Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times

Advertisements

Nashville mayor to Louisville: Be true to who you are.

Nashville mayor Karl Dean to Louisville: Be true to who you are - Louisville - Louisville Business First

Should Louisville take cues from Nashville, Indianapolis, or Cincinnati? Or should they find their own way?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Nashville mayor Karl Dean to Louisville: Be true to who you are - Louisville - Louisville Business First

Should Louisville take cues from Nashville, Indianapolis, or Cincinnati? Or should they find their own way?
I have little experience with anything Kentucky that isn't in Bowling Green. I wonder how natives and transplants of Louisville alike view those three cities in comparison to their own. Part of me views Louisville as more like Indy or Cincy, but I think of the South when I think of Kentucky, outside of the Cincinnati Metro.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:43 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Louisville IS and has been finding her own way. It is with food and bourbon tourism. Louisville has arguably the top restaurant scene in the SE after New Orleans. And with all the bourbon distilleries, this is a huge thing. It needs to position itself as a genteel yet vice southern city, think the whiskey "Vegas" of the mid east.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville IS and has been finding her own way. It is with food and bourbon tourism. Louisville has arguably the top restaurant scene in the SE after New Orleans. And with all the bourbon distilleries, this is a huge thing. It needs to position itself as a genteel yet vice southern city, think the whiskey "Vegas" of the mid east.
What does that do for the community, other than provide a lot of service level jobs and tax revenue for politicians to spend? You do know other states make bourbon and other cities in the south have good food scenes right coughNashvillecough.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Bspray, Kentucky is responsible for essentially 100% of bourbon production work wide and it does bring some visitors. The problem for Louisville is that Lexington is actually nearer to most of the tours along the Bourbon trail, and very few people make the trip solely for the bourbon trail. The bourbon industry provides a nice activity for people to do when they are driving through, but it's not going to be the draw that the music industry is for Nashville.

As for the food scene in Louisville, I'm not a believer. It is typical for a city its size but it doesn't serve as a big draw. I lived in Lexington up until fairly recently and I never heard a single person talk about the food scene in Louisville. There were more weekend trips to Nashville than to Louisville.

If I were Louidville I would put all of the city's effort into attracting an NBA team. UofL is a local draw only (and half the city's loyalties lie with UK), but an NBA team would draw from a good chunk of the state, and if called the "Kentucky something's" then the entire state would be behind them.

The horse industry could be another potential driver, but similarly to bourbon, most of the industry is centered around Lexington. Churchill downs is obviously a massive draw for the Oaks/Derby weekend but for the other weeks is a local draw for the most part.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:16 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
You do know other states make bourbon
Absolutely false.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Absolutely false.
Well, maybe they don't make GOOD bourbon...

There are rules and standards that define bourbon as distinct from other whiskeys, but "made in Kentucky" is not a legal requirement. But it can't be labeled as if it's from Kentucky if it's not.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Absolutely false.
Absolutely true!

Kentucky isn't the only state that makes bourbon.

95% of the world’s bourbon is made in Kentucky only if we don’t count all the bourbon that’s made in Tennessee. It is one of my favorite little statistics that Jack Daniel’s makes and sells more whiskey than the state of Kentucky combined. The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) reports 19.35 million 9-liter cases of bourbon and Tennessee whiskey were sold in the United States in 2014. The KDA reports “roughly half” of that as bourbon. Brown-Forman reports a total of 20 million cases of the Jack Daniel’s family of Tennessee Whiskeys is sold globally, with roughly half of that sold in the U.S.
Take away our quaint Tennessee Whiskey designation and we’re left with a whole bunch of bourbon down here. Chuck Cowdery adamantly stands behind this statement saying, “For all intents and purposes, Jack Daniel’s and George Dickel are bourbon in all but name.” He goes on to say, “Tennessee Whiskey is very much within the profile of Straight Bourbon Whiskey.” Tennessee’s 50% (not including Dickel and newer Tennessee Whiskeys) could do a bit of damage to that famed and beloved 95%.

The KDA is one of the oldest trade organizations in the country. On the contrary, the Tennessee Distillers Guild is in its infancy at just over a year old; they have neither the clout nor the funding to fight big bad Diageo on this issue. Now would be a great time for the KDA to step up as the older brother, shepherd Tennessee through these growing pains, and help secure a legal definition of Tennessee Whiskey at both the state and federal levels. If not because it’s the neighborly thing to do, do it for your statistic.

Proposed legislation eliminates House Bill 1084 that was passed on April 19, 2013, and was signed into law by Governor Bill Haslam on May 13, 2013. That bill defines the requirements to advertise, describe, label, name, sell, or refer to for marketing or sales purposes as Tennessee Whiskey as:

(1) Manufactured in Tennessee;
(2) Made of a grain mixture that is at least fifty-one percent (51%) corn;
(3) Distilled to no more than 160 proof or eighty percent (80%) alcohol by volume;
(4) Aged in new, charred oak barrels in Tennessee;
(5) Filtered through maple charcoal prior to aging;
(6) Placed in the barrel at no more than 125 proof or sixty-two and one- half percent (62.5 %) alcohol by volume; and
(7) Bottled at not less than 80 proof or forty percent (40%) alcohol by volume.
Currently, House Bill 0638 is scheduled on the State Government Subcommittee calendar for April 1.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Well, maybe they don't make GOOD bourbon...

There are rules and standards that define bourbon as distinct from other whiskeys, but "made in Kentucky" is not a legal requirement. But it can't be labeled as if it's from Kentucky if it's not.
I thought that the state of Kentucky somehow had a trade name called bourbon, but if you guys got more on this I would be interested. I have seen how the State of Tennessee has been trying to trademark Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey, somehow.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:28 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky, but "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" does. Tennessee whiskey is a bourbon in the sense that it is still distilled in the same manner, but prior to being aged in oak barrels it is filtered through charcoal in something known as the "Lincoln County Process." To me, that makes it a unique product from bourbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville