Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 4,627 times

Advertisements

My job will have a position in Nashville, Tennessee that gives me the opportunity to transfer by mid-year. We are a family of three that currently own a home in Illinois so we are looking to rent first. My son will also be ready for college so he is considering applying to Belmont. What are the areas around Nashville (near suburbs), that are affordable and safe? We are looking to pay up to $1000 in rent for a 2-3 bedroom. This will give us time to select an area of choice before we buy again. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
1K won't go very far for rent. Nashville is "IT" city right now and rents are rising fast.

I'd suggest looking at MTSU for college too. A lot cheaper than Belmont.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
modcut

Simsimma,
There are plenty of places in your price range.

Where in the Nashville area is your job?
How far are you willing to commute?
Is your son living with you while in college?

Last edited by Beretta; 01-06-2016 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: quoted posts deleted

Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Please enlighten all of us where the 3bd locations are plenty in Nashville for 1000. You still are also not solving the massive out of state or private school tuition bill the family will have as well.
They asked about 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Here are the list of 2 bedrooms 1000 or less:
Apartments For Rent in Nashville TN | Zillow

There's more on craigslist too.

If they are wanting 3 bedrooms - That's why I asked where in Nashville the job is and how far they are willing to commute. There are also plenty of 3 bedrooms in that range in farther out areas such as Smyrna, Murfreesboro, etc.

As far as tuition, you're just assuming and driving away, not helping. Do you know how old the kid is? Are they starting College tomorrow or next year?

They're transferring with their company, if you didn't realize from the original post. They're not just trying to find the best place to move the family for their son's college stay.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

There's more on craigslist too.

If they are wanting 3 bedrooms - That's why I asked where in Nashville the job is and how far they are willing to commute. There are also plenty of 3 bedrooms in that range in farther out areas such as Smyrna, Murfreesboro, etc.

As far as tuition, you're just assuming and driving away, not helping. Do you know how old the kid is? Are they starting College tomorrow or next year?

They're transferring with their company, if you didn't realize from the original post. They're not just trying to find the best place to move the family for their son's college stay.
A random search on Zillow or craigslist will not find them a safe place to live. Besides that, many of these places are in less than desired areas with crappy schools. Also, I doubt many of these apts. have hardly any openings, if any at all. Imagine a commute from Belmont to some of these places.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:

Most of those are pretty iffy or in questionable areas.

Quote:
My son will also be ready for college so he is considering applying to Belmont.

Sounds like college in fall 2016 to me. Only $14,300 per semester!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
I would gladly leave Nashville if somebody wanned to trade 200-300 acres of beautiful Illinois farmland. You illinoians dont give your state enough credit. Its beautiful once you leave Chicago.Nashville is overrated. The rural parts of TN are really the most beautiful parts.
For the record, I've never lived in Illinois. I've visited Chicago enough to know that I hate it. Nashville, on the other hand, is now my permanent home by choice.

I often read about people taking huge pay cuts to move here. Most are from the NE, California or Chicago. Having moved here from San Antonio (a comparably sized city to Nashville), I actually got a little bit of a pay increase. There are some occupations that pay well no matter where you are located and there are always plenty of jobs available.

I think Nashville's pay scale is pretty comparable to MOST of the rest of America. If you live in an expensive place with higher salaries than the norm, then probably not so much...

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM

What is iffy/unsafe about those listings exactly? Detail?

It is up to person who is moving there, how safe they feel once they see them.

And why is the tuition their son is going to pay an issue at all? They're just looking for places to live.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
A lot of those listings looked ok to me. Hermitage is fine, so is Lincoya Bay Apts.

What they will have to pay for their son's tuition is their business, we shouldn't assume anything.

Hopefully the OP will come back. Let us know the area your job is going to be located, it will make a difference where you choose to live.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
What is iffy/unsafe about those listings exactly? Detail?

It is up to person who is moving there, how safe they feel once they see them.

And why is the tuition their son is going to pay an issue at all? They're just looking for places to live.
The ones in North Nashville are iffy. I can't speak to anything outside of the 440 loop or East Nashville.

Someone up thread mentioned in-state tuition. They won't qualify immediately, but if Belmont, it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville