Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 PM

32 posts, read 73,142 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I'm very close to deciding on whether or not I want to move to Nashville or not. I came to visit in April and really loved it. I'm a little worried about 3 things: crime, meeting people and jobs. I'm currently working for an internet company doing marketing/operations management, I have a marketing background & restaurant background but really want to work in the music industry. I haven't seen many jobs at all in Nashville and feel like it would be hard to get a server/bartender gig while I am looking for a permanent job due to the competition of everyone else wanting those jobs.

I've read through the other forums and visited a lot of neighborhoods in person while I was out there, so I'm comfortable somewhat with looking for places to live. I found it pretty easy to meet others my age at the honky tonks, but what are other places to meet people besides Broadway? Are there good contemporary type churches that have a lot of younger attendees? I hear Nashville can be somewhat clique-y if you're not from there, so that is why I ask. I just want to dive into the area when I move and meet some good friends. Any advice you have would be great...thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnonnac View Post
Hi-

I'm very close to deciding on whether or not I want to move to Nashville or not. I came to visit in April and really loved it. I'm a little worried about 3 things: crime, meeting people and jobs. I'm currently working for an internet company doing marketing/operations management, I have a marketing background & restaurant background but really want to work in the music industry. I haven't seen many jobs at all in Nashville and feel like it would be hard to get a server/bartender gig while I am looking for a permanent job due to the competition of everyone else wanting those jobs.
From what I've heard our job market is pretty tight like everyone else's. The last stat I heard (probably 6 months ago) was that we were sitting around 8.9% unemployment which is lower than the State's (9.8%) and the national average. Still, those are all just numbers until you're the one looking for work.

The music industry is pretty competitive as you might imagine, however I have a friend who is looking for entry-level work and has gotten a couple of interviews. So I know there are jobs, but the competition is strong.

As far as your priorities go, crime isn't really much of a concern in most areas of town. But it all depends on where you decide to live. Have you had a chance to narrow it down to a certain part(s) of town?

Quote:
I've read through the other forums and visited a lot of neighborhoods in person while I was out there, so I'm comfortable somewhat with looking for places to live. I found it pretty easy to meet others my age at the honky tonks, but what are other places to meet people besides Broadway? Are there good contemporary type churches that have a lot of younger attendees? I hear Nashville can be somewhat clique-y if you're not from there, so that is why I ask. I just want to dive into the area when I move and meet some good friends. Any advice you have would be great...thanks!!
Honestly you're probably not going to meet a lot of locals at the honkytonks on Broadway unless its just before a Predators game. There's nothing wrong with Broadway and certainly sometimes locals do hang out there, but that's mostly for the tourists. If you're looking to meet others in the nightlife scene, (and I'm not an expert here, by the way) I would think you'd have better luck in the West End/Hillsboro Village area or 12South, the Gulch, or East Nashville, or Germantown. Those tend to attract more locals than the tourist district does.

As far as churches go, you are talking about the "buckle of the Bible Belt" so there are loads of churches here. There are several mega-churches that are contemporary...but that is somewhat of a relative term depending your denominational affiliation. For nondenominational churches you might look at Belmont Church (on Music Row) or Cross Point (several locations). I know there are many more than that, but those 2 come to mind. There are a number of large denominational churches around town too...so if you lean one direction you can DM me or just repost and I'll toss out a few more that I've heard of.

A lot of people use churches as a way to meet people...and I'm not trying to sound cynical...but it can be a great place to meet other like-minded people. Likewise, I hear often on this forum that Nashvillians tend to ask new acquantances where they go to church, so that might tell you something. I've not found that to be the case, however, but several others have.

I don't think Nashville is too clique-ey. We have a very high population of relocated individuals here...my guess is you won't have a problem fitting in.

Good luck in your job search and home search. If you have specific areas of town you're looking at, let us know and we can help some there too.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 131,055 times
We are going on our 3rd week here, and everyone is super friendly. I haven't had anyone ask if I attend church, & have had a few people from work invite me to their house or out. I also had a coworker overhear me say that I got lost. She started a conversation with me & then have me her number & told me to call her if I ever got lost. My bf is only working with a few people, and has been invited out by every single one of them. Maybe we haven't met that many people, but cliquey is definately not how I would describe people here.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM

216 posts, read 346,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_ny View Post
We are going on our 3rd week here, and everyone is super friendly. I haven't had anyone ask if I attend church, & have had a few people from work invite me to their house or out. I also had a coworker overhear me say that I got lost. She started a conversation with me & then have me her number & told me to call her if I ever got lost. My bf is only working with a few people, and has been invited out by every single one of them. Maybe we haven't met that many people, but cliquey is definately not how I would describe people here.
Not to be my dog who butts-in in front of my less attention needy dog, but hearing this is better than my mid-morning cup of coffee - and my mid-morning cup of coffee is really good, so . . . . (that's a horrible attempt at a lil joke). Very happy to hear you guys are coming along so nice and so soon and are able to dispell some of the ongoing themes we've been hearing from time to time. It also sounds like you've found a couple good watering holes; from your other posts having concern about finding a certain ale to get your drink on with and the like. I'm hoping a good GPS unit will help us get around at first. I'm wondering what it is you do?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM

56 posts, read 131,055 times
Haha actually, we've yet to find a bar. All the ones mentioned were 40 minutes away. That's a little to far for us, but we went to Frugal Mac Doogal's and picked up some good stuff. I work at a retail store. The place my bf will be working at is still being built, but his boss took him out to lunch the whole first week and refused to let him pay, and also drove him all over downtown Nashville to show him around.

I still haven't changed my license over, which causes issues sometimes. And one time we went for dinner & drinks, the bartender wanted to cut my bf off after 4 drinks (he wasn't drunk at all seeing as we were eating a meal) but kept serving me no problem... Just struck me as odd.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM

216 posts, read 346,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_ny View Post
Haha actually, we've yet to find a bar. All the ones mentioned were 40 minutes away. That's a little to far for us, but we went to Frugal Mac Doogal's and picked up some good stuff. I work at a retail store. The place my bf will be working at is still being built, but his boss took him out to lunch the whole first week and refused to let him pay, and also drove him all over downtown Nashville to show him around.

I still haven't changed my license over, which causes issues sometimes. And one time we went for dinner & drinks, the bartender wanted to cut my bf off after 4 drinks (he wasn't drunk at all seeing as we were eating a meal) but kept serving me no problem... Just struck me as odd.

That's funny. If you're a dude, it's not too difficult to figure out what was going on there with the bartender. Possibly the 'Ol jealous of the boyfriend situation - who knows.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Thanks Everyone!

Sorry it's been forever since I've checked the site, but thank you for your input on all of the above things I posted. I am really excited to move to Nashville and will definitely take your advice on things to check out.

Some other questions I have (sorry):

1. Is there Wells Fargo Bank out there?
2. What can I expect in fees for transferring my CA plates to TN license plates on my car?
3. What is typical car insurance cost like out there?

Thanks again you guys. So nice of you to offer such great advice.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnonnac View Post
Sorry it's been forever since I've checked the site, but thank you for your input on all of the above things I posted. I am really excited to move to Nashville and will definitely take your advice on things to check out.

Some other questions I have (sorry):

1. Is there Wells Fargo Bank out there?
2. What can I expect in fees for transferring my CA plates to TN license plates on my car?
3. What is typical car insurance cost like out there?

Thanks again you guys. So nice of you to offer such great advice.
1. Yes, we have Wells Fargo. You can Google a map of branch locations.

2. It's $90 in Davidson County, plus you have to pass an emissions test.

Title and Registration | Davidson County Clerk John Arriola

3. Car insurance varies depending on the type of driver and the carrier, but it is required by state law. I can't give you a good estimate because we have USAA and we also have two teenage drivers .

Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks Wmsn4Life good to know. I will have to have full coverage since I finance my car, so I'll check around.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM

228 posts, read 528,723 times
1. To add... you'll find more local options with BofA then Wells out here. They've added quite a few, but BofA was the "Wells" to us when we moved from San Diego years ago. Also, once you are comfortable here, Ascend (credit union) has been a great option for us too.
2. Yep, what Wmsn4Life said :-)
3. Will Montgomery with Montgomery & Associates has been excellent for us on rates and service (615)483-4760
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville