Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are likely going to be moving to Nashville within the next 12 mos b/c of my husband's job. We've being living in NY - my husband is an American - i'm a Canadian (from Toronto) - I have US citizenship...although the move is driven by my husband's career, my current company has an office in Nashville and I anticipate getting a transfer without a problem.

The housing we've been looking at has been mainly in Belle Meade (this is mainly b/c of our housing desires shared with our realtor - I have not spent much time there or in Nashville in general) - can someone give me a sense of how conservative this area is relative to the Nashville area - and how attached the community is to Nashville proper.

While I, personally, am very liberal, my husband is a Republican, albeit a centre-right type...he also has close family who are quite conservative who i get along with well - so it's not as though i'm hostile to those who have different political views. I'm also fully aware that TN is a very conservative state.

I am just wondering - if we move to Belle Meade, will I be living in an extremely conservative realm or a moderate republican realm..and is this just kinda a "suburb" of more liberal Nashville proper - or if you live in Belle Meade will you find your live very centred around this.

Sorry - I'm aware that my questions (and probably my assumptions) seem a bit ignorant - it's just i'm trying to get a lay of the land for a likely move when I haven't spent much time in the city.

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 PM

61 posts, read 95,100 times
Doubtful you will have many actual residents of BM replying as it is small (among other adjectives I’m sure others will be along shortly to extend). My parents have been in BM almost 50 years and live down the same street as former democratic VP Al Gore. My parents are quite liberal. I’m absolutely sure they would be willing to talk to you about the area. Send me a direct message if that’s something that would be helpful to you.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhere View Post
Doubtful you will have many actual residents of BM replying as it is small (among other adjectives I’m sure others will be along shortly to extend). My parents have been in BM almost 50 years and live down the same street as former democratic VP Al Gore. My parents are quite liberal. I’m absolutely sure they would be willing to talk to you about the area. Send me a direct message if that’s something that would be helpful to you.
I'm not sure that we actually have a demand on Belle Meade per se - my husband's family lived in that area for a while when they were living in TN - i was just looking at a map, and maybe i'm using it as a proxy for a larger surrounding

My sister in law (my husband's sister) went to Harpeth Hall and from what i've seen i would really like our daughters to go there (they are currently in a all girls private school in NYC & I did k-12 at a girls private school in Toronto).

I'm just trying to get a lay of the land re Nashville - and I think one of the reasons we've been looking at the Belle Meade area is b/c my husband lived there for a while growing up, it's suburban, and I really love the look of Harpeth.

I'm just hoping to live in an area where it's normal for other liberals to be around (and just to re-iterate - there are many conservatives in my husband's family so i'm very happy around those w/ different politcal views).

Old 07-26-2020, 08:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Nashville is a bright blue dot within red Tennessee. It might be more helpful if you gave us your budget and where the jobs are going to be located generally and any other considerations you’re looking at.

Off the top of my head I would also say green hills, Belmont/12 South and hillsboro Village would also be possibilities.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:58 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
BM is small enough to have a mix of both D's (Al Gore) & R's (Bill Frist). If you want to be political could mean a private dinner event somewhere in BM.

As for living in BM your Realtor will be your best guide. For homes over $1M may get your name in paper as buyer.

General advice here is to know where employment is located & find best short route from BM into downtown, Vandyland, Midtown. Plenty of shopping from Kroger to Publix to Trader Joe & Target nearby.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I'm a democrat living in Belle Meade, in 2016 there were maybe 4-5 Trump signs total in all of Belle Meade. I haven't seen a single one yet this election. Most of my friends in Belle Meade who claim to be republicans are more in the Romney camp of the GOP.

The rabid 45 fans tend to be more in the suburbs or Bellevue.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

As for living in BM your Realtor will be your best guide. For homes over $1M may get your name in paper as buyer. .
there is nothing move in ready for sale lately under $1m in 37205 or 37215. To be a top 10 listing you probably need to be closer to $2m today.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
I drove through Belle Meade with weekend and saw plenty of Biden yard signs. And most of the republicans who do live there are the old money republicans like Romney, not the Trump populists.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:03 PM

Thanks for all your responses. This is helpful. We are probably looking at 1.5 - 2m (i'm hoping for a pool - but not a deal killer).

The Romney types is what i suspected. But wanted to double check.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margs Anyone View Post
Thanks for all your responses. This is helpful. We are probably looking at 1.5 - 2m (i'm hoping for a pool - but not a deal killer).

The Romney types is what i suspected. But wanted to double check.
pools are hard to come by lately. Just know that if you want to add a pool to any house in Belle Meade it is a crazy process as it can't be outside the allowed building envelope and all new pools must go through zoning appeals board. If the house is less than .5 acres it will be hard to build a pool, basically you will need at least 3/4 of an acre to build a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: