Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:01 AM

846 posts, read 609,650 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Can anyone explain why this property is so cheap when compared to housing in Brentwood? I know the school district in the Brentwood area is a factor but the house linked is beautiful sitting on over 3 acres and roughly the same distance to downtown as parts of Brentwood. A comparable house in the south would be over a million dollars, at least. The price difference is enormous.

Just curious, thanks

1568 Dickens Ln, Goodlettsville, TN 37072 | MLS #1760399 | Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:41 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Because people pay a premium to live in a place like Brentwood (or any other safe, homogenized nice area with great schools). That premium has become very high.

There's nothing wrong with picking the north side, though, if you find a property you like. There are some nice areas up there, too. It's just not as uniformly nice as areas like Brentwood.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:00 PM

159 posts, read 269,416 times
Brentwood is over priced because it's the "Beverly Hills" of Tennessee. There's more affordable suburbs with good housing that aren't as expensive such as Mt. Juliet, Goodlettsville and Hendersonville.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Belle Meade is more of the Beverly Hills of Tennessee IMO.

And I think "overpriced" is in the eye of the beholder. I think it has more to offer than Mount Juliet, Goodlettsville, and Hendersonville, if you can afford to live there. Again, my opinion.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 PM

50 posts, read 71,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Brentwood is over priced
Ha!You got that right!

I wouldn't say Brentwood's the Beverly Hills of TN either-Belle Meade makes a stronger case. Brentwood is a nice suburb though.

With that being said, I have zero desire to live in Williamson County or Brentwood. Its just not what I'm comfortable with. Interestingly, I'm now seeing more Williamson County residents coming out here more now that want a more rural way of life, but I'm sure Wilson County residents are moving out towards Brentwood too.

I just enjoy the lake, Music City Star, Grand Ole Opry, Airport and rural way of life a little more over here in Wilson County (Mt. Juliet). I think there may be more upside to living here too for young kids IMHO. I also prefer John Deere's to BMW's.

Again, nothing wrong with Brentwood, its just not for me. So yeah, I prefer the north and east of Nashville. Some of the lake houses in Hendersonville/Mt. Juliet are absolutely beautiful, especially on the Harbor Island off Saundersville Rd. If only I had a couple million dollars.

Last edited by lakegirlfromwilson; 10-08-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirlfromwilson View Post
Interestingly, I'm now seeing more Williamson County residents coming out here more now that want a more rural way of life...
Yeah, that's smart. Move to a fast growing county to get a more rural way of life.

Let's see how that works out for you.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:43 PM

473 posts, read 520,941 times
Williamson County schools are considered some of the best in the state. It's also worth pointing out that Brentwood gives you the easiest access to all the major job hubs (Cool Springs, Maryland Farms, Vanderbilt, downtown Nashville) and depending on where you are in Brentwood, you don't have to get on a highway. I hear the commute from Mt. Juliet can get pretty brutal. Being central is pretty important if you were a family like we were: parents with a split commute in opposite directions.

So for all those factors, Brentwood commands a premium.

I also suspect that Brentwood is the "brand name" suburb. For transplants like us, people said Brentwood was the best and we wanted the best! Coming from a much higher cost of living place, price really wasn't a big factor.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Yeah, that's smart. Move to a fast growing county to get a more rural way of life.

Let's see how that works out for you.
Uh Nope. Much smaller when compared to Williamson.

2010-2015 Est. (5 year growth rate)
County Population
Williamson County- 211, 672 (15.6% growth rate)
Wilson County-128, 911 (13.1% growth rate)

City Population- Est. 2015
Franklin (Williamson)- 72, 639---Also conducting a special census due to rapid growth.
Brentwood(Williamson)- 41, 763
Mt. Juliet(Wilson)- 31,540

Last edited by lakegirlfromwilson; 10-08-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I also suspect that Brentwood is the "brand name" suburb. For transplants like us, people said Brentwood was the best and we wanted the best! Coming from a much higher cost of living place, price really wasn't a big factor.
Ahh..now you get it.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I hear the commute from Mt. Juliet can get pretty brutal. Being central is pretty important if you were a family like we were: parents with a split commute in opposite directions.
Not at all, if you're referring to the commute downtown.

The Music City Star (commuter rail) is 25-30 min to downtown every day M-F, without any traffic or delays. Williamson County does not have this and the commute can be longer in many instances in Williamson County by car.

Century City/Briley/Airport (lots of good paying or white collar jobs)- 15 minutes by car from Mt. Juliet.

Last edited by lakegirlfromwilson; 10-08-2016 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville