Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 11,848 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Spring Hill would be a good fit for us. I commute to Green Hills to drop my daughter off at private school. I can drop her off at 7:00 am. Then I head up to Joelton to work--right now total commute is 45 minutes from Bellevue right near 40. Not too bad because I don't hit any traffic.

I feel somewhat limited by my price range (not sure for a couple of weeks but probably around $150,000-$160,000). I am looking for a nice house--at least two bedrooms (with a separate office space) or three bedrooms-- and two bathrooms. I rent a condo now in Bellevue and like the area, but I guess it is a little sleepy for me. Where we live there are very few children and not really a lot of businesses.

So, I was wondering about traffic and the Spring Hill area in general.

Other than that I am considering staying out West: Burns, Fairview, Dickson, White Bluff . . . . Or Northern Davidson County--or South of Clarksville. Or Mount Juliet, Smyrna, or even Lebanon. Or Goodlettsville or Gallatin.

Probably my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices are (in no particular order) are: Gallatin, Goodlettsville, and Spring Hill. It just seems like there would be more established neighborhoods, a price I could afford, and maybe not so sleepy. I also would consider Davidson County areas such as Hermitage, Donelson, Old Hickory, and yes even the dreaded Antioch. The area by the zoo seems to have some decent neighborhoods.

Murfreesboro is where I would like to live the most because it is diverse and maybe a little more progressive, but I think traffic would prohibit it. Any info. on the commute from Murfreesboro to Green Hills would be appreciated.

I read that people can message with referrals for agents (but the agents cannot message). Finally ready to buy and looking for someone who knows the area and I suppose isn't afraid to travel to look at so many areas.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM

114 posts, read 140,813 times
I know I've been recommending this area a lot lately, but again, I'd look into Woodbine, Glencliff, Radnor (by the zoo) or the communities south of Thompson Ln in the Nolensville Rd corridor. (Think between Thompson Lane and Old Hickory Blvd.) From these areas, you could take Thompson Lane into Green Hills, or easily get on 440 on Nolensville Road. In the price range, I really feel that will be the best bang for the buck and most convenient. HTH!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
If you go to RealTracs.com you can enter your price point and each city or town and see how far your budget will go. When you narrow it down a bit you might find an agent willing to work with you. At the moment your search area is not only time consuming in terms of the drive but literally you're "all over the map". Using RealTracs will help YOU fine tune your must haves and can't haves. Use Google maps to get a rough idea of any commute times.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
I can't imagine working in Joelton and living in Spring Hill. You'd be spending way too much time on the road.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM

114 posts, read 140,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I can't imagine working in Joelton and living in Spring Hill. You'd be spending way too much time on the road.
Ditto this-it would be a nightmare. I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting to Green Hills in the traffic pattern of least resistance. The most affordable and convenient housing is going to be in the areas I mentioned. At the moment, I'm actually driving my daughter to Pre-K in Brentwood going down Thompson Ln to 65, which works because I'm going against the flow.

If you ended up by the airport (Donelson and the surrounding areas) you would potentially have several ways back from Joelton, which would be good in case of traffic jams.

I also think Murfreesboro could be a rough drive, though you could probably easily find a home there that meets your criteria. I taught as an adjunct at MTSU and had to do the drive from South Nashville at a non-peak hour and it was not fun. (I feel like people go either 40 or 90 on that stretch of I-24!)

As silly as it sounds, I always tell people to test drive it one day. (if this is feasible for you) That is going to give you the best idea.

At the end of the day I know you don't love Bellevue, but it is really one of the better locations for where you need to go. Have you considered looking at different developments?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese Kitty View Post

At the end of the day I know you don't love Bellevue, but it is really one of the better locations for where you need to go. Have you considered looking at different developments?
I agree about Bellevue. OP, most all of the areas you mentioned looking into are even sleepier than Bellevue.

Maybe you just live in the wrong part of Bellevue.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Thank you. If I could get a single family home in Bellevue or even a large condo, I would. But, Bellevue is expensive. I could only afford a small condo like the one I rent. The upstairs is nice but the downstairs is small and cave-like (to me).

Overall though, for a single family home or larger condo--I am looking at a drive. Unless I find something in an area of Nashville such as the ones you mentioned.

I agree it is difficult to find an agent who doesn't mind driving everywhere.

Maybe agents will book for me to go see their listings while I get a feel for the areas I mentioned. I haven't investigated yet except online. The site I go to I can look at a map and pick houses in each area. It's kind of addicting. I favorited a few hundred properties and the areas I mentioned are selling the most quickly.

Maury County might mean an eventual job change for me, but I'm not sure I really mind that.

I already am familiar with the commute to Joelton. It is not a bad commute from Green Hills.

So the question is finding a nice home withing a comfortable 35-45 minutes of Green Hills. 45 minutes is the top.

I want a community feel. Kids around. I really do like Bellevue, but it is out of my price range.

Any info. on Spring Hill and Northern Maury County vs. Rutherford County for commuting to Green Hills? The homes look nice, but I haven't visited and don't know the area except that it is pretty and green in the Spring.

I haven't cancelled out looking in Nashville. I also still like Goodlettsville and Gallatin. The homes are nice and are selling quickly.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Wouldn't it make sense to spend a little more on a home in a district with strong public schools so you don't have to pay private school tuition? That would free up more money for housing.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM

I was all for public schools, but my daughter had a friend who went to private middle school. I didn't think she would be admitted, but she was. Price for school is not a huge issue for personal reasons, but my housing price point is about $150,00 - $160,000. Not a lot in today's market. Lucky to be able to buy at all I suppose.

I do believe in public schools, but find that lots of parents here choose other options for middle school.

Still haven't ruled out Davidson County. Just wondering. Thank you for the input so far.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCC View Post
I was all for public schools, but my daughter had a friend who went to private middle school. I didn't think she would be admitted, but she was. Price for school is not a huge issue for personal reasons, but my housing price point is about $150,00 - $160,000. Not a lot in today's market. Lucky to be able to buy at all I suppose.

I do believe in public schools, but find that lots of parents here choose other options for middle school.

Still haven't ruled out Davidson County. Just wondering. Thank you for the input so far.

I'd live in Goodlettsville before I'd move to Spring Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville