Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 AM

65 posts, read 142,375 times

Advertisements

Alright-I haven't been to a State Fair in probably TWO decades, and I have had this hankering to do so lately...

I know the Williamson and Wilson County fairs have just passed-admittedly they seemed shinier and fancier than the one here in Nashville...

PLUS-while scouting around on the back roads the other day, I happened upon the Fairgrounds. The NASCAR Short Track (I am a racing fan and historian) looked pretty cool, but overall, the area looked shabby and run-down, not great at all.

I do know there is a lot of history there, and I read all about the big fight with Karl Dean and Metro about closing it down, the recent vote, the debates over the Fair's future, etc.

THAT SAID-SHOULD WE STILL CHECK IT OUT?

As long as it's safe and enjoyable, I don't care WHERE it's located. The prices are dirt cheap, for sure.

Is it worth checking out, even once?

Thanks for the input as always!

P.S.-I was similarly less than impressed with nearby Greer Stadium and its location. I was almost shocked how small the footprint is of that lot/immediate stadium area. Getting a new stadium ANYWHERE right in Downtown will be a real shot in the arm for this franchise and could be a cool part of continued Riverfront and/or Downtown Redevelopment. The Sounds are one serious afterthought around here, from what I can tell-and-based on other similar metros with teams like this-it doesn't have to be this way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,474,457 times
You're right, comparing the TN State Fair to Wilson County and Williamson County isn't really a fair fight. You'd think it would be at least on par if not better than those county fairs but it just isn't. So as long as you recognize that the TN State Fair is a second tier fair to others, then you probably won't be disappointed. And if you're a racing guy, the track alone should be interesting. From what I've read we came pretty close to becoming a NASCAR track waaay back in the day, if you can believe that. Imagine how much different the area would be if the Fairground track had been made a sanctioned NASCAR track 40+ years ago?

I'd say go. It's been a long time since I went but I definitely remember it and had a lot of fun (I was in high school). It's safe for the most part but I do recall a few instances of crime at night over the years...nothing symptomatic of an ongoing safety issue...but I'd just beware that thuggery and fools tend to come out at night (not just the fair, but everywhere) and are attracted to cheap tickets and crowds. So go during the day if the temperatures aren't terrible.

As for the Sounds, you're right...they are an afterthought to local sports here. I would love to see them downtown but understand it's not an easy decision to make. I actually like Greer Stadium...more for nostalgia than the amenities of course, but I kind of like it that way.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I would wait until next year and go to the Wilson County Fair.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
I am really sorry to have to say I'd give it a miss. I went the first year I moved there and it was pretty sad. I went in the evening, like 6. There were some little carnival rides, food that didn't even entice me even though I was ready for something fried . . and maybe some chickens in a building with fans. There was some sort of 'business fair' inside another cinder block building which was some booths and some stuff for sale like fudge but it, too, was really just sad.

I have not been to the County fairs so can't compare but I was very disappointed (2010) and left after half an hour.

Sorry . . . . .

Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
BTW although it is closed, the Nashville Superspeedway is still there in Lebanon, and it holds 50,000.

It has hosted some truck series races but never got a NASCAR race.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,307 times
Unless you're dying for a funnel cake, I would probably skip it. We went a couple of years ago and wished we'd saved our money. I haven't been to the Williamson or Wilson County fairs, but I imagine they would have to be better. Personally, I think the TN State Fair could be a much better experience with a larger revamp on farmland somewhere on the edge of the county like Cane Ridge.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,304 times
The family and I went to the state fair several years ago, one of the better-attended years actually, and I was underwhelmed. I haven't been to the Williamson County Fair, but I've heard they're doing a good job with it. Wilson County's is in a class by itself around here, at least attendance-wise. The first-Saturday attendance this year was almost identical to the number of people who LIVE in this county... yes, there were some traffic issues!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

201 posts, read 320,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
BTW although it is closed, the Nashville Superspeedway is still there in Lebanon, and it holds 50,000.

It has hosted some truck series races but never got a NASCAR race.

The Superspeedway was home to Nationwide, Truck Series and Indycar races. It's a shame they shuttered it last year and use it strictly as a test site now. I was really looking forward to going to races at a track bigger than from where I come from. (it's sad I know but it'd be the largest oval in Canada if it was up there...)

Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I was at the Wilson County Fair a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: