Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,781 times

Advertisements

Hello Nashvillians,

I'm coming from the UK to Nashville and am about to rent a place on: Oneida Avenue, Nashville, TN 37207, United States. This could be for up to 2 months so don't want to end up getting stuck somewhere which is not pleasant.

Obviously I've done a crime search and google street viewed the surrounding area but I'm not sure if that gives a true representation of the area. Anyone live nearby or visited? Is it a safe neighbourhood? Can you walk around after dark? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty clueless!

Thanks for your time,

Rowan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Safety is relative, but it's definitely an area where I would be on guard. The area in general is gentrifying, but that side of Ellington Pkwy (Cleveland and McFerrin Park neighborhoods) are relatively early in that process, and that usually varies a lot from street to street...I honestly don't know about Oneida.

If you're only there 2 months, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for walking at night...personally, I wouldn't. At least not alone.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,170 times
That neighborhood is actually called Joywood (I believe - it's north of Cleveland and McFerrin Park). I am not real familiar with the area but would guess it is still a little transitional based on the location. East Nashville is rapidly gentrifying (Again I mean people investing money and time into the community not politically) but that area is probably still a little early in the process. Not saying it's a bad area, just not sure. I would join the East Nashville Google Groups and ask the question on that forum. You should be able to get a more detailed, informed reply.

Last edited by yank283; 11-04-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 AM

Thanks Nashvols and Yank283 for your replies!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Here is the link for the East Nashville Google Group . . . .

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/east-nashville

Have a good time in Nashville! What brings you here???

Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks CountryGirl2b=. I've posted a message and waiting for authorisation.

Music is what brings me here! I'm spending as long as I can afford here. It's a place I've been dreaming of visiting for a long time!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

VERY cool! I watch a show on HGTV called House Hunters International. Some people are buying property overseas and some are simply renting. I often think in my older years (which are fast approaching) that I will spend at least one, if not two months a year, overseas. Renting an apartment instead of staying in hotels. Someone on the show is renting a (too basic for my taste) apartment in Cambodia for about $150 a month.

This is an older couple who do that very thing. They are in essence, homeless!

Home Free Adventures

I take it you won't have a car? Tough place to get around using just public transport although there are bikes you can use . . . and return. I'll find the link.

Are you going to try and get a song heard? Or just soak it all in????

How fun! Good for you!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM

I'm 22 and working a rubbishy job in London. Though I'd pack it in and try my hand at nashville. I've seen a few great bands in London from nashville, so going to try and catch them again as we'll as check out some new ones. Yeah, no car. Hiring a bike might be a good option though. Will the weather end of November beginning of December be conducive to cycling particularly?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan91 View Post
I'm 22 and working a rubbishy job in London. Though I'd pack it in and try my hand at nashville. I've seen a few great bands in London from nashville, so going to try and catch them again as we'll as check out some new ones. Yeah, no car. Hiring a bike might be a good option though. Will the weather end of November beginning of December be conducive to cycling particularly?
Public transit from the area you are looking at is doable, but it probably won't be fun, since you'll have to time everything around bus schedules. Luckily, there is a bus that runs right by that street (30 McFerrin):
http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route30.pdf

Here's the system map:
http://www.nashvillemta.org/news/pub160.pdf

You can get around inner city Nashville decently well on a bus (or bike)...it's getting to the farther reaches of the city and suburbs that is very difficult.

As for riding a bike in November/December, that depends on what you are willing to deal with. Some days will be mild (like today -- sunny and 70F/21C). But it can definitely get cold and wet. Average highs in November are 60.3F/15.7C, average lows are 39.4F/4.1C, and average highs in December are 49.5F/9.7C and average lows are 31.3F/-0.4C. These are two of the rainiest months of the year, and it's not uncommon to have a good cold snap and a lot of frost in the morning. Snow is rare (when it does happen, it's more common in late December/January/February), but temps can get down into the 20s and 10s on occasion. This time of year, sunset is before 5pm, so it gets cold more quickly in the evening.

All in all, if you can handle it, fine. But it's the worst time of year for cycling.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM

I think the weather that time of year would be similar, if a little warmer and less damp, than London. Have to be very careful cycling . . . there ARE some bike lanes but you'll be riding on the opposite (or "wrong" ) side of the street.

I was thinking of the bikes that are downtown. You can use one to ride around and drop them at different locations. It's called B-cycle and it's a sharing type of thing:

Nashville B-cycle | Nashville Bike-Sharing Program

Also, I'm not sure what sort of accommodation you are looking at renting on Oneida but have you considered a hostel? We have two - both have fairly decent reviews on Tripadvisor and are in much better locations. It might be better to spend a month here in a great location for the clubs and downtown, than 2 months struggling to get to where you need to go? Quality not quantity? Also, people your own age, etc. They might cut you a deal for a monthly rate. Also, I used to work in youth hostels in the states, Australia, and Switzerland. And we'd sometimes have a work for bed type thing where you do some cleaning and get your bed for free that night? You can always ask.

Nashville Downtown Hostel

Music City Hostel - info@MusicCityHostel.com - 1809 Patterson Street, Nashville, TN 37203

Also, if you need a cell phone while you are here, you can pick up an AT&T "Go" phone at Target or Best Buy or WalMart for $15. A $25 refill card will last for 90 days and calls are charged at 10 cents a minute (in case you have to call a club or cab or something). You can add an international plan for $5 for 250 minutes to the UK.

Direct Message me if you need more info.

PS. Looks like a very convenient bus route from Oneida . . although times are limited and the last one is before midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: