nashville Community College or the Art Institute (for photography) - she hasn't decided which yet. I don't mind the small town vibe, I like peaceful, quiet country living vs living in a city! Do they have a Walmart or someplace like that for basic shopping?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! My daughter will either be attending Nashville Community College or the Art Institute (for photography) - she hasn't decided which yet. I don't mind the small town vibe, I like peaceful, quiet country living vs living in a city! Do they have a Walmart or someplace like that for basic shopping?
Yes, they do have a Walmart. Don't get me wrong, Columbia isn't a small town...(even though it may act like it at times). There are 35,000 people there...so finding shopping such as Walmart isn't a problem. There is a small mall (that, as far as I know, is still up and running) with a J.C. Penny, Peebles, and a few other stores. There's a Lowe's, Ace Hardware, and Tractor Supply for home and garden. There are a number of chain food places. It's not like it's a hole in the wall...it's just not as nice or trendy as, say, Franklin.

Restaurants Columbia TN Tennessee + Fine Dining - City Guide

I found this site, and it should answer your questions about what the local shopping scene has.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks so much! My daughter and I are actually driving up tomorrow to spend the rest of the week and weekend to get a bit of a look around. We do have one house to look at in Columbia - and it is our favorite from viewing online. I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide! I never knew moving was so much work (I have done it before it my younger days and it was never this complicated, I must be getting old. LOL.)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! My daughter and I are actually driving up tomorrow to spend the rest of the week and weekend to get a bit of a look around. We do have one house to look at in Columbia - and it is our favorite from viewing online. I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide! I never knew moving was so much work (I have done it before it my younger days and it was never this complicated, I must be getting old. LOL.)
Cool! Are you staying in the Columbia area? Although it could be a headache, it might be a good idea to test out the commute to see how it is...

I hope you find what you are looking for, though. Columbia is a good town...but definitely check out some other areas of Nashville/Middle TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville