Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 AM

38 posts, read 57,483 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a 20 year old female living in south west Michigan and I would like to move to Nashville next summer. I'm currently going to community college to get my associate degree to be a Registered nurse. By next summer I will have my core classes done, but there is a 1-2 year wait to start nursing classes here. Is there ant kind of wait down there to start nursing classes? And how easy or hard is it to find a job when you get done with school?

Also, for housing, I have good credit except that I got evicted at the beginning of this year due to my roommate moving out and I couldn't afford it alone and couldn't find anyone else. So, I knew it could be a challenge for me finding a place, but I'm planning on paying 6 months in advance. Would this help me secure a good apartment? I would also like a safe neighborhood. Would $600/month for a one bedroom or $900/month for a 2 bedroom reasonable in this area?

And my last question is how is the crime down there?

Thank you for reading my long post and answering my questions. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:19 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
I think you're going to have to research nursing schools on your own. Here is a website to start you off:

Nursing Education in Tennessee

I think nursing is an in demand career but Vanderbilt is laying people off. Hopefully by the time you graduate the Obamacare thing will be in full swing and health care providers will have a clearer understanding of the implications.

Where you live will depend on which nursing school you go to. Finding a one bedroom apt for $600 a month might be tough. $900 for a 2 bedroom is a more reasonable budget. My advice is to not be the lease holder on your next apartment, since you have had trouble in the past. Rent a room from someone who already HAS an apartment. You may be able to get help from a housing office on the campus of the school you choose.

The crime down here is fine, thanks for asking!

Depends on where you live. It's a city. As a single woman, you always need to be aware of your surroundings and find a safe place to live. When you are more sure of your plans, you can repost questions about specific areas and we'll be happy to give you our 2 cents.

Good luck with nursing school - a good solid career choice!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM

38 posts, read 57,483 times
Thank you a lot for the advice. It's just hard to get a start with researching, I don't even know where to start lol. I was also thinking of just renting a room from someone that already lives down there, but I'm a bit hesitant of moving in with a total stranger especially since I'll be by myself down there.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Just for your own research, one of my female friends rents a room near Vanderbilt with whole house privileges. It's actually a good deal for the roommate. A house in a trendy part of town, with a shady and private backyard, convenient to most other areas of town, and priced at the low end of what someone would pay for an apartment. I'm not suggesting her house for you (she currently has a roommate); I was just giving you an idea of what you might expect if you went the roommate route.

I don't work in the medical field, but I don't think it would be too hard to get a job as a nurse here after you finished your training.

Nashville, like many larger cities, has areas of low crime and pockets of high crime (and a couple with very high crime). The average doesn't mean as much as living in one of the nicer areas in town.

I'm not sure where you're going to school, but you might look in Bellevue on the west side of Nashville when you begin your search (if the location works for you). A lot of nurses and people who work at the hospitals live there (as do I) and it's a safe area for the most part.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:54 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie007 View Post
Thank you a lot for the advice. It's just hard to get a start with researching, I don't even know where to start lol. I was also thinking of just renting a room from someone that already lives down there, but I'm a bit hesitant of moving in with a total stranger especially since I'll be by myself down there.
By the way, since you're young and maybe moving for first time, just a warning. Be very careful of finding something on Craigslist. If you do find something on Craigslist, DO NOT SEND ANYONE MONEY until you have seen the place and met whoever is offering the rental, no matter what they tell you ("I've got someone else interested in the apartment, I would need a $500 deposit to hold it for you. You can send it by Western Union.").

Nashville is big enough to have a number of options for housing. It's never that much fun to look for a place but you should be able to find something that fits your needs with a little effort.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie007 View Post
If you are unable to research nursing programs in Nashville by yourself on the internet and make some phone calls, perhaps you're not ready to move down here on your own which requires a great deal of self sufficiency. Perhaps finish your schooling in MI and THEN think about moving?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM

68 posts, read 91,870 times
There are currently a TON of apartments going up all over downtown, the Gulch, Germantown, West End/Vandy, etc, so you may have a completely new set of options next year than you do this year.

A lot of these will probably be out of your price range for what you're looking for in a one-bedroom, but the two-bedrooms could be an option if you find a roommate, and there could be some backfill from folks moving out of other units and into the new places.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
By the way, since you're young and maybe moving for first time, just a warning. Be very careful of finding something on Craigslist. If you do find something on Craigslist, DO NOT SEND ANYONE MONEY until you have seen the place and met whoever is offering the rental, no matter what they tell you ("I've got someone else interested in the apartment, I would need a $500 deposit to hold it for you. You can send it by Western Union.").

Second on this, I've seen this many times. I like to see a place first, inside and out, make sure it's legitimate. At this point, the only thing they'll get out of me is 20-30 for a credit check at the most.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,893 times
Apartment rents in Nashville seem to be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: