Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 AM

45 posts, read 90,887 times

Advertisements

I will stay for some days in Nashville and would like to go to Opry on a Tuesday night.
I will arrive in early september and I have heard that shows in Opry are quickly sold out.
Should I buy a ticket in 6 month advance or wait til one or two months before arriving ?
Is there any other live country music enterteinment in the city ?
Local people like these performances or they are for tourists?
Those Jackson boat musical shows are worthiness?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
We don't go often, we've never had trouble getting Opry tickets at the last minute. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the boat over the Opry. It's a good show and unless you hit the Opry on a night with one or two mainstream headliners, it can be a bit lame. We do dinner or lunch on the boat a couple times a year and it's always a good time.

For other entertainment, just hit 2nd and Broadway. There is always good entertainment. remarkably good in some cases. Better than some of the stars.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 15,001 times
You should have to buy tickets 6 months in advance. I would get them about a month ahead of time or at least a couple of weeks ahead of time. The Ryman Auditorium usually has a show about every night. Also the Nashville Nightlife Theater and the General Jackson Showboat also have regular shows. Both of these serve dinner with the show. I have to agree with the comments of the last person, you can always find good entertainment on 2nd ave and Broadway.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Gaylord has many tour package options that include hotel + bus to the Opry or other Gaylord properties. (General Jackson). You may find the price of the package deal very attractive. The seating chart is somewhat helpful if you want a front row seat close to the stage. Frankly, there is not a bad seat in the house. The smaller size of the Ryman brings you even closer to the stage. Bring a camera & enjoy the show! Flash is permitted (but useless over a distance).

The Tuesday Nite Opry is a little different in that each artist spends about 15 minutes on stage. This gives them the opportunity to do more than just a tune or 2. There is still a mix of new & older artists. You may end up reserving your tickets in advance but won't know the lineup until your trip. At he 2-1 month time you may have a better idea of who to expect.

The General Jackson boat tours are fun.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I want to add that MARCIO has expressed interest in seeing more of what the locals see, too. I think the Gen Jackson/Opry/and Ryman are wonderful ideas, not just for tourists, but for anyone interested in music and entertainment.

However, I think we should make up a list of "off the tourist map" places to visit for nightlife, so we can promote more than the "touristy" image of Nashville.

Of course, it's hard to tell what exactly will be going on in September, but it's never too early to come up with suggestions!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Agreed...I have been to the Opry probably 4 times in my life and all but once was with a tourist. It's just not something we do too often here. But it is worth checking out, for sure. As far as getting tickets in advance, I seriously doubt you'll have problems especially on the Tuesday night performance. I think the most popular shows are the early evening shows on Saturday nights. That's generally when you get the "big name" stars in.

As far as more off-the-beaten path places to check out for live music...I'll post again when I have some more time but I think that's a good idea.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM

45 posts, read 90,887 times
Default thank you folks

Thank you folks, you are already making my Nashville visit wonderful.
With your precious help I am sure to see the best of Nasville.

4 days and 4 nights are, of course, not enough to visit and see everything . I will stay three entire days visiting Nashville attractions and will choose one day roundtrip to go to Lookout Mountain and Jack Daniel's distillery or Memphis, it 's a very hard choice.

Thanks again

Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 AM

164 posts, read 398,364 times
If you can buy your Grand Ole Opry tickets in advance, I would. As the time gets closer, if a name star has been added to the show it may be impossible to get tickets.

I would say if you know the date, then buy the ticket.

Broadway is a great place to visit since you can hear live music all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville