Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 PM

27 posts, read 59,688 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a native Nashvillian who is moving back to Music City after 12 years away. Unlike when I moved, I am now a wife and mom of two young kids (ages four and one). I've grown a lot, but Nashville has grown more...and I need help with my re-entry! My first two questions are about where we should live and where we should send our son to preschool.

1. Where to Live - We'll be renting until we get acclimated, then we hope to buy. At this point, my husband and I will both be working out of a home office or at a coffee shop, so there are no professional factors that would limit geography.

The main factors that will drive where we live are cost and convenience to preschools. Since my income will be somewhat unpredictable, we want to toe the line between something that is both less expensive but in a family-friendly area. We'll need a 3 br/2 ba rental, and our max price is $1600 per month. At this point, I'm thinking Bellevue or East Nashville. What are your thoughts on Bellevue and East Nashville for a family looking to rent? And are there other areas that I should consider? I'm shying away from Hendersonville for now, because we want to establish our family and our space, and most of my family lives in Hendersonville. I'm leaving Franklin off the table, because we'll need to be somewhat close to Hendersonville for childcare purposes. And I'm leaving Brentwood off, because it seems that it will be unlikely to rent there given our price point and needs. Am I wrong about that?

2. Preschools - We'll be coming to Nashville in a couple of weeks to explore housing options and tour preschools. I've read good things on this forum about East Brentwood Presbyterian Preschool, but I was hoping to get some recommendations in Bellevue or other areas that might work for us (Brentwood if that's a possibility). My son will be in a 4-year-old class, and other than a Parent's Morning Out program (one day per week), he hasn't before been in preschool.

This return to my hometown is really exciting, but it's also pretty scary. Things have changed so much in Nashville, and now the stakes for me are much higher. Thanks in advance for helping me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Apartment rentals in Brentwood are pretty much limited to the new "Tapestry" complex which is opening soon and will be out of your price range.

Bellevue is NOT close to Hendersonville in my book, but this is an apartment complex that might be in your price range for a 3 bedroom. I had friends who lived there for a few years:

Apartments in Nashville, TN | Colonial Grand at Bellevue

Tough to shy away from living too close to family and then depending on them for childcare? Not sure you'd find much in Franklin in your price range. Bellevue remains somewhat affordable.

East Nashville is very popular now, as I'm sure your relatives have told you, and finding a 3 bedroom rental for $1600 I think would be tough.

Sorry I can't help with pre-school but there sure does seem to be a LOT of them around!

Best of luck!

Old 05-30-2015, 01:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
You could live in East Nashville or Inglewood, and still be close enough to Hendersonville. Developers are starting to move into South Madison, and there are many lovely homes on the West side.

Things have changed tremendously in the last 12 years. You're in for a pleasant surprise. :-)

If you want to be close to Brentwood, you could look in the Melrose/12 South area.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:48 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
I would honestly look to rent in the Bellevue area if I were in your position. You will also probably find yourself looking for a home there too once you are living there. It is a great area that, for some reason, hasn't seen the same crazy home price\rent explosion the rest of the city is experiencing.

Unless you are a hipster or in love with a bohemian lifestyle, I would avoid East Nashville.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

Unless you are a hipster or in love with a bohemian lifestyle, I would avoid East Nashville.
That is a pretty uninformed statement. EN is a pretty large place and way more than just Five Points.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
That is a pretty uninformed statement. EN is a pretty large place and way more than just Five Points.
Fair enough. If you are not a hipster, in love with the bohemian lifestyle or planning to live in government subsidized projects, I would avoid East Nashville.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Fair enough. If you are not a hipster, in love with the bohemian lifestyle or planning to live in government subsidized projects, I would avoid East Nashville.
You think hipsters/bohemians are the ones paying $300-500k for some of the houses over there? I think you greatly overestimate their financial status.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You think hipsters/bohemians are the ones paying $300-500k for some of the houses over there? I think you greatly overestimate their financial status.
No kidding. I would gladly live in East Nashville if I could afford it, and I am most definitely not a hipster/bohemian, nor do I live in government subsidized projects.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 AM

27 posts, read 59,688 times
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. I didn't mean to spark a debate over the merits of East Nashville. : )

CountryGirl, thanks for the recommendation for Colonial Grand in Bellevue. I will check that out. Does anyone know anything about Hillmeade apartments? They look pretty nice online and have a roomy 3BR option, but online impressions aren't always the most accurate. I'd love insight on that complex or any others in the Bellevue area people know about.

Artemis, your suggestions of Inglewood and Madison are intriguing to me. Those wouldn't have been areas that I would have even considered before I moved 12 years ago, but it seems like things have changed. Are there specific areas that you could recommend I look in those communities?

We have a few preschool tours set up, and it seems like most of them are along the 65 corridor from 100 Oaks to the Brentwood/Franklin area. If we go that route, any ideas for places to live where we can rent a 3BR/2BA for $1600 per month or less? I'm checking Zillow and RealTracs, but I'd love any specific recommendations as to neighborhoods or apartment complexes that would make the commute to preschool convenient.

We're coming to Nashville in two weekends, so any guidance that can help us plan our trip and be more likely to narrow in on an area to live would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgal34 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. I didn't mean to spark a debate over the merits of East Nashville. : )

CountryGirl, thanks for the recommendation for Colonial Grand in Bellevue. I will check that out. Does anyone know anything about Hillmeade apartments? They look pretty nice online and have a roomy 3BR option, but online impressions aren't always the most accurate. I'd love insight on that complex or any others in the Bellevue area people know about.

Artemis, your suggestions of Inglewood and Madison are intriguing to me. Those wouldn't have been areas that I would have even considered before I moved 12 years ago, but it seems like things have changed. Are there specific areas that you could recommend I look in those communities?

We have a few preschool tours set up, and it seems like most of them are along the 65 corridor from 100 Oaks to the Brentwood/Franklin area. If we go that route, any ideas for places to live where we can rent a 3BR/2BA for $1600 per month or less? I'm checking Zillow and RealTracs, but I'd love any specific recommendations as to neighborhoods or apartment complexes that would make the commute to preschool convenient.

We're coming to Nashville in two weekends, so any guidance that can help us plan our trip and be more likely to narrow in on an area to live would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm 30 and grew up here and am only now beginning to wrap my head around the idea that East Nashville is even desirable in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville