Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 AM

328 posts, read 568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Oh, and Jim Cantore called the river downtown "the Tennessee River". C'mon, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Some trees down in Fieldstone Farms. We did NOT lose power but we lost cable & internet and the WSMV live stream was breaking up and I could NOT find anything on the radio. So I did use the Twitter @NashSevereWX that someone posted and it was VERY helpufl.

Ordered a weather radio last night. I usually depend on the TV for their pinpoint accuracy but we lost power the last storm and internet/cable THIS storm.

Bummer.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,259 times
A while ago (last year or two), I purchased power failure flashlights that remain on a charger/stand that is plugged into an outlet all the time. We have them in each bedroom and one in common space on each floor. All of the flashlights except one are set to turn on in the event of a power failure. The one in the hall by the bedrooms is set to turn on at dark - it illuminates the hall at night. We can remove the flashlight from the charger and walk around with it in the event of a power failure - however, the lights provided a good deal of light for moving around the house without bumping into things. I was happy to have the power failure flashlights last night!

In the fall, I bought a set of four battery operated candles at Costco. Last night, I turned one on and set it on the back of the toilet - it is enough light for us to use the bathroom when the power is out.

Today at Costco I found power failure night lights that plug into an outlet without completely covering the outlet. In a bathroom, they can be plugged in for use in the event of a power failure and the rest of the time, users may still plug in a razor or hair dryer.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:57 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,803 times
The news channel apps work good too. I have satellite and I lost signal just as things were cranking up. I went on the I Pad and watched the news live stream.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Glad everyone is safe! Good riddance to that line of storms!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
My children are grown now but I had dog tags on my kids when they were little in case we were separated. I had the dog tag made and cut the rope chain to fit them; you can put it around their neck or wrist. Strap a fanny pack on everyone with whatever you feel is appropriate. (protein bar, medication, cash, ID, list of phone numbers, mini water bottle, etc). I have little mini flashlights that are amazing that stand up to be mini lamps too. Cheap and work great! I use them all the time and for emergencies, in the car, around the house, in my purse.

Consider purchasing hard hats for your family if you weather the storm in your house.

alleycat, that is MAJOR cool that you drew the structural plans for the batman building!

The best part about Jim Cantore in town is when he leaves town; no offense to him personally.

Glad this one is a memory.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Are storms in Nashville as vicious as these plans make it sound? I've never heard of so many people taking such measures before.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Are storms in Nashville as vicious as these plans make it sound? I've never heard of so many people taking such measures before.
IN Nashville, they are rare, but people do die. A tornado can hit one house and leave the one next door intact.

I honestly think it's more of a mob mentality thing. Because of technology, meteorologists know they're coming a few days in advance, and so we get on alert.

On storm day, it's almost all people can talk about. Because of the hype, events are canceled, people go home and wait for it. It's a community event. When it finally hits, who KNOWS how bad they will be??

The people I know with actual storm shelters are transplants.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
This is off topic, but important. People and businesses have definitely died and suffered injuries and very serious losses in such storms. Check out past news stories on tornadoes in and around Nashville. Opryland Hotel had to close because of the effects of one a few years back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville