Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:43 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,953 times

Advertisements

I am sure everyone is aware that Nolensville road was ranked one of American's tastiest roads due to all the ethnic cuisine present in the area. Casa Azafran, an international community center, is located there as well. Why not do some streetscaping and really bring the area to life? Change the name to International blvd, have a big sign welcoming you to the International district, and viola! Tourists spending money to get an authentic taste of foreign culture. Nolensville road all the way to Old Hickory blvd can be a major tourist draw.

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 12-06-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
They could do that. It's an interesting idea.

Some people prefer "authenticity," though.

Kinda like Beale Street in Memphis.

Back at the beginning of the last century when it was full of black-owned clubs and stores where neighbors shopped, it was more of "the real deal." It did decline quickly in the 1970s. Once it was designated a tourist district, it lost a bit of its edge, although it certainly gained visitors and revenue.

Nashville seems to be focused on the Gulch and downtown now.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 PM

374 posts, read 693,467 times
I think that's a great idea. As a transplant I never know where to go when I want ethnic stuff. As far as "authenticity" goes, just because it's not historic doesn't mean it's inauthentic. It's just taking longer for ethnic groups to arrive in the south.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
I think that's a great idea. As a transplant I never know where to go when I want ethnic stuff. As far as "authenticity" goes, just because it's not historic doesn't mean it's inauthentic. It's just taking longer for ethnic groups to arrive in the south.
Well, I didn't really mean "authentic" in terms of historic. I was thinking that it IS already an international area, with plenty of first-generation immigrants operating businesses there. But once the planning department gets involved to make it an Official International District, it homogenizes the area just a little bit.

I still think it's a cool idea. Metro definitely needs to spread the redevelopment love around to other parts of town.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
The idea reminds me of International Blvd and the Fruitvale District in Oakland, Ca.

Nashville seems to have more resources than Oakland-- it is still a vary dangerous part of town, unfortunately-- the development of the district didn't do much to improve that.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
The idea reminds me of International Blvd and the Fruitvale District in Oakland, Ca.

Nashville seems to have more resources than Oakland-- it is still a vary dangerous part of town, unfortunately-- the development of the district didn't do much to improve that.
Yes, when I went to Tijuana I was shocked at how similar it was to the Fruitvale. I was also shocked at how for the most part, it was safer than the Fruitvale. But by Oakland standards the Fruitvale isn't really that bad at all. Its safer than pretty much all of West Oakland and Deep East Oakland. Nolensville road is tremendously safer than International blvd no question. I think if we made an international district it would attract many more tourists than Oakland's fruitvale.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
That's actually a pretty legit idea. Only issue though is I'm sure a lot of locals are apprehensive to going into that area, and tourists either wouldn't venture there....or, also be apprehensive after asking where to go. If a full-on effort was made to spruce it up a little and fix the perception it may work and that would be great, but the way this city is growing, I could see that easily turning into a new area to move to because rent would be cheap, therefore over time dissolving the international aspect of it because of rising costs. Just a theory. As for the idea itself, I like it.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
That's actually a pretty legit idea. Only issue though is I'm sure a lot of locals are apprehensive to going into that area, and tourists either wouldn't venture there....or, also be apprehensive after asking where to go. If a full-on effort was made to spruce it up a little and fix the perception it may work and that would be great, but the way this city is growing, I could see that easily turning into a new area to move to because rent would be cheap, therefore over time dissolving the international aspect of it because of rising costs. Just a theory. As for the idea itself, I like it.
Well you would need to redevelop houses, which im not sure is possible when your houses are all brick. The majority of South Nashville neighborhoods are brick, very little room for revitalization.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Tourists spending money to get an authentic taste of foreign culture.
In my opinion, I don't think tourists coming here would really be interested in getting a taste of foreign culture. Just from personal experience and all the people who have come to visit that I know of (or are planning to), there are two groups - the Midwesterners, who are coming for country music and the East and West Coasters who have real foreign culture out the front door. Also, my family in a small town in Kansas have better authentic Mexican food there than we do here since they have many Mexican families who have moved to the town to work.

Now, as a transplant here, more ethic shops and restaurants would be fantastic! How many people on this forum have actually been to any of the restaurants or shops on N. Road? We are eating our way down the road since I'm still looking for good Mexican food.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM

222 posts, read 639,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
In my opinion, I don't think tourists coming here would really be interested in getting a taste of foreign culture. Just from personal experience and all the people who have come to visit that I know of (or are planning to), there are two groups - the Midwesterners, who are coming for country music and the East and West Coasters who have real foreign culture out the front door. Also, my family in a small town in Kansas have better authentic Mexican food there than we do here since they have many Mexican families who have moved to the town to work.

Now, as a transplant here, more ethic shops and restaurants would be fantastic! How many people on this forum have actually been to any of the restaurants or shops on N. Road? We are eating our way down the road since I'm still looking for good Mexican food.
I don't know about authentic Mexican food, but I do know what we like among the ones we've visited on Nolensville Road: La Terraza, La Hacienda, and Los Arcos.

I think it's an interesting idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville