Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 100,359 times

Advertisements

Glad I found this thread

I'll be moving to Nashville in June of 2014. Starting a 3 year surgical fellowship at Vanderbilt in July.
I'm married.. with a baby on the way.

I need to live w/i 15 minutes driving distance to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
My ideal place to live is an apartment community complex, preferably close to brand new as I prefer a relatively new and high end interior. I don't intend to pay more than 2gs monthly. Three bedroom is ideal (3rd for visitors), but it seems with the nice places I've been researching, I'll have to settle for a 2 bedroom.

Below are places that I've seen online... and liked. And I'd like some advice on these places.. some of which are still under construction, but should be ready by my move-in date.
Specifically, about the locations:
Nice to live in?
Proximity of dining/shopping/grocery/entertainment?
Crime?

I read about Green Hills, love the proximity of everything, but only found one place and don't know much about it (Apartment in Green Hills TN, Nashville Apartments) Apparently, building new 3bdroom places.

Here you go:

23Hundred @ Berry Hill Berry Hill
Bell Historic Franklin Franklin
Village Green Hills
865 Bellevue
Lenox Village Town Center
Velocity in Gulch
Note 16 Horton Avenue
West End Village 31st Avenue North
Bell Midtown 1700 State Street
11 North Gulch
Elliston 23
Encore
Icon in the Gulch

Any comments on these locations?
How is Berry Hill? The new building looks like it will nice... but I've read crime is high there?! No idea..

Thanks in advance guys..
Hope to hear some good comments.

-Vandy14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
11 North Gulch

I lived there and quite a few residents live there. It's fine. Close to nightlight, downtown and Vandy. I was in the 200 building and I think it's a lot better than the 300 building (co-workers there have had a number of issues).

Icon in the Gulch - A coworker lives here and it's fine for him. I've heard there is a lot of partying going on and you are right above a number of bars so the weekends may be loud.

Velocity in Gulch - See comments on Icon.

3bd high end for $2K within 15 minutes - doubtful!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Many of those aren't new. Village Green Hills is nice, with a mix of tenant ages, but built in the 1960s. Updated, yes, but not new.

Bell Historic Franklin is nice and brand new but not 15 minutes.

I would check 865 Bellevue, especially with a baby on the way.

Location is key, but think about all these in terms of baby. Parking, access to pediatrician, getting a stroller and car seat in and out, loud neighbors or quiet neighbors who will be offended by a crying baby etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
With all due respects, Wmsn4Life, I'm going to disagree about 865 Bellevue. It's been many, many years since I lived there, and the apartments have been renovated since, but 865 still has a poor reputation from what I hear. It wasn't a terrible place to live, but the apartments are old and have lots of problems.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
With all due respects, Wmsn4Life, I'm going to disagree about 865 Bellevue. It's been many, many years since I lived there, and the apartments have been renovated since, but 865 still has a poor reputation from what I hear. It wasn't a terrible place to live, but the apartments are old and have lots of problems.
No prob. It's been a few years since our friends lived there too.

I think that general area will give them more choices, but I think the OP needs to prioritize his/her wants. As N.Cal pointed out, many of the choices are located in the heart of busy commercial/tourist districts. The apartments I would choose as a childless couple would be totally different from those I would choose as a new parent.

Somehow I read right over the Lenox Village option. I would seriously consider that one as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM

The 865 apartments do look a lot better after the renovation, but I hear they are not much better inside.

It was way back in the 1980s when I lived there for a year.

Back when they had mansard roofs on the buildings you could hear chunks of ice falling onto the ceiling above in the winter. I guess water got in and then it froze and then dropped onto the ceiling.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
There are too many places in Bellevue that would be better than the 865 Bellevue apartments. Another to avoid would be the Iroquois near Kroger at 70S & Old hickory. There may be a problem in finding an available unit anywhere but with the improving economy, things may finally be looking up.

Green Hills would give you a more urban setting closer to downtown & the shopping in/near Green Hill Mall. Bellevue is nice if you want a more quiet setting.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 PM

I live in Bellevue and like it, but given Vandy14's wants and needs and budget, I would suggest looking closer in rather than Bellevue.

A budget of $2K a month for a 2BR would allow a lot of options in Nashville.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I live in Bellevue and like it, but given Vandy14's wants and needs and budget, I would suggest looking closer in rather than Bellevue.

A budget of $2K a month for a 2BR would allow a lot of options in Nashville.
Thanks for the comments guys...
Just to clarify, my budget IS 2gs for a 2bedroom place. I was saying above that I wanted a 3, but realized I have to settle for a 2 since I want a modern high end interior.

ANy info on Beryy Hill? Nice place to Live? Safe? 23 hundred @ berry hill looks nice. First move-ins in October.
Any new places in Green Hills?

Do you guys really think there are no small young families living in the places I names above? I'm from NYC, so even if you're in a suburban/urban setting, people have kids and families!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
11 North Gulch

I lived there and quite a few residents live there. It's fine. Close to nightlight, downtown and Vandy. I was in the 200 building and I think it's a lot better than the 300 building (co-workers there have had a number of issues).

Icon in the Gulch - A coworker lives here and it's fine for him. I've heard there is a lot of partying going on and you are right above a number of bars so the weekends may be loud.

Velocity in Gulch - See comments on Icon.

3bd high end for $2K within 15 minutes - doubtful!
Definiteky like this place. Do you think it's all a bunch of singles looking for action... Or also some young couples/young families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville