Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:16 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't be too difficult finding apartments that lease for less than $2k per month...but availability is another story. Call around. Don't get discouraged. It took me a little while to find what I wanted.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Crime in Lockeland Springs:
http://spotcrime.com/tn/nashville/lockeland+springs

Crime in Hillsboro/West End:
http://spotcrime.com/tn/nashville/hillsboro+west+end

Crime in Green Hills:
http://spotcrime.com/tn/nashville/green+hills

This isn't intended to make Nashville look scary, but to let you know that Nashville is a city like any other. With density and mobility comes crime.

There are no "safe" neighborhoods, only neighborhoods that are safer than others. Living in the city means taking a small risk every day with personal safety -- just like driving a car -- but realizing the tradeoff is worth it.

I live in Madison, for example, which has the reputation of being very rough, but I have never been the victim of a crime. On crime maps my neighborhood is pretty much clear, except for two apartment complexes on the north and the south edge.

I would feel safe walking in my neighborhood at night -- if we had sidewalks.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 74,581 times
Thank you for everyone's input! I'm a little worried and confused, but I will be visiting Nashville for two days around Christmas so I will check out apartments while I'm there and further explore these areas.

My husband will most likely be working outside the city, but he doesn't mind commuting if it's under an hour.

Can you guys at least tell me which of the neighborhoods I listed would best fit my criteria? I'm now leaning towards Brentwood (or what I THINK is in the area of Brentwood) because it sounds like nowhere in Nashville is safe enough for me/as safe as what I'm used to in Orange County. Unfortunately, Brentwood doesn't seem to have as much diverse cuisine as Nashville, but right now I value my sense of safety over the proximity of Asian food.

I'm going to look at apartments near the Brentwood Town Center. I take it that since this is near the border of Brentwood, it's not in the "true city". Is that bad?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:59 AM

thanks for those links mad fiddler! I never knew of that website, really helpful (and I like the icons)

Old 12-13-2015, 12:14 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Keep in mind that a lot of areas outside of Davidson County don't report their crimes in the same way, so their crimes don't show up on crime mapping sites. It's difficult to do an oranges to oranges comparison with those areas.

http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/section/public-safety

Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryicecream View Post
Thank you for everyone's input! I'm a little worried and confused, but I will be visiting Nashville for two days around Christmas so I will check out apartments while I'm there and further explore these areas.

My husband will most likely be working outside the city, but he doesn't mind commuting if it's under an hour.

Can you guys at least tell me which of the neighborhoods I listed would best fit my criteria? I'm now leaning towards Brentwood (or what I THINK is in the area of Brentwood) because it sounds like nowhere in Nashville is safe enough for me/as safe as what I'm used to in Orange County. Unfortunately, Brentwood doesn't seem to have as much diverse cuisine as Nashville, but right now I value my sense of safety over the proximity of Asian food.

I'm going to look at apartments near the Brentwood Town Center. I take it that since this is near the border of Brentwood, it's not in the "true city". Is that bad?
Tapestry is the only real multifamily development *in* Brentwood. It's new.

Pretty much anything else you find will be in the part of Nashville/Davidson County that has a Brentwood mailing address. Though not "Brentwood", that area is pretty safe.

In terms of safety, perhaps after you live here for a little while and get acquainted with the area, you will feel more comfortable looking at other neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Tapestry is the only real multifamily development *in* Brentwood. It's new.

In terms of safety, perhaps after you live here for a little while and get acquainted with the area, you will feel more comfortable looking at other neighborhoods.
YES I will look into Tapestry!

And I agree, I'm hoping after I live there for a year or two my levels of comfort will change and I can branch out to other areas. It's the whole going from living in a sheltered bubble my whole life to an entirely different state. I've never lived outside SoCal, not even for college. But as they say, life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:35 PM

20 posts, read 32,121 times
You can go a bit farther out to Franklin or even Spring Hill. They should have everything you're looking for except the Asian food.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:10 AM

74 posts, read 89,798 times
First of all, welcome to the Nashville area! The tone of some of our responses doesn't seem so warm. As a native Nasvillian, I can assure you that hospitality is still alive and well here. I've also lived all over the world - and comparitively feel safe in most of Nashville. An earlier poster suggested apartments along West End. I concur. Additionally, look for condo/apt rentals near White Bridge Rd./Harding (Lions Head, for ex.). Any neighborhood between West End and Charlotte should be quite safe, but will also give great access to Charlotte Pike where there's plenty of Asian restaurants. Otherwise, all the neighborhoods you mentioned would be great...other than your pricing challenge. But don't give up on Nashville in lieu of Brentwood /Franklin. Finally, you may even check out the West Meade to Bellevue corridor starting just west of Hillwood along Harding...then out Hwy 70. Still pretty fast access to Charlotte Pike, the city - and with very safe neighborhoods . My 2 cents only. I predict you'll like it here.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:16 AM

74 posts, read 89,798 times
Ah, one more I meant to mention: look at the 8th South/ Melrose area. Along 8th Ave. (south of Wedgewood) there are lots of new apartments going up, quick access to many areas (outside of rush hours) and right next door to the 12th South neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville