Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 16,675 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I live in Nashville, Donelson Hermitage area. I'm just looking for fun, clean, non-touristy things to do in Nashville...I'm a female in my mid 20s. I dont know if that makes any bit of difference. I am open to new interests. The bar and club scene is just not for me at this time, and I hate bowling lol. Can any one suggest some clean, non costly things that might be fun. I really want to get out and start doing new things. I've pretty much seen all the cliche tourist spots, and I am doing an overall 180 on my life and who I hang out with. Really looking for something new. Any suggestions? I'm open to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
  • Canoe the Harpeth River
  • Take a stroll in downtown Franklin
  • Attend a Sounds baseball game
  • Talk a walk/run around Warner Park or Radnor Lake
  • Wine tasting & picnic at Arrington Vineyards
  • Drive the Natchez Parkway and take in some of the historical sites
  • Flea Market at the fairgrounds
  • Jack Daniels Distillery tour (about an hour from Nashville)
  • Songwriters night at Bluebird Cafe
  • Browse through tons of CDs/records at Phonoluxe and grab some authentic Mexican food next door at La Hacienda

Just a start...hope this helps!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
  • Canoe the Harpeth River
  • Take a stroll in downtown Franklin
  • Attend a Sounds baseball game
  • Talk a walk/run around Warner Park or Radnor Lake
  • Wine tasting & picnic at Arrington Vineyards
  • Drive the Natchez Parkway and take in some of the historical sites
  • Flea Market at the fairgrounds
  • Jack Daniels Distillery tour (about an hour from Nashville)
  • Songwriters night at Bluebird Cafe
  • Browse through tons of CDs/records at Phonoluxe and grab some authentic Mexican food next door at La Hacienda

Just a start...hope this helps!
Great list of suggestions. I would say attending any of the sporting events in town would be a non-tourist or at least tourist-neutral activity...but of course that could get expensive.

Visiting and hiking any of the parks in the area (especially the likes of the Warner Parks and Radnor Lake) can be great for those who love the outdoors (but don't want to travel far).

To the OP: What are your interests? There are a number of things to do! Do you mind spending money on these activities, or would you rather find great things to do that are free or don't cost a lot?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
Check out the list of interest groups on meetup.com!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM

126 posts, read 326,870 times
If you like to cook or have an interest in Cooking. Viking in Franklin has some great classes as well as Whole Foods. I would also browse Meetup.com..there are a ton of groups on there that do a variety of different things based on interest.

If you like music. Grimey's always has in store performances. Go check out there website. Summer is coming so The Farmer's Markets..East Nashville, Woodbine, Downtown which is open all year. A few festivals will be happening.

Get out and explore..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I second the Grimey's recommendation. I read somewhere that it was voted "Best Record Store in America" recently.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
"Cruise" the Greenway! Although prior to my move here I was a tourist that checked it out as one of my first priorities.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM

67 posts, read 202,585 times
Lots of great ideas:

365 Things To Do In Nashville | Everyday, Something New.

Nashvillest - All you ever wanted to know about the Music City.

Also:
-Free trivia at a local restaurant (Calhoun's, Alley Pub, Barefoot Charlies are all restaurants I can think of that have trivia nights)
-Lots of spring and summer festivals coming up in the area
-Fitness classes at community centers around the city: Nashville.gov - Parks and Recreation - Community Centers
-Catch a movie at the Belcourt Theater

Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 PM

47 posts, read 118,275 times
First I must ask, what in the world does clean mean to you? No alcohol involved? No dirty dancing? No smoking of cigarettes or otherwise? No violence or people cursing? Then avoid some of the area malls. "Clean" can mean so many different things depending on who you are.

Here are some more wholesome options, that I consider pretty clean. There are boundless things to do here, it all depends on your personal interests.
-Go dancing on Friday nights in the summer to Big Band music at the Centennial Park picnic shelter.
-Stop in on Wednesday evenings at Centennial Park with a picnic basket in hand to watch a movie outdoors during their overwhelmingly popular summer series.
-Check out the various festivals happening (look at the Nashville Scene for current calendars)-like the upcoming craft fair at Centennial Park.

-Go to a Frist Friday. (Frist Center for the Visual Arts - Nashville, TN -)
-See a play at the Darkhorse Theatre or something a little grander at TPAC (TPAC : Tennessee Performing Arts Center : TPAC)
-Go watch some ImprovNashville or see a big comedian at Zanie's (watch out though, some of that humor is not clean)
-Hop around the city's fine art galleries during the First Saturday Art Crawl.
-Volunteer! Improve our area and have an amazing experience doing so!

Why not spend a day in Hillsboro Village?
-Start off the day with some coffee at Fido and hope to see some big musician walk in.
-Spend time shopping in any of the cute little boutiques on the block (I especially like Fire Finch and Pangea). Hell even, try on a wedding dress if you want at Village Bridal.
-Walk down to the amazing Dragon Park (officially named Fannie Mae Dee's)--they have music for families some Sunday afternoons.
-Go book perusing across the street at BookMan/BookWoman
-If it's summer, stay a while and watch an old film on the side of the Belcourt (Welcome to the Belcourt Theatre - Nashville's non-profit venue for film, music & events). If not, just buy a ticket for whatever comes most highly recommended.
-Eat dinner in the area, whether it's hot dogs or fried chicken to pancakes or sushi, it will undoubtedly be delicious.

Spend a day in East Nashville
-Grab coffee in the morning at Ugly Mugs or Bongo Java
-Eat brunch at Marche or MadDonna's
-Check out the Groove for some new music and the Turnip Truck for groceries.
-Go to the East Park Community Center and for 3 dollars you get an all day pass to swim laps, take a yoga or Zumba class, and play games like pool and ping pong in their game room.
-Spend the rest of your afternoon in Shelby Bottoms/Greenway--hit the golf course if that's your thing, high tail it up the paths on the greenway, watch a ball game or go fishing in their pond.
-Eat dinner at Batter'd n Fried, Pizzareal, The Rosepepper Cantina for some Mexican food, or Allium and the Holland House for some super fine dining.

Nashville has so much to offer I'm sure you can find some activities just right for you.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizpluschris View Post
-See a play at the Darkhorse Theatre
The Darkhorse! It's been a while since I've seen a play there...but what an experience! I saw A Streetcar Named Desire and The Importance of Being Earnest there...truly great, intimate feel...just how theatre was meant to be!

Excellent suggestion!

(man, I need to go back)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: