Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM

38 posts, read 86,250 times

Advertisements

I really need to move from here....I moved here from Upstate NY and now all I wanna do is move back. Been here 8 years in TN, some Knoxville and some Nashville. I am over these summers and the winters here are just not for me. Never thought I would say it....but I miss snow. Anyone here from back east feeling this way?? Colorado, Oregon, Washington...yup!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
For the benefit of us New Englander's who are considering moving to TN - can you be specific about what you don't like about the summers and winters in TN?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM

38 posts, read 86,250 times
Yes....I don't like how there is not really a spring. Summer heat starts end of May and continues through the end of September. I like NY because our summers are pretty much 2 and a half months and it is waaaay less humid. Winters are a nightmare here when there is snow because everything shuts down and i understand it, but I am used to life going on. But...really, I miss snow at Christmas and Thanksgiving. I am used to it and it doesn't feel like the holiday without it.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,990 times
From a northern standard (I am originally from Mass), You basically skip Dec 15 thru the end of February, but July/August is extended from June thru September. Its warm here but not unbearable but I guess that is everyones individual perception. I have lived in Dallas and Phoenix so my perception is probably a little different. For example, Phoenix, its 100+ for 4 months, but at Christmas, you get that can of cranberry sauce you forgot in shorts and a t shirt and enjoy the lighting of the cactii. Dallas is just awful with the heat too. We just moved back from Dallas in May and we found it comfortable.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiebeth1229 View Post
Yes....I don't like how there is not really a spring.
I saw that and was amused because I know people who moved from TX to middle TN and they love the 4 seasons up there compared to the 2 we have on the gulf coast. And my sister in a recent conversation told me she has great memories of excitement as spring came to Nashville when she was a little girl. I know also a couple in San Jose, CA who were both high school friends of mine and they really miss: (1) warm summer nights (2) crisp autumn nights at school football games.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,096 times
As a former Vermonter I can tell you, I'll take the heat over 5-6 months (Oct/Nov. - April/May) of winter anytime.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiebeth1229 View Post
I really need to move from here....I moved here from Upstate NY and now all I wanna do is move back. Been here 8 years in TN, some Knoxville and some Nashville. I am over these summers and the winters here are just not for me. Never thought I would say it....but I miss snow. Anyone here from back east feeling this way?? Colorado, Oregon, Washington...yup!!!!
yup

Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
Having lived in bitter winters (Marquette, MI thank you very much) and horrible life-sucking humid summers (Memphis)...I find Nashville a VERY happy medium. Winter is grey...but it's not winter in April and I'm all for that! The great thing is about places is...there are a lot of them! You'll find a place you like, good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
I'm from NY and feel the summers are less humid here. I do feel we get 4 seasons here, it's just the summers are a little longer and the winters a little shorter. Snow at Christmas you can get here depending on how the weather is that year. I think TN has the better mix of the 4 seasons. I'm just north of Nashville.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:52 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I'm from NY and feel the summers are less humid here. I do feel we get 4 seasons here, it's just the summers are a little longer and the winters a little shorter. Snow at Christmas you can get here depending on how the weather is that year. I think TN has the better mix of the 4 seasons. I'm just north of Nashville.

I agree.....

55* at 6am on the plateau....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville