Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

My family of 6 is looking to move to Williamson County do to a job offer at Vandy. We have narrowed our home search to the public schools in Williamson Cty. Do parents bike their children to any schools? Are there schools with better access to biking paths? I've tried the government website of maps but seeing only trails within parks.... nothing really for getting place A to B. HELP!!!
Second question - are there any neighborhoods better for a 'transplant' family? Want a nice neighborhood where my kids can play outside running with friends (or are there neighborhoods to stay away from)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
What is your housing budget?

In Brentwood, there are several bike trails that lead to elementary schools such as Lipscomb, Crockett, and Kenrose.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
My kids walk/ride their bikes to school in Williamson County. There are a lot of schools. Pearre Creek, Hunters Bend and some in Spring Hill too.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. We'd like to stay under $700k for a home (WOW, prices are high here). We are more used to a $450 sticker price but willing to go where it would be best for our kids!!

It seems like there are no sidewalks in the neighborhoods. Maybe I'm just weird... but from these 2 replies it does seem like biking/walking IS an option.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 PM

If you look up just the three schools I mentioned on a satellite map, you can literally see the paved bike trails that run to the schools. Crockett Elementary is right next to Crockett Park, which has miles of paved trails running through it.

All three schools are within biking distance of hundreds of homes of varying price ranges. There are other elementary schools that are not as safely accessible by bike by virtue of being located on a major road with no sidewalks, etc.

You can use realtracs.com to search by school zone, price range, etc. It is the local MLS website.

Brentwood did not require sidewalks to be built until the early 2000s, so the older neighborhoods don't have them. But the city has about 25 miles of paved trails.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-27-2016 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 03:22 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you look up just the three schools I mentioned on a satellite map, you can literally see the paved bike trails that run to the schools. Crockett Elementary is right next to Crockett Park, which has miles of paved trails running through it.

All three schools are within biking distance of hundreds of homes of varying price ranges. There are other elementary schools that are not as safely accessible by bike by virtue of being located on a major road with no sidewalks, etc.

You can use realtracs.com to search by school zone, price range, etc. It is the local MLS website.

Brentwood did not require sidewalks to be built until the early 2000s, so the older neighborhoods don't have them. But the city has about 25 miles of paved trails.
At your price point take a look at Fieldstone Farms. It was built in the late 90s but nice homes. It has sidewalks and Hunter's Bend elementary is right there in the middle of the neighborhood surrounded by sidewalks and paths. Fieldstone is zoned for 2 elementary schools it is so big. Walnut Grove isn't really "walkable". Realtracs lets you search for homes based on zoned schools.

Also at your price point you should have a lot of options in Westhaven. It is zone for Pearre Creek. Lots of kids walk to school at Pearre Creek. Mine do every day and we live about 3/4 of a mile from school. We use sidewalks the entire way.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM

I think Fieldstone Farms is a great suggestion. If you're used to fitting into 2400 sq ft you should have plenty of choices bigger than that.

There's no need to stretch your budget all the way to $700K.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:08 PM

So helpful!! I didn't think to use the Google Earth view. Also never heard of realtracs! Awesome resources.
PS - NO WAY I could be in a 2400 sq ft home... YIKES my children would kill eachother (if I didn't first).

How do you know what 'Neighborhood' a listed home is in? I'm new to this neighborhood concept.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi2nashville View Post
So helpful!! I didn't think to use the Google Earth view. Also never heard of realtracs! Awesome resources.
PS - NO WAY I could be in a 2400 sq ft home... YIKES my children would kill eachother (if I didn't first).

How do you know what 'Neighborhood' a listed home is in? I'm new to this neighborhood concept.
Sorry, I was getting you confused with another poster who lives in 2400 sq ft with 8 kids.

New to the neighborhood concept??? Where are you moving from? Williamson County is mostly suburban, so there are tons of subdivisions with names. Those are listed when you use realtracs.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM

I'm moving from Central Wisconsin.... culture shock! We have neighbors but not a big city at all.
And.... really 2400 with 8 kids; that sounds unreal, props to that family for making it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville