Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
So a few things:

1) I know 2K in rent sounds like a large sum, but I don't need a car in NYC. So figure $800 - $900 for rent in TN, plus a car payment, insurance, gas money... I'm assuming $700 - $800 total. At the end of the day it's almost the same cost of living number. As much as I'd like to live in a place like "Velocity" the $1,600 monthly rent seems like a bit much. I've seen rents for a building called Eleven North at $1,200 on Craigslist.

I can swing it for sure with the bump in pay, but if I can wait a year and "save" some money I'd prefer to do that.

2) I guess that leads me to my 2nd question, what other areas would you recommend? Is there anything around Vandy I should check out? Hillsboro Village?

3) The "bottle service" joke had me rolling on the floor. It's very sad, but in NYC you have to be willing buy a bottle if you want to get into a nice lounge or club. I have no problem going out and having fun like any other single guy my age, but having to constantly pay $400+ for a $30 bottle of Vodka...and that's just to get in the door... is very frustrating. And if you're not willing to do that, you somehow have to have a group of 3 girls to a guy, or know a promoter. I was never turned down at the door in Miami (you might have to wait and pay a cover) but you can get in just about anywhere. So a change of pace might be fun.

I've also tired of the dating scene here. Sex & The City was the best and worst thing to happen to women in NYC. I'm hoping that Nashville would be a bit different.

4) The move is more than just a money thing, although it's a part of it. It would be a major step forward career wise, and in a few years if I'm not happy I could always move on with a great name on my Resume.
Byran. You will do just fine here. My son was reluctant to move here from NJ, But it is over 3 years now, and he has not regreted it at all. He will be 28 in May and he happens to live in Murfreesboro, and goes into Nashville alot. He has even found an entire group in a bar in Murfreesboro, that are from NY and NJ and they watch the Giants games together. He has met a girlfriend here, who I know he will be asking to Marry this summer. She is a native. I also have a daughter who at 22 has found a good life here, even though I moved her at as she was starting her senior year in HS. She is getting married in Oct , also to a native who she met at MTSU..
Hermitage does not have much of a singles scene You may want to check out East Nashville as the gulch does have higher rents. You can compare east Nashville to a smaller version of Greenich Village.
I am orginally from LI , NY but have lived in NYC in Chelsea. I moved here from NJ. I love it here and would not move. I moved here when my husband when my husband changed jobs, because he was offered a transfer here, but unfortunatly he only made 4 years and passed away. He did love it here, and I had routes here since I graduated from College here.
Good Luck! Do not listen to the negatives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 12,727 times
Bryan,

I moved to Nashville from NYC last summer and love it down here. The big thing for me was that I was ready to leave NYC, though -- I was tired of the crowds, the expense, the big law firm lifestyle. So for me, it has been a great move and I've never regretted it or looked back. It sounds like you're moving here for the right reasons and with an open mind, so I think you'll be happy here too.

I can't speak to the dating scene because I'm married, but I can say that there is plenty of nightlife here -- despite what some posters say. If you like good music, you can find something to do in Nashville.

Also, I agree with you about living in the Gulch. We were living in Astoria, paying $1700 for a small place, and we found an older place in Green Hills for $1150. The difference was definitely made up with car payments and insurance -- we didn't have cars in NYC either.

Anyway, as I said, we're really happy here. If you have any specific questions let me know, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
I didn't realize rent was that high at Velocity. So, let me throw out a few more places you might check out. There are several places that will work and will have a lot more singles than what you're going to find in Hermitage. I live in East Nashville and there is definitely any variety of person here. It's a big area, so it varies by neighborhood. Germantown is also a place to check out. There's a new apt building that's just about finished that looks pretty cool....not sure what the rents are. Some other areas are 12South, Hillsboro Village (there will be a lot of college students there), Downtown, Rolling Mill Hill. Any of these areas should have a good number of single people and will also have bars and restaurants close by.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You can compare east Nashville to a smaller version of Greenich Village.
This is the most ridiculuos thing I have ever heard.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
This is the most ridiculuos thing I have ever heard.
If you don't like it here leave!!! You complain all the time, so go back up north. My Son, daughter, and I love it here, and if we didn't we would leave, not stay and complain. Its not rediculous. There are Clubs, Bars and restaurants in East Nashville, and I find some simularities.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM

200 posts, read 324,219 times
Default I'm From NYC & am Planning to MOVE to the Hermitage area TOO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
I'm a 33 year old guy living on the Upper East Side of NYC.

My office would be in Hermitage not that far from "Nashville Shores" per Google maps, and the cost of living in that area seems great. I'm paying 2K for a very small apartment now, so the idea of paying 600 - 900 for a 800 sq foot apartment is very attractive. I'd prefer to live in the "Gulch" area, but based on the apartment prices I've seen (for example the Velocity in the Gulch building) I'd rather bank the extra money for a year before making that kind of move.
Hi! I just read your message here while I, myself am planning to Re-locate TOO, from NYC. WOW!! & yeah, I know how you feel that sometimes NYC could get too much & you want to find a slower pace, but most importantly I congratulate you on your new job!!

So, it's So Cool!! I'm looking to re-locate to the Hermitage section too Near Nashville Shores, but couldn't really find anything for that $600 price (matter of fact, I have 2 friends that I know down there & both came from Syracuse, NY & we went to look @ apartments right near the Nash. Shores, but those apart. complexes they looked @ were HIGHER than $600 & they could only afford no more than $600). Both my friends have to move from Franklin (it's 30 mins. away from Nash) into another affordable apart. persuaded them to look around Nash Shores b/c of that Lake. So, both them (my friends) & me are looking for affordable aparts. (& of course, being a Native NYorker I know what you mean about a 1 Studio in NYC being around the "K's" - I Work in NYC & see stores come and go & Real Estate SUCKS!!). They're looking for both of them & I'm looking for myself.

So, maybe you could help me too!!

1) Could you tell me about this "Gulch" area??

2) Is it Near Music Row too??

I thought I saw someone here mention something about Music Row.

3) Are you a MUSICIAN like me?? & if so,

4) What do you play & what type of music do you play??

5) Do you play here in NYC as well??

Just by being in Nash. you probably would get a WHOLE LOT BETTER GIGS than here in crummy NYC.

Anyway, if you could let me know if you have any leads for studio aparts. near the Nash. Shores (I could only afford around $400-$500 for right now. I'm in the middle of networking in my music field - music ed. & figure that I could start out w/ a $400-$500 apart. just to Pay The Rent 1st b/f I can get more into my Music ed. job.). Anyway, please let me know I would gladly appreciate any help you could provide me w/.

Last edited by certaincircles; 04-21-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 02:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
If you don't like it here leave!!! You complain all the time, so go back up north. My Son, daughter, and I love it here, and if we didn't we would leave, not stay and complain. Its not rediculous. There are Clubs, Bars and restaurants in East Nashville, and I find some simularities.
If your criteria for "things that make a place like Greenwich Village" are:
(1) The existence of clubs
(2) The existence of bars
(3) The existence of restaurants

...then other places that are like Greenwich Village include: virtually any part of any major American city.

In terms of architecture, density, demographic mix, look, feel, infrastructure, or just about any other marker -- not really a good fit.

I don't understand the rush to analogize East Nashville with entirely different Northeastern equivalents all of the time. East Nashville doesn't need to be something it's not to be a place people want to live. In fact, its strengths are probably in its complete distinction from those places.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 32,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
Hi! I just read your message here while I, myself am planning to Re-locate TOO, from NYC. WOW!! & yeah, I know how you feel that sometimes NYC could get too much & you want to find a slower pace, but most importantly I congratulate you on your new job!!

So, it's So Cool!! I'm looking to re-locate to the Hermitage section too Near Nashville Shores, but couldn't really find anything for that $600 price (matter of fact, I have 2 friends that I know down there & both came from Syracuse, NY & we went to look @ apartments right near the Nash. Shores, but those apart. complexes they looked @ were HIGHER than $600 & they could only afford no more than $600). Both my friends have to move from Franklin (it's 30 mins. away from Nash) into another affordable apart. persuaded them to look around Nash Shores b/c of that Lake. So, both them (my friends) & me are looking for affordable aparts. (& of course, being a Native NYorker I know what you mean about a 1 Studio in NYC being around the "K's" - I Work in NYC & see stores come and go & Real Estate SUCKS!!). They're looking for both of them & I'm looking for myself.

So, maybe you could help me too!!

1) Could you tell me about this "Gulch" area??

2) Is it Near Music Row too??

I thought I saw someone here mention something about Music Row.

3) Are you a MUSICIAN like me?? & if so,

4) What do you play & what type of music do you play??

5) Do you play here in NYC as well??

Just by being in Nash. you probably would get a WHOLE LOT BETTER GIGS than here in crummy NYC.

Anyway, if you could let me know if you have any leads for studio aparts. near the Nash. Shores (I could only afford around $400-$500 for right now. I'm in the middle of networking in my music field - music ed. & figure that I could start out w/ a $400-$500 apart. just to Pay The Rent 1st b/f I can get more into my Music ed. job.). Anyway, please let me know I would gladly appreciate any help you could provide me w/.
I'm in IT, and while I have a guitar that I'll strum here or there I'm certainly not a musician!

The Gulch area, as far as I can tell, is near Music Row. The cheaper apartments I was looking at were Cherry Creek ( Cherry Creek Apartments For Rent in Hermitage, Tennessee - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com ) and Canyon Ridge (Canyon Ridge Apartments Apartments For Rent in Hermitage, Tennessee - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com) but I've only seen them online. I'm going to visit in a week or so and will check them out then.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM

15 posts, read 32,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
If your criteria for "things that make a place like Greenwich Village" are:
(1) The existence of clubs
(2) The existence of bars
(3) The existence of restaurants

...then other places that are like Greenwich Village include: virtually any part of any major American city.

In terms of architecture, density, demographic mix, look, feel, infrastructure, or just about any other marker -- not really a good fit.

I don't understand the rush to analogize East Nashville with entirely different Northeastern equivalents all of the time. East Nashville doesn't need to be something it's not to be a place people want to live. In fact, its strengths are probably in its complete distinction from those places.

I've heard this comparison before, even in this youtube video at the 2:40 mark:

Nashville is... - YouTube

Greenwich Village or the East Village on the other side on NYC are certainly unique but I don't spend that much time in either spot. Greenwich is out of the way, it's very easy to get lost (the NYC "grid" system goes to hell south of 14th Street), and there isn't much there for me anyway as a "scene" that I can't get somewhere else closer to home.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
I would not recommend moving to Nashville if you are single and enjoy the vast nightlife of Miami and NYC. I grew up and lived most of my life in Manhattan and spent a couple of years in Miami also. Except for a few minor locations, Nashville's nightlife is extremely boring and full of hicks. I once called a lounge/club and asked if they do bottle service, and they said, "Yes, we sell bottles of beer." PM me for details.
ROFL that made me spit my coffee out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville