Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,673 times

Advertisements

Many news bylines that have a major city in its byline don't include the state name with the city. For example, if it's from Seattle, it would be "SEATTLE" without Washington, "ATLANTA" without Georgia, "MIAMI" without Florida, etc. This is because it is assumed that most readers know what state that each of these cities are located in, even though this may not be true (due to lack of basic geographical knowledge among many) and there may be other cities and towns in other states that share the same name (i.e. there are 10 other cities and towns in the USA named Atlanta besides Atlanta, GA and 10 other Miamis besides the Miami in Florida). Exceptions would be when a major city shares the same name with another significant city in another state, like Kansas City (the largest city in Missouri, adjacent to its namesake neighbor in Kansas) or Portland (the largest city in Oregon, named after Portland, Maine).

Nashville is the largest city and capital of its state, a major tourist destination, one of American's leading music and entertainment centers, home of multiple major sports teams, a leading center for businesses, home of a significant number of important historical figures, a city in a metropolitan area that is growing at a faster rate than most other comparable metro areas, and a city that is larger than many cities that don't need to be identified with its state in a news byline. Thus, why is it when I see a Nashville byline, it usually appears as "NASHVILLE, TN," "NASHVILLE, Tenn.," or something similar, instead of just "NASHVILLE"?

Old 06-01-2020, 11:11 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Many news bylines that have a major city in its byline don't include the state name with the city. For example, if it's from Seattle, it would be "SEATTLE" without Washington, "ATLANTA" without Georgia, "MIAMI" without Florida, etc. This is because it is assumed that most readers know what state that each of these cities are located in, even though this may not be true (due to lack of basic geographical knowledge among many) and there may be other cities and towns in other states that share the same name (i.e. there are 10 other cities and towns in the USA named Atlanta besides Atlanta, GA and 10 other Miamis besides the Miami in Florida). Exceptions would be when a major city shares the same name with another significant city in another state, like Kansas City (the largest city in Missouri, adjacent to its namesake neighbor in Kansas) or Portland (the largest city in Oregon, named after Portland, Maine).

Nashville is the largest city and capital of its state, a major tourist destination, one of American's leading music and entertainment centers, home of multiple major sports teams, a leading center for businesses, home of a significant number of important historical figures, a city in a metropolitan area that is growing at a faster rate than most other comparable metro areas, and a city that is larger than many cities that don't need to be identified with its state in a news byline. Thus, why is it when I see a Nashville byline, it usually appears as "NASHVILLE, TN," "NASHVILLE, Tenn.," or something similar, instead of just "NASHVILLE"?
Ask the Associated Press. The A.P. wrote its stylebook back in 1953 in order to standardize mass communication. Only 30 cities don't have to be followed by their respective states, and Nashville isn't one of them. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_s.../ap_style.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-02-2020, 05:08 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
There are several cities in the US named Nashville.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Interesting about AP. I didnt know that.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:27 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Ask the Associated Press. The A.P. wrote its stylebook back in 1953 in order to standardize mass communication. Only 30 cities don't have to be followed by their respective states, and Nashville isn't one of them. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_s.../ap_style.html
You will notice that eight states are missing from this list. That is because Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Ohio, Texas and Utah are never abbreviated.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:03 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post

Nashville is the largest city and capital of its state,
Capital of the state of TN yes, but when did it surpass Memphis as being the largest city? (Largest city in middle TN.)

Old 06-03-2020, 07:04 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You will notice that eight states are missing from this list. That is because Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Ohio, Texas and Utah are never abbreviated.
Have to wonder why they are not abbreviated in print. I do it all the time; since I have lived in UT and now live in ID. But I'm not a reporter.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Have to wonder why they are not abbreviated in print. I do it all the time; since I have lived in UT and now live in ID. But I'm not a reporter.
There’s a difference between the postal code abbreviation (TN) and the AP style (Tenn.)

Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Capital of the state of TN yes, but when did it surpass Memphis as being the largest city? (Largest city in middle TN.)
In 2016.

Census estimate: Nashville overtakes Memphis in population

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-03-2020, 07:56 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
There are 8 other Nashvilles, but of course none of them has the name recognition. Using a city name by itself without the state attached could never happen with a city like Lexington, for instance, as there are 25 Lexingtons in the US. But I think one of the main reasons is that it is a nice-sounding, easy to pronounce name with the state added - Nashville, Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville