Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 AM

306 posts, read 547,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr.scr View Post
Well, the title kind of says it all. I've visited many times, but am now considering relocation, and looking for input. All opinions and info would be appreciated.

Will I be thrilled, or will I regret it?
I'm not sure why or how some people who responded could state with certainty that you'd not like it. In my opinion, if you've visited several times then you know what the area is like. I loved Franklin and used to work there years ago. I lived in Spring Hills back then (and Green Hills for a very short time, just several months). I think that Franklin is an awesome place with a great downtown area, cool little stores, health food stores, art, culture, etc.

I hear that Franklin and actually almost all of Middle Tennessee has changed a lot over the past few years, and my experience of working in Franklin and living in Spring Hill was from around 2011. I can't wait to move back there again. My suggestion to you is to pick a city that you liked when you visited in the past (Franklin, for example) drive around when you get into town and see if you still like it, and if you do then take a chance and begin your life there. What's the worst that could happen? At the very worst, you'll be moving 6 months or a year later.

Oh btw I'm vegetarian too (vegan actually). No trouble remaining vegan while living in Middle Tennessee.

Good luck!

Last edited by veg-gal; 12-31-2017 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
I'm not sure why or how some people who responded could state with certainty that you'd not like it. In my opinion, if you've visited several times then you know what the area is like. I loved Franklin and used to work there years ago. I lived in Spring Hills back then (and Green Hills for a very short time, just several months). I think that Franklin is an awesome place with a great downtown area, cool little stores, health food stores, art, culture, etc.

I hear that Franklin and actually almost all of Middle Tennessee has changed a lot over the past few years, and my experience of working in Franklin and living in Spring Hill was from around 2011. I can't wait to move back there again. My suggestion to you is to pick a city that you liked when you visited in the past (Franklin, for example) drive around when you get into town and see if you still like it, and if you do then take a chance and begin your life there. What's the worst that could happen? At the very worst, you'll be moving 6 months or a year later.

Oh btw I'm vegetarian too (vegan actually). No trouble remaining vegan while living in Middle Tennessee.

Good luck!
I will be visiting Franklin next week. I plan to take the plunge late summer.

My primary focus is Franklin but I am becoming increasingly interested in Mount Juliet, Hendersonville and Spring Hill. Spring Hill looks pretty close to Franklin. There seems to be jobs in Franklin and Brentwood. I guess it will depend on where I secure employment. I really do not want to commute more than 30 minutes each way.

Any insight you can provide? What I should look for? I would love to experience a live show. restaurants to check out?

Ultimately, I want to buy real estate in a safe area that is close to amenities such as grocery stores, malls, parks and a library.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:09 AM

367 posts, read 586,756 times
The hypocrisy in some of these posts is comical. They speak of seeking "openmindeness" and "acceptance" of their opinions, views, and lifestyles but have no intention in offering up the same to church goers or conservative people in the area.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
The hypocrisy in some of these posts is comical. They speak of seeking "openmindeness" and "acceptance" of their opinions, views, and lifestyles but have no intention in offering up the same to church goers or conservative people in the area.
Good point. I say live and let live. You can have things in common and still dislike the person. People are an anomaly to me.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:55 PM

306 posts, read 547,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I will be visiting Franklin next week. I plan to take the plunge late summer.
..... Any insight you can provide? What I should look for? I would love to experience a live show. restaurants to check out?

Ultimately, I want to buy real estate in a safe area that is close to amenities such as grocery stores, malls, parks and a library.
Spring Hill has grown so much since I lived there several years ago. Even back then there were lots of housing options, but now there are lots of apartment communities as well. Several large employers are in Spring Hill, for example GM, a hospital, several nursing homes and assisted living facilities, several schools and retail businesses. My friends tell me that Spring Hill has more than doubled in housing since I was there around 2011/2012, and that it's also more expensive, but I think it's all relative.

Also keep in mind that your commute from Spring Hill to Franklin - Cool Springs area (lots of retail, restaurants, bars, etc in Cool Springs) will be about 20-30 minutes max, and often much less. Again, I'm speaking from when I used to live there.

I've been to Mt Juliet and Hendersonville. I remember thinking that Mt Juliet was not fully developed back then, with lot of open spaces and houses in the process of going up. I'm assuming all that is completed now. The same with Hendersonville, but I found both Mt Juliet and Hendersonville a little too far a drive for me because I tended to spend most of my time Franklin / Cool Springs, and I worked in Franklin back then.

If you end up working and living in Mt Juliet or Hendersonville, then you wouldn't have to worry about a long commute but I tend to like places that are a little more built up (again, I'm referring to how things were when I was living out there in 2011) and with thrift stores and lots of grocery stores (i.e. options), parks, bookstores, libraries, as well as restaurants of various prices.

If you like Chinese / Japanese food, check out Fulin's. They started in Spring Hill, then opened in Brentwood, and also Mt Juliet. They made their kung pao dish vegan for me and they had an amazing Singapore Rice Noodles that was also easily veganized. Sorry I can't be of much help re: other restaurants. Back then vegan options were fewer, and I tended to go to the same couple places once I found some good ones.

As for safe housing, you'll find out very quickly that Spring Hill, Franklin and Brentwood are some of the the safest cities around. Do add Thompson Station to your list as well. It's in between Franklin and Spring Hill. As for safety, you definitely want to avoid areas like Antioch, some neighborhoods in Murfreesboro and some parts of Columbia. There are other areas to avoid as well, but those are the ones I remember right now.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Spring Hill has grown so much since I lived there several years ago. Even back then there were lots of housing options, but now there are lots of apartment communities as well. Several large employers are in Spring Hill, for example GM, a hospital, several nursing homes and assisted living facilities, several schools and retail businesses. My friends tell me that Spring Hill has more than doubled in housing since I was there around 2011/2012, and that it's also more expensive, but I think it's all relative.

Also keep in mind that your commute from Spring Hill to Franklin - Cool Springs area (lots of retail, restaurants, bars, etc in Cool Springs) will be about 20-30 minutes max, and often much less. Again, I'm speaking from when I used to live there.

I've been to Mt Juliet and Hendersonville. I remember thinking that Mt Juliet was not fully developed back then, with lot of open spaces and houses in the process of going up. I'm assuming all that is completed now. The same with Hendersonville, but I found both Mt Juliet and Hendersonville a little too far a drive for me because I tended to spend most of my time Franklin / Cool Springs, and I worked in Franklin back then.

If you end up working and living in Mt Juliet or Hendersonville, then you wouldn't have to worry about a long commute but I tend to like places that are a little more built up (again, I'm referring to how things were when I was living out there in 2011) and with thrift stores and lots of grocery stores (i.e. options), parks, bookstores, libraries, as well as restaurants of various prices.

If you like Chinese / Japanese food, check out Fulin's. They started in Spring Hill, then opened in Brentwood, and also Mt Juliet. They made their kung pao dish vegan for me and they had an amazing Singapore Rice Noodles that was also easily veganized. Sorry I can't be of much help re: other restaurants. Back then vegan options were fewer, and I tended to go to the same couple places once I found some good ones.

As for safe housing, you'll find out very quickly that Spring Hill, Franklin and Brentwood are some of the the safest cities around. Do add Thompson Station to your list as well. It's in between Franklin and Spring Hill. As for safety, you definitely want to avoid areas like Antioch, some neighborhoods in Murfreesboro and some parts of Columbia. There are other areas to avoid as well, but those are the ones I remember right now.

Good luck!
I appreciate your response. As always, it will depend on where I land a job. Thompson Station is closer to Franklin but it is rural. Less than 3000 people live there.

It looks like a lot of the healthcare opportunities are in Franklin and Brentwood. I am going to focus on both of these places when I visit next week. I may visit Spring Hill if I have time.

I do like Chinese/Japanese food. If I make it to Spring Hill, I will check it out.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,748,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I appreciate your response. As always, it will depend on where I land a job. Thompson Station is closer to Franklin but it is rural. Less than 3000 people live there.

It looks like a lot of the healthcare opportunities are in Franklin and Brentwood. I am going to focus on both of these places when I visit next week. I may visit Spring Hill if I have time.

I do like Chinese/Japanese food. If I make it to Spring Hill, I will check it out.

Thanks.
There may be 3000 residents but how many people coming into town every day? Our corporate headquarters is moving there soon. Which will bring hundreds of people to the roads there.

So are other companies..

Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM

I am happy there are businesses in the suburbs.

I was reviewing the Franklin, TN brochure. There is so much to do. There is no need to go to Nashville.

I am really looking forward to my visit next week.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 172,183 times
I'd look at East Nashville instead if you don't mind city life and want something in Tennessee. Franklin is very conservative, snobby, traditional family-focused.....

Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 PM

I will not have time to check it out during this trip. What does it mean to be conservative vs. liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville