Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times

Advertisements

Two topics: Jobs and Taxes

Jobs:
As a person involved in hiring, it's really hard to find a competent person who will actually call you back after applying for even a low to mid level position. That means the job market is hot.

There are many companies moving to TN, and specifically Nashville, taking advantage of the work force. We have a highly educated population who is basically fully employed.

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, Tennessee Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

If you are coming from BFE, USA, Nashville looks somewhat expensive. If you are coming from any sort of decent sized city, Nashville looks like a jackpot. See below....

Taxes:

Coming from Illinois (which is a debacle), taxes are lovely down here.

1. Our sales taxes are equal to Illinois if you lived in the Chicago area.
2. Our real estate taxes are 50% of those in Illinois.
3. Our income taxes are at a rate of 0% vs. 5% in Illinois.

Overall, Nashville is a great place to live. Traffic is getting worse. Taxes are low. Weather is outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
The latest figures are in for the Nashville area in terms of real estate sold in the first quarter of 2016.

County - # of home sales - Median Home Price - % Increase from first quarter 2015

Cheatham - $165,000 - -5.7%
Davidson - $249,900 - +20.4%
Dickson - $139,000 - +1.5%
Maury - $185,200 - +1.8%
Robertson - $179,900 - +24.1%
Rutherford - $199,700 - +11%
Sumner - $225,000 - +15.2%
Williamson - $419,380 - +2.5%
Wilson - $259,900 - +11.3%

Since the bottom of the last crash (2011 vs 2016) here's the data:
Cheatham - $132,000 - $165,000 - +25%
Davidson - $150,000 - $249,900 - +66.6%
Dickson - $114,000 - $139,000 - +21.9%
Maury - $124,500 - $185,200 - +48.8%
Robertson - $132,500 - $179,900 - +35.8%
Rutherford - $141,000 - $199,700 - +41.6%
Sumner - $170,000 - $225,000 - +32.4%
Williamson - $342,500 - $419,380 - +22.4%
Wilson - $185,000 - $259,900 - +40.5%

Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 AM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie1212 View Post
Firstly, key2succcess...I don't appreciate your unhelpful response and tone to my post. Secondly, I stand by my comments: the amount of corporate relocation/greenfield is accelerating...has been the past few years. Katrina? What? Yes, some folks moved here. GM? That started in the early 90s and your info is way dated. A recent resurgence in investment and committed resources via GM has definitely helped Maury and Williamson counties...but their contracted, outsourced labor model is definitely not as sweet as the original Saturn biz model. Might want to check your spelling, grammer and overall grasp of facts before you start criticizing and hypothesizing. ...

You might want to check your own grammar before calling somebody else out on it
Have a good day

Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 32,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post

Jobs:
As a person involved in hiring, it's really hard to find a competent person who will actually call you back after applying for even a low to mid level position. That means the job market is hot.

There are many companies moving to TN, and specifically Nashville, taking advantage of the work force. We have a highly educated population who is basically fully employed.
What companies are these? I'm not finding that to be the case at all. I'm still waiting to hear back from a pair of interviews from a month ago. I'm not holding my breath on these anymore, but I know for a fact that neither place has hired anyone yet. Not sure what they're waiting for. I had another place suddenly pull the position I was a finalist for a few months back. Seems they figured out they couldn't fund it after starting the interviews. I've seen hot labor markets before, and Nashville isn't quite up to that level yet if you ask me.

Maybe it's just my field or my age (over 40), but I'm still hoping to find something new soon.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikt1 View Post
What companies are these? I'm not finding that to be the case at all. I'm still waiting to hear back from a pair of interviews from a month ago. I'm not holding my breath on these anymore, but I know for a fact that neither place has hired anyone yet. Not sure what they're waiting for. I had another place suddenly pull the position I was a finalist for a few months back. Seems they figured out they couldn't fund it after starting the interviews. I've seen hot labor markets before, and Nashville isn't quite up to that level yet if you ask me.

Maybe it's just my field or my age (over 40), but I'm still hoping to find something new soon.

age doesnt matter. My dad is over 50 and landed a tech job but he has healthy and active

Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 AM

19 posts, read 38,513 times
I'm having a hard time finding a job. I've been out of the workforce for the past 4 years raising a child.

Before that happened, any job I ever landed was through a connection. Round these parts, it's all about who you know.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM

256 posts, read 482,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I get that population growth is driving the hot market, but I guess the real question is what's driving the population growth?
Just mozy on over to the Crane Watch page, and that's primarily downtown.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Nashville has a good reputation, lots of history, a solid economy and the weather is pretty good too if you're looking for 4 seasons. I'm originally from Chicago, currently living in Atlanta and do not like Atlanta at all. Nashville is high on my list of possible relo locations. The IT market is hot in Nashville and I already have a couple offers so I may be adding to the growth soon.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 28,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post

Jobs:

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, Tennessee Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

If you are coming from BFE, USA, Nashville looks somewhat expensive. If you are coming from any sort of decent sized city, Nashville looks like a jackpot. See below....

Taxes:

Coming from Illinois (which is a debacle), taxes are lovely down here.

1. Our sales taxes are equal to Illinois if you lived in the Chicago area.
2. Our real estate taxes are 50% of those in Illinois.
3. Our income taxes are at a rate of 0% vs. 5% in Illinois.

Overall, Nashville is a great place to live. Traffic is getting worse. Taxes are low. Weather is outstanding.

Out of curiosity, what type of jobs do you hire for? I am a current hiring manager at a large franchise myself and most of the applicants I get are the absolute bottom of the barrel and I would love to have some great applicants walk in the door ( only hire hourly positions ), yet my wife has been employee of the year at two major hospitality companies, one in Orlando and now one here in Nashville, and yet she cant get a call back for an interview. Its like two major extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Had to respond again after looking at current prices. Wow, seems like the cost of homes in the Franklin/Brentwood area have truly skyrocketed! Even at $600K, I cannot find much of anything in the area with at least 1 acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville