Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffric View Post
At this point, my poor son is the only white kid in school. I am pretty sure he will feel much less conspicuous.
Honestly, I would settle for that. I also get the idea, that people need commonalities for acceptance anywhere. Us being LGBTQ is very much a detail to the rest of our jobs, interests, priorities etc.

He is not into sports. He would rather collect rocks (the only kid I know who wanted rocks in his christmas stocking), read (mostly non fiction) or play mine craft. He is into learning guitar. Once we get there, we will try and get him involved in different hobbies.
I am pretty sure he will find like minded friends.

Thank you, that was really a good assessment.
Your son's interests sound like my daughters. I am no expert in Williamson Co. but I think if you are not outlandish in public, Franklin would probably be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 PM

473 posts, read 521,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffric View Post
Artemis, what private high schools are not Christian based (or Christian based but non judgmental, loving) ? I would consider that. I did some tentative research on that and most if not all were very much religious.

We are definitely coming to visit and spend time getting to know the area.
NC right now is politically a minefield. TN is just a little better regarding passing oppressive laws.

Where we live right now in Brooklyn, it is gentrifying rapidly, however on one side we have super religious West Indians and on the other, super religious hasidic Jews (the kind that wear black and white all the time, so it's a bit like walking through a penguin colony).

So, the idea of living amongst religious people isn't new. In fact, we both come from rather interesting religious backgrounds, so it's where we are comfortable.

This is all very helpful by the way. Thank you.
No need to be offensive to other cultures while asking for tolerance.

Have you looked at Atlanta? It has one of the largest LGBT communities in the US. Plus it's just a great city and four hours from Nashville. (And ATL is a true international airport.)

Nashville does have secular private schools (USN, Ensworth) but know that they are SUPER competitive. The magnet schools in Nashville are also highly regarded, but again admission is not guaranteed.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 33,046 times
It sounds like you might be open to other locations as well? Have you looked at St. Louis at all? I am originally from there and I think it is very gay friendly. You will find great schools both in the city and out as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM

171 posts, read 233,324 times
Having lived in some conservative states in my life already like Kansas, South Carolina and now Tennessee, I feel that the Nashville area is the most conservative of the 3. Since moving here last year, I have heard several people refer to Nashville as the buckle of the Bible Belt. Being born and raised Catholic, sometimes I feel like an outsider in Nashville because of my religious beliefs. We lived in suburban Washington, D.C. for a couple of years and it truly is a melting pot of cultures. It wasn't uncommon to hear 5 different languages spoken during a trip to the grocery store. Washington, D.C. would have the milder climate you seek, but housing is incredibly expensive - not quite as bad as NYC, but not what I would consider affordable either. In the past 5 years or so, I've read several articles in the Washington Post that listed Atlanta as having the 3rd largest LBGTQ population behind San Francisco and Seattle - somewhere in the 10-12% percent of the city's population per the last census.

If my husband would have been willing to consider Atlanta, it would have been my personal pick over Nashville. Obviously, it's a larger, metropolitan city than Nashville, with more options to see and do. I love the idea of being able to fly from Atlanta overseas as there are a number of daily transatlantic flights. Atlanta only sees a few inches of snow a year, if they get any at all. Housing is much more affordable in the suburbs of Atlanta. There is MARTA for public transportation. In my mind, the only drawback to Atlanta is the traffic, so you need to find a suitable home with a commute that works for you. People complain about Nashville's traffic, but after sitting on I-66 or the Beltway in Washington, D.C, traffic here just doesn't compare to that or even what NYC has. After enjoying the benefits of living in a large metro, some days I feel out of place living in a place with a small-town feel like Nashville.

I can't speak personally to the school environment and tolerance within Williamson County schools as our kids are still in preschool. However, my heart is saddened by your son's situation. Middle school and being a teenager is tough enough without the harassment that he is dealing with daily. I wish you and your family all the best in your search for a new location to call home.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:06 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
I wasn't planning on posting anything due to the fact I don't have children and I think that's a big part of this whole thread. I will say.....as a 49 year old gay man who has lived in Nashville for over 20 years....some of these posts are a bit much. It has been my experience that people in the Nashville metro area are nice and polite. When you get outside of the city the diversity level kicks down a notch. People are more homogeneous and when something (or someone) is different they ask questions. Still...I have never had anyone be mean or hostile toward me. The city of Nashville is a fairly progressive southern city....if you don't believe me...look at the mayors we have elected and the legislation we've passed (even though most of it gets nullified by the state legislature). The ONLY people that I feel are out to do me harm is the state legislature. We have a HORRIBLY unbalanced legislature that leans on the crazy side. I've read several articles detailing the chaos of the Republican Party and how things could change this year in our own elections. We will see.

To the OP. I saw a comment where you said Asheville was out due to the hostile state legislature....ours is no better (for now). Normally I would say you will be fine. But, I think....because your child has had a hard time....you are going to have to research the specific schools you enroll him in....no matter which city or which state you move to. Having lived in several different states and cities...I can tell you....there are mean people everywhere. Some parts of the country just keep their thoughts to themselves more than others.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I have read on C-D that Columbia SC is surprisingly welcoming. is that an option?

I'll encourage you to look at Knoxville if that would work for your careers. I'm of the opinion the Appalachian culture is more live and let live. The west side of town is geared to transplants, generally has the best public schools, and is the most corporate. It has the very crunchy private Greenway middle school, then Webb is a highly rated private secular school (geared towards old money).

While I can understand ruling out Asheville for career reasons, it saddens me to read you are holding them accountable for actions at the state level.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Move to the Dallas area.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

108 posts, read 119,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I have read on C-D that Columbia SC is surprisingly welcoming. is that an option?

I'll encourage you to look at Knoxville if that would work for your careers. I'm of the opinion the Appalachian culture is more live and let live. The west side of town is geared to transplants, generally has the best public schools, and is the most corporate. It has the very crunchy private Greenway middle school, then Webb is a highly rated private secular school (geared towards old money).

While I can understand ruling out Asheville for career reasons, it saddens me to read you are holding them accountable for actions at the state level.
I currently live in Knoxville, and I would think Knoxville would be less idea than the original area for the post. Who knows though.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post

The ONLY people that I feel are out to do me harm is the state legislature. We have a HORRIBLY unbalanced legislature that leans on the crazy side.
It leans to the Baptist side, for sure.

There are many state legislators who are Baptist and from a couple other denominations that are clearly anti-gay. There also are some surprisingly vocal legislators from VERY small towns who do things that get the entire state a lot of negative press. (Bean Station?? Really??!)

They do not even represent the views of all Republicans, not to mention all Tennesseans.

Anyway, OP, if you're still around, my posts are meant to reflect my experience as someone who is out and about and very active in one of the communities you asked about. My assertion that you will be a novelty in this particular community stands. My primary concern, though, about your goal to move HERE is the very stark lifestyle difference between "here" and where you're currently from.

The only thing that will guarantee failure in the transition is if you come here with a chip on your shoulder and a case to prove. Edgefield is right: People here are generally nice. If you are open and friendly to them, most will respond in kind.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:39 PM

173 posts, read 182,075 times
Ill admit to only skimming these posts. I would highly recommend the west coast. I did see you are ruling it out, but I'm not quite sure why. It seems like for your day to day happiness some areas on the west coast would fit very well. Take it or leave it but id really look at what your hoping to get and if the reasons you are staying in certain areas still out weigh the day to day life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville