Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if Clarksville qualifies as part of the Nashville metro area but I didn't see a Clarksville specific forum and Nashville seems to be the closest big city! So a little background, we currently live in IL, specifically the SW Chicago suburbs and are looking to get out. The taxes, politics and winters have become unbearable. An opening for my husband's position in their Clarksville office opened up and he's currently interviewing. I think there's a good chance he will get it, mostly worried the pay could be a lot lower since cost of living seems to be lower. I've never even been to Clarksville so I have no idea what the city is like. We would be moving with our 3 children who will be a freshman, 5th grader and 2nd grader. Schools are important. Just doing a little research, it seems Rossview or Clarksville High School are the 2 best. Which do you recommend out of the 2? Our budget for a home is $300k and we need a minimum of 4 bedrooms. We'd like a new or nearly new home. Any specific neighborhoods or areas we should search in? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 07:30 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Clarksville is a very nice city located on the Cumberland River only about 40 miles from the very dynamic Nashville. Many consider it a bedroom community, however it has quite a diverse economy of its own.

It's the home of Fr. Campbell which is one of our larger military complexes. It also has huge publishing houses--printing operations. And Austin Peay State University is downtown, and brings culture to the area.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a home in your price range. Many Nashvillians are moving to the area presently.

I cannot address the school issue, as it's been many years since I traveled there for work.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 AM

199 posts, read 180,960 times
If the pay is lower, make sure you pull out a calculator and see what you are saving on not paying an income tax. TN has the 2nd lowest tax burden of any state, while Illinois ranks the 9th highest in SALT.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:48 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I'm not sure if Clarksville qualifies as part of the Nashville metro area but I didn't see a Clarksville specific forum and Nashville seems to be the closest big city! So a little background, we currently live in IL, specifically the SW Chicago suburbs and are looking to get out. The taxes, politics and winters have become unbearable. An opening for my husband's position in their Clarksville office opened up and he's currently interviewing. I think there's a good chance he will get it, mostly worried the pay could be a lot lower since cost of living seems to be lower. I've never even been to Clarksville so I have no idea what the city is like. We would be moving with our 3 children who will be a freshman, 5th grader and 2nd grader. Schools are important. Just doing a little research, it seems Rossview or Clarksville High School are the 2 best. Which do you recommend out of the 2? Our budget for a home is $300k and we need a minimum of 4 bedrooms. We'd like a new or nearly new home. Any specific neighborhoods or areas we should search in? Thanks in advance!
Clarksville has been far enough away not to be included in the MSA but that could change. A lot of Clarksville folks work in Nashville. They learn to deal with the inevitable weather delays. From Chicago I-57 to I-24 will bring you to Clarksville.

For your husband's position maybe they can agree to keep the same salary? Sometimes there will be relo assistance. You probably should have a relo agent to help with the move.

It appears the Rossview schools rate higher than Clarksville while both are good schools.

As for neighborhoods to look you may encounter families with someone at nearby Ft Campbell.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! We are still going through the interview process, he's made it to round 3 which I *think* is the last one. Feeling pretty confident he will get it, but also nervous because we really want this! I just wish they'd hurry things up because school starts there Aug. 31 and I'd like to get out there as close to the beginning of the year as possible and we are down to the wire now! He's feeling good the pay will be the same, apparently they don't have anyone in their Elizabethtown, KY office either and couldn't fill them until recently because they've had a hiring freeze due to covid. (He works in IT.) So they are pretty desperate, he would be manning both offices for the time being so the fact that he already works for the company and doesn't need much training makes him a perfect fit. And yes, hoping for a relocation package. His current boss transferred from their OH office to IL so he was giving him tips on negotiating a relocation package. And yes, I've considered that even with a pay cut this may be worth it because wow, when I look at the taxes in TN compared with IL, it's amazing. Our property taxes are I think, the highest in the nation currently. Property taxes in TN seem to be less than one third what we are paying and with no state income tax...why do I live in IL again? We actually drove out and visited the area last weekend and Rossview or Sango are definitely the areas we liked. It may come down to which area has the perfect house. Seemed like a really nice town. Not too big, not too small, all the shopping and dining you need and a quick shot to Nashville for big city amenities. Lots of beautiful neighborhoods! And Chicago has been a nightmare lately with all the looting so I just want out!!!

Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM

199 posts, read 180,960 times
You are not the only one who wants out! There is a mass exodus out of high tax & high regulation states, especially out of the dense metro areas in those states. As long as people don't bring the policies with them that ruined those states, low tax states like TN will be attractive for decades to come.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
You are not the only one who wants out! There is a mass exodus out of high tax & high regulation states, especially out of the dense metro areas in those states. As long as people don't bring the policies with them that ruined those states, low tax states like TN will be attractive for decades to come.
Lol, don't worry. I'm not going to come to TN and vote for a bunch of high taxing liberals. I don't vote for them here! My vote just doesn't seem to matter here.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
It's a very straight shot from Chicagoland to Clarksville. If you happen to leave family behind, you can be there in about 6.5 hours--just over 400 miles.

I lived in Nashville half my life, and traveled to Clarksville for business all the time. It's a fine community on the Cumberland River. It's also not very far to the Land Between the Lakes and the fabulous Kentucky Lake if you're a lake family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville