Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:04 PM

16 posts, read 18,123 times

Advertisements

Well, the title kind of says it all. I've visited many times, but am now considering relocation, and looking for input. All opinions and info would be appreciated.

Will I be thrilled, or will I regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 03:22 PM

67 posts, read 48,626 times
I’d guess you’d likely regret it. What would you be thrilled about?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,088,098 times
You probably wouldn't like Franklin but you'd likely be satisfied in several areas of Nashville itself.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,515,257 times
Why would anyone know if you'd regret/thrill to it? Just because you're a particular type. I think in the grand scheme of things, people don't give a rip if you're a green, two-headed, duck-billed zebra... if you are kind and respect others. Depending on where you're living now, you may find it even more tolerant of different pegs. For example, I've never felt more unwelcome than I do in Manhattan every time I go there.... I'm a white conservative late thirties married straight guy with children. When people there learn that, they think they know everything about me. They don't know that I own an Internet-based firm and enjoy Dungeons & Dragons own 4 classic Corvettes that I've restored myself... oh, and I was homeless in my teens.

Back to you: People will not respond well if you're someone who thinks your opinion is the only (most important) one and you talk about how things where you came from are so much better/more enlightened.

Franklin is a family oriented city, but its proximity to Nashville helps with openness and amenities for singles. Also, lots of singles now live in the Cool Springs area, as that's a corporate hub. I'm sure you would not be the only straight, single, vegetarian, liberal atheist mature person in your apartment complex or street.

If you've visited many times before, and you never felt like ppl were labeling you, then that's very likely the way it will be as a resident. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 18,123 times
I didn't mean to incite anyone's ire or cast aspersions on Franklin. I LIKE the place, or I wouldn't be considering relocation. It's charming, bucolic, dynamic, and solid.

Sad to say, but yes, people DO very much "give a rip if you're a green, two-headed, duck-billed zebra," sometimes way too much. Perhaps that is because open-mindedness is one of the things we're not so good at in the world these days, whether in NY, MN, CA, OH, TX, or anywhere, really. Geography doesn't determine or guarantee anything. So, there are places in the country where, sometimes, enough people do NOT have open-minds and welcoming hearts, and that changes the culture of the town.

I've been to Franklin a number of times, and have my own take, but I wanted to hear from natives, or other transplants, because that kind of info is different even from what you can get as a visitor who hangs around for a while.

Hell, I wish everyone WERE open-minded, kind, and tolerant of (even -- wow -- interested in) others' perspectives. Maybe that's exactly what I'd find in Franklin. I'd like to think so.

Thanks for all input.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
I vote for the regret category

Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
N Cal tends to see a lot of negative. She does not live in Franklin but probably has friends who do.

I live in Franklin and I like it very much. My sister lives here too and is Vegan and finds enough to eat. She doesn’t have any problem at all being an atheist. She IS very liberal and has problems with the politics. One, I rarely talk politics so am fine with it. Two, I saw a report that politics is now driving some real estate markets with lots of conservatives leaving California.

Forget the labels. Trust your gut.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 AM

136 posts, read 211,143 times
You can do it, but it won't be easy, certainly at first. There are similar people, but you will have to work to find them.
Also, it will test your definition of tolerance. I moved here 16 years ago, married, liberal from the northeast, atheist/agnostic. It took me a year to find somebody I considered a real friend, and two years before I would say I liked the place. Franklin has grown quite a bit since then, and perhaps has a slightly more diverse set of view points, but it is overwhelmingly conservative and Christian. Get used to being in the minority, and get used to being shocked by what other people say and believe. I learned that tolerance is a two way street, so just as I expect people to tolerate diversity, I have to tolerate people believing that not everybody deserves access to healthcare and what the world really needs is more citizens with guns. So the things I tolerate in the name of getting along with people has really tested what it means to be tolerant. That being said, I live among and work among many Republicans, and as long as I keep my personal views to myself, I seem to get along with most. I would say that most people are fundamentally good people and well meaning, but they view the world through an entirely different lens. If you do come, I would suggest getting involved with groups that mean something to you, and that will help you find your way. A lot of people rely on church or their kids for their social groups, so that will be a challenge for you. Volunteering with certain groups that mean something to you can help - for instance a dog shelter or women's shelter or something like that, or join an exercise class, something that speaks to you. You can do it, but it will be an upfront culture shock and challenge. Also the food isn't as good no matter what anybody tells you. Say good-bye to the California Burrito or bring one to me.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 PM

374 posts, read 694,200 times
My profile matches yours exactly except for the single part. I've been here nearly a decade and Budgiegirl's comments sound about right. I live in south Nashville (somewhat upscale, low density 'hood) so might be similar to Franklin in terms of demographics. Kindred spirits are here but you will have to seek them out. There are many liberals throughout the middle TN area but they tend to be somewhat stealthy. When I first arrived I assumed everyone who appeared to be educated and artsy was liberal. Wrong! As long as you're comfortable being around people whose values and beliefs you don't understand you'll be OK. I'm constantly shaking my head. But church is a social institution in the south and the majority don't see the teachings/culture as problematic. I think that's typical for landlocked communities that haven't experienced multiculturalism. Many transplants here and lots are progressive, but also transplanted conservatives who moved to escape us *******s. Surprise - we followed you here!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
N Cal tends to see a lot of negative. She does not live in Franklin but probably has friends who do.

Did have friends who lived in Franklin. They moved back to California and are so much happier.

I agree - what is the draw specifically to Franklin? And what is your budget? I think you'd be better suited for pockets of East Nashville, Germantown or even Donelson.

And I'll take an everything bagel with a schmear of scallion cream cheese and tomato with a cuppa black please. Haven't tried Proper Bagel on Belmont, but I hear they are the closest to NY bagels here. http://properbagel.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville