Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 02:50 AM

21 posts, read 25,234 times

Advertisements

We are most likely moving to the Nashville area in June 2015. Initially, we will need to rent but I'm a bit nervous about this as we have two cats and a large dog. Even if we find someone willing to rent to us, I'm afraid it will be difficult to find a house with a fenced yard. Has anyone else had to find this type of housing ? If so, how difficult was it ?

We can't use our current landlord as a reference because we are in the process of taking legal action against him. We have been in a lease with option to purchase (rent to own) for the last 18 months and found out two weeks ago that he has not been making his payment for more than six months nor making the tax payments for two years ! (But all that is for another thread ! Anyway, we are fairly open to where we will live and would consider as far south as Murfreesboro and as far north as possibly Clarksville / Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 AM

65 posts, read 197,611 times
It can be done but it will be tough. We were recently in the same boat where we needed to find a place to rent while our house was being built so we needed a month to month lease and we have two dogs and two cats. Most places have a two animal limit, but you also have a "dangerous breed", as considered by many insurance companies and people. We were able to find a vet assistant that has rental houses. The house that we rented in south nashville is currently occupied, but it could be available by the time you are ready to move. I can PM you her info if you like. Other than that you will need to be checking craigslist and other ads months in advance to find a place.

On a side note, weren't you going to lose your rent to own option if you are moving anyway. Most of those rent to own contracts are stacked against the renter, so any law suit will be an up hill battle....

Last edited by think365; 12-17-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM

21 posts, read 25,234 times
Thank you think365 - yes, if you could send me the vet assistant's contact info, that would be great !

It was so late last night when I wrote my post, that I didn't clearly explain my concerns - but you hit the nail on the head. I'm concerned about having 1) cats and a dog; 2) having a dog that is way over 30lbs; 3) having a dog that is sometimes considered a "dangerous breed" (some places I've looked at have German Shepherds in that category, some don't. Ours is actually a Dutch Shepherd which many haven't heard of - so we just say German Shepherd lol)

But as for the lease with option to purchase ... long story, but we have found out this individual has done this to others before - i.e. pocketed the option paid + the rent + the portion of the rent that is supposed to be going towards the down payment - without passing the amount he is supposed onto his investors. We are out to the tune of $12,700 so far. Then the investors foreclose on him, the tenants lose their place to live, and the guy we've dealt with has been pocketing a lot of money for several months. It's truly sickening and we are devastated. We are fighting it but have little hope of ever getting any of our money back. We honestly thought we were smarter than to get taken by a con man. One of many reasons we are thinking of heading back east. I'm originally from Florida but have family in Nashville and have many, many awesome memories from the area (and Bowling Green, KY).

Old 12-21-2014, 06:29 PM

34 posts, read 75,085 times
We live in Lincoya Bay townhomes, and there's no breed or size restriction here. No fenced in yard but we have a small dog park.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 PM

65 posts, read 197,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
We live in Lincoya Bay townhomes, and there's no breed or size restriction here. No fenced in yard but we have a small dog park.
Lincoya Bay has three restrictions that she would not pass....

Pet Policies
Cats Allowed
Small Dogs Allowed
Additional Information:

$300 fee. $25 monthly rent. 50 pound maximum. Two maximum. Breed restrictions apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville