Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 PM

22 posts, read 234,286 times

Advertisements

Is there a law or piece of legal information that defines how far a fence should be to not be considered on the property line? For example, what if the fence is one millimeter from the property line (silly I know) but what about 6 inches, 12 inches, 24 inches etc. Is this defined anywhere or in property disputes does a judge just decide on a case by case basis depending on his mood and the weather, one time 1 inch and one time 24 inches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
What city do you live in? Do you live in a neighborhood that has an HOA?

Call the city codes department. They will advise you. You need a building permit for a fence where I live, and if you live in a flood plain you probably won't be able to build one.

There are LOTS of questions to ask when building a fence. Or are you saying you already have one that may be illegally built?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Nashville, Davidson County, no HOA. I am not wanting to build a fence but wanting to find out who has to maintain a fence line that is near or on the property line. My original question is what is Tennessee's definition of "on the property line"? For example if the law says 6 inches away or greater is not on the property line but the fence is 3 inches away then legally I would have to maintain it.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM

The state doesn't have a definition. Each individual municipality decides.

So you need to check with Metro codes.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks, I'll check with them. So it is a clearly defined number and not something that a someone makes up depending on their mood that day? Maybe someone will already know the answer before Monday rolls around.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Well, SOME people guess, and build 6 inches inside where they THINK the property line is, only to find out later that where their neighbor cuts the grass is NOT the actual property line.

Of course you need to confirm with Metro, but there is no fence setback. Call a couple of fence contractors and let them tell you how they usually do it.

You also can do a keyword search on the main Nashville page here and read the recent threads about fences.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 AM

Unacceptable TN law clearly defines that a person can build a fence on the property line. No consent of the other owner has to be received. Once the fence is up our amazing state says that BOTH property owners are responsible for the fence. This applies not only to maintaining the fence line but also repairs! How it is possible that you can build a fence and make someone else maintain it is beyond my comprehension.

All I was looking for was information from anyone experienced in such things as to what Nashville considers "on the property line". Monday I'll contact the city but I bet getting an answer to that isn't as simple as a phone call.

Searching for fence on here didn't return any posts that helped.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM

256 posts, read 481,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda911 View Post
Unacceptable TN law clearly defines that a person can build a fence on the property line. No consent of the other owner has to be received. Once the fence is up our amazing state says that BOTH property owners are responsible for the fence. This applies not only to maintaining the fence line but also repairs! How it is possible that you can build a fence and make someone else maintain it is beyond my comprehension.

All I was looking for was information from anyone experienced in such things as to what Nashville considers "on the property line". Monday I'll contact the city but I bet getting an answer to that isn't as simple as a phone call.

Searching for fence on here didn't return any posts that helped.
Let me google that for you

Seems like this board has quite the wealth of information about fences:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...nashville.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...tick-them.html

Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Lol, neither of those posts are helpful what-so-ever to my original question. I did look at both of them before posting.

Contacted the city today and they said that there is no definition of what constitutes on the property line. Each situation is handled on a case by case basis and I guess the distance is determined by the mood of the city inspector. I specifically asked could one inspector say that 3 inches means the fence is on the property line where another inspector might say that it is not on the property line and the answer is yes. Way to go Tennessee?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Default It doesn't work according to anyone's mood ...

I don't remember Yoda having this much of an attitude.

Well anyway, I'll add 2 more cents and then stop checking this thread because it sounds like you have an axe to grind and won't be satisfied with ANY answer. But here it is.

There IS such a thing as a property line that is easily determined with a survey. The same survey can easily determine if a fence is on a property line.

But there is no law that determines a standard of how far from a property line a fence should be built.

You never actually revealed what your main concern is, though it sounds like you are worried that your neighbor wants to build a fence and you may have to mow behind it or take care of it or something.

If that's the case, your best bet is to be on speaking terms with your neighbor and not snarky like you've been here. Because in that case you will be able to discuss maintenance with them and make sure they know you don't want to be responsible for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: