Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,267 times

Advertisements

You're money would be better spent on a decent camera system. We have infrared perimeter alarms near the property lines also. If you come on the property, the alarm sounds inside the house and tells you which zone was activated. The perimeter alarms have gone off twice. By the time I got downstairs with the shot gun, I found them going at my truck door with a slim jim. If I had not scared them off, the cameras would have ID'ed them for the police as they start recording when they sense motion.

The problem with a monitored system is that it doesn't help you during the break-in. Thieves kick down your door, and if you're lucky, just take some stuff and leave. While all this is going on, the alarm company calls the cops. Cops show up about 15 minutes later if your lucky and take a report. That's a best case scenario. There have been many cases where the cops show up to find everyone in the house dead.

TN law assumes that anyone forcibly entering your house is a threat to your life and gives you the right to use deadly force. A shot gun should be your first line of home defense backed up by a camera system. You can piece a decent camera system together for less than $500. We have 4 cameras connected to a PC. I bought the DVR card for the computer on eBay for $20. It is set to record when one of the cameras senses motion. Good high resolution weatherproof B&W cameras run around $70 each. There are DVR boards that allow you to view the cameras over any internet connection. My $20 eBay board is supposed to, but I haven't figured out that end of it yet.

Before everyone get their panties in a bunch...I'm not picking on any one area. Crime happens everywhere. You can either be prepared for it or be a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
You're money would be better spent on a decent camera system. We have infrared perimeter alarms near the property lines also. If you come on the property, the alarm sounds inside the house and tells you which zone was activated. The perimeter alarms have gone off twice. By the time I got downstairs with the shot gun, I found them going at my truck door with a slim jim. If I had not scared them off, the cameras would have ID'ed them for the police as they start recording when they sense motion.

The problem with a monitored system is that it doesn't help you during the break-in. Thieves kick down your door, and if you're lucky, just take some stuff and leave. While all this is going on, the alarm company calls the cops. Cops show up about 15 minutes later if your lucky and take a report. That's a best case scenario. There have been many cases where the cops show up to find everyone in the house dead.

TN law assumes that anyone forcibly entering your house is a threat to your life and gives you the right to use deadly force. A shot gun should be your first line of home defense backed up by a camera system. You can piece a decent camera system together for less than $500. We have 4 cameras connected to a PC. I bought the DVR card for the computer on eBay for $20. It is set to record when one of the cameras senses motion. Good high resolution weatherproof B&W cameras run around $70 each. There are DVR boards that allow you to view the cameras over any internet connection. My $20 eBay board is supposed to, but I haven't figured out that end of it yet.

Before everyone get their panties in a bunch...I'm not picking on any one area. Crime happens everywhere. You can either be prepared for it or be a victim.

This is very sound advice, cameras to identify the person or people is absolutely key in being able to prosecute & the police may be able to trace down your stuff if they take anything.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,048 times
rossc, how do the infrared perimeter alarms distinguish between people and deer or other wildlife?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,644 times
rossc: You mind posting the equipment models you're using? I am interested in getting perimeter alarms and a DVR camera system w/good night vision capable (infrared?) cameras but don't know which brand/models are good. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
rossc, how do the infrared perimeter alarms distinguish between people and deer or other wildlife?
They don't, other than setting the height of the equipment so small animals can go under the beam. It's a fairly narrow beam. It is made by a company called Dakota Digital. It's all wireless and has a two mile range from the transmitter to the base unit. You can also get handheld base units. If we're working a special event I'll set up a few transmitters set on different zones and who ever is working foot patrol will carry the receiver.

Back to animal false alarms, it does happen, but not often. It doesn't set off a siren and notify the police. It just sounds an alert inside the house no louder than a phone ringing. It has a relay output, so you could attach it to an autodialer to dial your cell or a siren.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
rossc: You mind posting the equipment models you're using? I am interested in getting perimeter alarms and a DVR camera system w/good night vision capable (infrared?) cameras but don't know which brand/models are good. Thanks!
Super Circuits sells the cameras. They have a camera with a Lux rating of .0001 and 600 lines of resolution. This is virtually see in the dark with no infrared illumination. The lenses are sold separately. Usually a 6mm or so works well. They run about $20 give or take. It's also not weatherproof, so it will need an enclosure at around $30. Model # is PC164CEX-2.

PC88WR-2 is a good buy on a weatherproof bullet camera. It has a lux rating of .0003 which is still virtually see in the dark. It doesn't have the resolution of the one above but is still more than adequate. Higher resolution is better when you try to zoom in when playing back the video.

PC74WR is a good camera. It has the same resolution as the one above but does not have the low lux rating.

I personally use PC302XS cameras in homemade enclosures with IR23 illuminators where I have no exterior lighting. The cameras at $18 and the illuminators are $35. You should really have exterior lighting. The first two cameras I mentioned can operate with very little light.

Don't waste your time with color cameras. B&W offers better resolution for less money. High resolution color cameras are very expensive and offer no benefit over B&W in IDing a thief.

I got the DVR board on eBay. item # 400039628159 is similar, maybe the same as what I bought. I went with the cheapest thing I found on eBay so if it didn't work I wouldn't be out too much. So far it's working out OK. One thing to be aware of is that these cheaper boards record 30FPS divied by the number of cameras connected. If you have 4 cameras connected, you'll get 7 FPS one each camera. If you have only one camera connected, you'll get 30FPS full motion video. The more expensive boards have one DVR chip per camera and offer 30FPS on each camera. I don't find the reduced frame rate to be problem.

You can also get the Siamese power/video cables in various lengths on eBay. Just search on "CCTV Cables". They sell them in sets of 4.

The only issue I had with the board is getting it connected to the internet. It is supposed to have that feature, but the directions are loosely translated Chinese, which is to be expected with a $20 DVR I suppose. I have another source for boards with US support but they are $160 on the low side and over $600 on the high side. I haven't felt the need to have internet connectivity bad enough to spend that money yet.

Super Circuits has boards also. More money than eBay but better support.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
hey yall, seriously..who is the best to go with for the money? I heart ADT was best, they also the highest..

Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM

59 posts, read 193,972 times
I'd just borrow an alarm sign from a friend who has an alarm system. Stick it in your yard to deter burglars. Then get a good deadbolt for the doors and a shotgun. Oh, and home or renters insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville