Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I will be relocating to Nashville from Minneapolis in 2 weeks and will be working in Goodlettsville. I have been looking at buying a home in Hendersonville. We have 2 boys (8 and 12) and good schools / neighborhood is a priority. My wife planned on looking for a job in the area but was recently offered a good employment opportunity in Franklin. Everything I have read on the forum indicates the commute to and from Nashville during rush hour is pretty extensive. How long of a commute is realistic from Hendersonville to Franklin during rush hour? 45 minutes?

Are there any good areas (schools, neighborhoods) in between Hendersonville and Franklin that I should consider? Basically to cut down the commute time for us both? I guess you could consider us suburban type people where we enjoy a little space with a backyard (we have a dog)...so I don't believe a downtown condo type arrangement would work.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. We are excited about the move and look forward to being a part of the community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,098,335 times
What is your ballpark budget for the house?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

About $300K

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,847,048 times
You should look into the Sumner County side of Goodlettsville and the Mansker Farms area of Hendersonville. These areas have the shortest commute times and offer good school districts.

From these areas (Long Hollow Exit of I-65 or Center Point exit of 386) you're looking at around a 45 minute Franklin commute during rush hour. Outside of rush hour it's about 30 minutes. That's assuming the job is in Cool Springs.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM

58 posts, read 202,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota to Nashville View Post
Hello all! I will be relocating to Nashville from Minneapolis in 2 weeks and will be working in Goodlettsville. I have been looking at buying a home in Hendersonville. We have 2 boys (8 and 12) and good schools / neighborhood is a priority. My wife planned on looking for a job in the area but was recently offered a good employment opportunity in Franklin. Everything I have read on the forum indicates the commute to and from Nashville during rush hour is pretty extensive. How long of a commute is realistic from Hendersonville to Franklin during rush hour? 45 minutes?

Are there any good areas (schools, neighborhoods) in between Hendersonville and Franklin that I should consider? Basically to cut down the commute time for us both? I guess you could consider us suburban type people where we enjoy a little space with a backyard (we have a dog)...so I don't believe a downtown condo type arrangement would work.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. We are excited about the move and look forward to being a part of the community!
The drive from Hendersonville to Franklin can be 45 minutes in rush hour, but that would be a good day. I would say from Hendersonville just to Nashville in the mornings would average 35-40 minutes if you leave between 6:55-7:30 which seems to be when most people leave. Then, you'd add another 15 minutes to your Franklin commute depending on where she works. If you do choose Hendersonville, Mansker Farms is the closest subdivision to I-65 and might shave off 5-7 minutes of my stated commute (although I can't personally recommend it because you'll just add to my traffic problem. )

Without traffic, it can take 40-45 minutes to get from Hendersonville to Franklin. So, if she leaves earlier (6:30 to 6:45) or later (7:40 to 8:00) that could be what she should expect.

Nashville would be the best compromise for both of you and you'd always be going against traffic, but the majority of metro public schools are substandard to put it nicely. There are GREAT elementary schools in Nashville (Julia Green, Percy Priest, Harpeth Valley), but I'd say the list drops of dramatically when you start looking for middle schools and then I will go as far to say that all metro high schools should be avoided if you can (would require private schooling which can average $10k a child per year or magnet schools which I believe are based on lottery and other requirements).

I personally live in Hendersonville and would say if you are both splitting the drive on opposite sides, Brentwood might be a better compromise if you're looking at a suburb. The drive won't be as bad for you and as it would be for her if you lived in Hendersonville. Schools in both Hendersonville and Brentwood are great and you can't go wrong with the education you'll get at either. One thing about Brentwood though is that homes are much more expensive than in Hendersonville and if you had the same home (size and quality) in both towns, I'd say it would run at least 20% higher in Brentwood just for location. Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Thank you very much for the information. It is most appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,480,404 times
I made the commute from Hendersonville to Franklin (Cool Springs) for about a year. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it wasn't horrible. At the time I lived about 5-7 minutes from the Indian Lake exit on the bypass. My commute most mornings was around 45 minutes (arriving at work at 7:15). But my evening commute was almost always worse for some reason...55-60 minutes (leaving work at 4:30).

Still, Hendersonville and Sumner Co Goodlettsville are both attractive options for what you mentioned: schools/neighborhoods. And something in your price range would definitely be available.

Brentwood would be somewhat of a middle ground, though your commute would be longer. That might work.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM

369 posts, read 943,278 times
brentwood or green hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville