Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 AM

20 posts, read 17,734 times

Advertisements

Antioch is in no way pricier than Nashville.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I don't know much about Antioch, but I do know a lot about statistics and this statement is a fallacy. In fact, there is ALWAYS bias in statistics. Good science/mathematics demands rigor and most scientists spend a great deal of time trying to minimize (can never eliminate) bias.

The first bias that comes to mind with crime statistics are differences in reporting methods. The criteria and metrics used in stats may vary between jurisdictions. There can even be incongruities in the variables themselves and how they're defined between different legal and political boundaries. Fear not! because statistics also has a, well, a statistical measure of the error accounted for! Anyway, stats are greatly misused and only as valuable as the quality of the author interpreting them.

I'm making no claim about Antioch or saying you are right or wrong. I just think people should know that just because statistics is a fancy 3 syllable word that's often conducted by people generally perceived as "smart" has nothing to do with bias. There IS bias in statistics.

Carry on...
So, you are in Connecticut? Well, come on down and take a nice long walk through some of the the worse parts of the 37013 after dark. Get back to us on how it turned out if you still have your Ipad and cell phone afterwards. Then you can finish your dissertation on the pros and cons of statistical measurements.

As far as that Lake Forest area of LaVergne that was also mentioned - the LaVergne PD actually had to put an extra police substation in the middle of it to chase out the gangsta crime-drugs-trash after it really went in the crapper for years. This is a shame with some of the nice neighborhoods on the other side of I-24 in LaVergne/Smyrna, just as it's unfortunate for some of the nice areas of 37013 to have ghetto or ghetto-lite within walking distance of their homes.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
So, you are in Connecticut? Well, come on down and take a nice long walk through some of the the worse parts of the 37013 after dark. Get back to us on how it turned out if you still have your Ipad and cell phone afterwards. Then you can finish your dissertation on the pros and cons of statistical measurements.

While you are on the subject, how about posting the statistics and analysis for crime in Antioch?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Every time in the past that it has been done, a mod removed them claiming they were from a (cough-cough) competing web site. Here is a good non-competing site request the info yourself on your own.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Every time in the past that it has been done, a mod removed them claiming they were from a (cough-cough) competing web site. Here is a good non-competing site request the info yourself on your own.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl
Translation: I'm too lazy to post stats or do research. I let the news tell me what to think.

You can get crime statistics from the Metro PD site broken down by Council District. Antioch sprawls over parts of several districts, with at least portions being in districts 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33. While it's been a few years since the districts were redrawn, they should be pretty similar in population.

Here are the total number of violent crime incidents (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) reported in each district in 2014:

Dis. 28 - 266
Dis. 29 - 172
Dis. 30 - 184
Dis. 31 - 71
Dis. 32 - 154
Dis. 33 - 120

To put some of these numbers in context:

Total violent crime incidents in Davidson County in 2014 - 7,477
Average per Council District (Mean)- 214
Median Council Districts - Dis. 29 - 172, Dis. 20 - 171
Highest crime district - Dis. 19 - 855 (11.7% of total)
Lowest crime district - Dis. 25 - 22 (0.3% of total)

Antioch area districts by violent crime rank (out of 35) & percentage of total county violent crime (mean = 2.9%):

Dis. 28 - 7th (3.7%)
Dis. 30 - 15th (2.5%)
Dis. 29 - 17th (2.4%)
Dis. 32 - 20th (2.1%)
Dis. 33 - 24th (1.6%)
Dis. 31 - 28th (1.0%)

Council Districts map:
Nashville > Metro Council > Council Districts

Crime data:
http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/S...lDistricct.pdf

Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 PM

Your translation is incorrect. Every time links were posted to crime stat sites, a mod removed them under the guise of them being from "competing sites." A more correct translation might be that a poster with a screen name that resembled a common name for much of 37013 cried to the mods that anything not sunshine and rainbows and puppy dogs regarding that area was in some way "unfair" to be posted.

Using your numbers, the district 28/29/30 area averaged two reported violent crime incidents (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) every day of the year. While that isn't the constant crime of a hard-core hood such as what people call "Dodge City" - it is still far too high for a suburban area and certainly too high for anybody to pretend there is "little to no crime there."

Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Highest crime district - Dis. 19 - 855 (11.7% of total)
And Dis. 19 includes high dollar Germantown/downtown/Capitol District.
"High crime" isn't keeping people from moving here.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
I live in the highest crime district in Nashville, apparently (D19), yet I do not feel threatened. Each district has 19-20,000 people so each district has several neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Your translation is incorrect. Every time links were posted to crime stat sites, a mod removed them under the guise of them being from "competing sites." A more correct translation might be that a poster with a screen name that resembled a common name for much of 37013 cried to the mods that anything not sunshine and rainbows and puppy dogs regarding that area was in some way "unfair" to be posted.

Using your numbers, the district 28/29/30 area averaged two reported violent crime incidents (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) every day of the year. While that isn't the constant crime of a hard-core hood such as what people call "Dodge City" - it is still far too high for a suburban area and certainly too high for anybody to pretend there is "little to no crime there."
I don't know which sites you posted, but I can tell you I've never had a link removed for being from a competing site. Maybe that wouldn't happen if you did your own research instead of relying on the questionable accuracy or agendas of all kinds of sites that you can Google. There seems to be a new one every week.

The problem I have with the angle you take is that you are quick to post an opinion about how dangerous Antioch is, but you are pretty much silent when it comes to other areas of town. I'm not an Antioch booster, and I don't deny that areas of Antioch have crime issues. But you go out of your way to convince people it's a crime-ridden ghetto. Look at the crime statistics. The worst districts are around Downtown, North Nashville, East Nashville, and South Nashville....not surprising, areas that have a lot of public housing. Now would you blanketly call all of these places unsafe? Avoid at all costs? I sure don't see you posting news links from murders and robberies in those areas.

Even in this very post, you pick out 28, 29, and 30 (which doesn't even include the famous Hickory Hollow area!) to warp the statistics to your bias. What about the rest of the area? Doesn't fit your agenda? Because if you average out the districts, it has roughly the same level of violent crime as Donelson/Hermitage/Old Hickory. The only large area of town that is considerably safer is the South/Southwest area, which also happens to be the most affluent area of the county.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
I live in the highest crime district in Nashville, apparently (D19), yet I do not feel threatened. Each district has 19-20,000 people so each district has several neighborhoods.
And I'm sure that residents in other districts with high violent crime (5 & 6, anyone?) feel the same way. Crime and personal safety can vary down to the individual block. That's why I don't think it's useful to label entire parts of town (or in some cases, entire sides of the county) as dangerous or a place to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville