Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 04:27 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
There are 8 other Nashvilles, but of course none of them has the name recognition. Using a city name by itself without the state attached could never happen with a city like Lexington, for instance, as there are 25 Lexingtons in the US. But I think one of the main reasons is that it is a nice-sounding, easy to pronounce name with the state added - Nashville, Tennessee.
Or Richmond, Charleston, Columbia, Jackson, etc.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:51 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
There are 8 other Nashvilles, but of course none of them has the name recognition. Using a city name by itself without the state attached could never happen with a city like Lexington, for instance, as there are 25 Lexingtons in the US. But I think one of the main reasons is that it is a nice-sounding, easy to pronounce name with the state added - Nashville, Tennessee.
There are 28 places in the US named Cleveland, but Cleveland, Ohio, doesn't need to be followed by its state according to the Associated Press. Back in 1953 that was understandable since Cleveland was much more nationally prominent than Nashville (or Louisville or Memphis or Charlotte etc).

With print journalism fading quickly, issues like this will fade, too. When following national news programs via other media (radio, TV, and of course the internet), I've found that most reporters and announcers simply say "Nashville" when referring to Tennessee's Nashville.

But I agree, there is something musical about saying Nashville, Tennessee as opposed to just Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Have to wonder why they are not abbreviated in print. I do it all the time; since I have lived in UT and now live in ID. But I'm not a reporter.
Alaska gets confused with Arkansas or Alabama when abbreviated. Not sure what the logic is for Hawaii. The others have five or fewer letters so the abbreviation would be superfluous.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Ask the Associated Press. The A.P. wrote its stylebook back in 1953 in order to standardize mass communication. Only 30 cities don't have to be followed by their respective states, and Nashville isn't one of them. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_s.../ap_style.html
Exactly right. I’m guessing that fewer Americans were familiar with Tennessee in the 1950s. Nashville was much smaller then, and country music wasn’t as mainstream. If the A.P. were ever to update their stylebook, I wonder if they would include more cities without state abbreviations afterwards.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:31 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Capital of the state of TN yes, but when did it surpass Memphis as being the largest city? (Largest city in middle TN.)
Memphis is larger in population, however there are no other cities within a 50 mile radius of there with any appreciable people.

Nashville is surrounded by medium size communities like Bowling Green, Dickson, Clarksville, Springfield, Gallatin, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, Franklin and Columbia. Put'em all together, and they'll have twice the population of Memphis and it's surrounding towns.

I once flew over Bowling Green at night (coming in from Chicago), and it was solid lights on the ground until our landing in Huntsville. Middle Tennessee's no longer country.

Fly over Memphis at night, and you'd never seen so much "black" on the ground outside of that city.

Another interesting statistic is restaurants. Over half of all the restaurants in the state of Tennessee are in Nashville--over 2500.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Memphis is larger in population,
No, it's not.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58280320-post9.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alaska gets confused with Arkansas or Alabama when abbreviated. Not sure what the logic is for Hawaii. The others have five or fewer letters so the abbreviation would be superfluous.
I was thinking originally thinking because the AP thing was set in 1953, where neither Alaska and Hawaii were states yet that they just didn't include them in yet. But you're right, a lot of people are really bad about those A state's abbreviation.

Maybe they count the double i's as one which fits in the 5 and fewer letters. I don't know but it is curious.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:45 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Apples and apples in 2010 census:

Shelby County: 927,644

Davidson County: 626,681

But that doesn't tell the total story. it's the metro areas that really count.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Memphis is larger in population
Quote:
Apples and apples in 2010 census:

Shelby County: 927,644

Davidson County: 626,681

But that doesn't tell the total story. it's the metro areas that really count.

You said Memphis is larger in population than Nashville, not Shelby County is larger in population than Davidson County. But since you want to go there:

Shelby County: 785 square miles (or 1,181 per square mile using 2010 numbers, 1,194 using 2019 numbers)

Davidson County: 526 square miles (or 1,191 per square mile using 2010 numbers, 1,326 using 2019 numbers)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-04-2020 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-05-2020, 03:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
I love Nashville TN. Been there many times. Some business and some pleasure. However, according to Wikipedia there are about twenty Nashville cities and towns in the USA. At one point in my career, I actually lived near Nashville MO.

Currently, I am retired in San Diego. Most people know where San Diego is. But there is a tiny town in Texas with the same name. Maybe I should say I live in San Diego CA.

Go Titans! Before Jeff Fisher (the first coach of the Titans) became famous, Jeff and I were good friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville