Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
So I am relocating to Nashville by this summer to start a PHD at the Vanderbilt University. I am still in the planning phase of everything but I want to look for any suggestion in order to have my best staying there.
I have never been to Nashville, I am from Italy and this will be my first step in the USA apart an holyday experience in NY.
So my questions are:
Where do you suggest me to live in Nashville?
I will relocate with other two or just one Italian friend as well, therefore my idea was to live both of us or all of us (if we will be three) in the same flat.
I already had a look at the map and I think that the Nashville area is quite big and we will need a car to move there ( a friend who lives there suggested already this to me) ( this requires us to have an USA driving license). I think that a possibility should be to stay close to the University and go there by bike ( 3 miles max radius far from the Vanderbilt University) and use the car for weekends and other necessities.
We will have each of us about a 18K year salary. I think that each of us should pay about 700 - 900 USD for the house rent and other living costs (electricity - gas - water etc ... ) and use the rest for the food as well . I think that we would save monthly at least about 400 USD for occasional expenses as well. Any suggestion would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 AM

126 posts, read 327,305 times
Hello,

You want to stay as close to Vanderbilt as possible. I would look at apts/homes in the West End, Hillsboro Village, Sylvan Park area. Look on Craigslist but be careful there. Another resource may be the Nashville Scene classifieds..best of luck to you.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beika82 View Post
Hi Everyone,
So I am relocating to Nashville by this summer to start a PHD at the Vanderbilt University. I am still in the planning phase of everything but I want to look for any suggestion in order to have my best staying there.
I have never been to Nashville, I am from Italy and this will be my first step in the USA apart an holyday experience in NY.
So my questions are:
Where do you suggest me to live in Nashville?
I will relocate with other two or just one Italian friend as well, therefore my idea was to live both of us or all of us (if we will be three) in the same flat.
I already had a look at the map and I think that the Nashville area is quite big and we will need a car to move there ( a friend who lives there suggested already this to me) ( this requires us to have an USA driving license). I think that a possibility should be to stay close to the University and go there by bike ( 3 miles max radius far from the Vanderbilt University) and use the car for weekends and other necessities.
We will have each of us about a 18K year salary. I think that each of us should pay about 700 - 900 USD for the house rent and other living costs (electricity - gas - water etc ... ) and use the rest for the food as well . I think that we would save monthly at least about 400 USD for occasional expenses as well. Any suggestion would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
Hello,

You want to stay as close to Vanderbilt as possible. I would look at apts/homes in the West End, Hillsboro Village, Sylvan Park area. Look on Craigslist but be careful there. Another resource may be the Nashville Scene classifieds..best of luck to you.

thank you for the areas you suggested me.
What about apartments.com website?
And what about living cost as weel ? Do you think that with this budget we should get enought for out staying ?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 AM

126 posts, read 327,305 times
I am not familiar with that site but I think it primarily deals with apt. complexes. I think if you guys are going to share a home or apt you should be able to find something in your price range. Most homes for rent include water so you would be responsible for electricity, gas and cable/internet. Most landlords use Craigslist I just caution you about potential scammers because you are not here. Be careful about sending any deposit money to anyone.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
I would suggest you call or email the school for off-campus graduate student housing suggestions. Vanderbilt also has a website for this. There are certain buildings in the area that have many graduate students. For now, I would not get a car. Stay close to the campus and you can walk to get what you need. There are many stores, banks, and restaurants right near the campus. Many students also have bikes. There are also bus lines near campus and they are free for Vanderbilt students.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,096,537 times
Here is the link for the off campus housing list for graduate students but you DO need a student ID number. There is also a number for international students to call:

https://apphost1a.its.vanderbilt.edu/housing/Main/

A Craig's List listings (put Vanderbilt or 'Vandy" in the search at the top:

Condo - 807 18th Avenue South #312 Nashville, TN 37203 (http://nashville.craigslist.org/apa/2360853473.html - broken link)

I don't know anything about this place but it has some nice photos of the area:

ASHLEY PLACE CONDOMINIUMS Live in Nashville?s most walkable & convenient neighborhood Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village (http://www.vandyhousing.com/Ashley_Place_Condominiums/Ashley_Place_in_Vandy_Hillsboro_Village.html - broken link)

This website from Vanderbilt helps with getting a TN drivers license in case you want to get a car but I agree, it would be better if you don't NEED one and then you can rent one sometime for a trip.

VISIT | Vanderbilt International Services and International Tax*|*Vanderbilt University

Best of luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,096,537 times
PS. I am guessing gas, electricity, water, sewer, cable TV & internet would run about $300 a month for 2 people, at most . . . . but that is just a guess.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
Just to add to CountryGirl's very helpful post, if you wanted to rent a car, many students sign up for Zip Car rentals. They keep these cars on campus, near The Commons, behind Hank Ingram Hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville