Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 07:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

With all of the news around Antioch, I am confused about whether it's a separate city or just a section of Nashville. If it is just a section of Nashville, why does the news keep referring to it as if it's its own city? Any locals want to clue me into what's possibly going on with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 08:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Antioch is a part of Nashville. Nashville - Davidson Co. is a metropolitan government, so it can be a bit confusing. Also, locals from the outlying areas of the county (Old Hickory, Bellevue, Antioch, ect) will generally refer to those areas as separate from the 'city', but they are still under the jurisdiction of the metropolitan government.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:35 AM

592 posts, read 589,447 times
Antioch is essentially a suburban city in Davidson County with population of a little over 80,000. It's still counted as a part of Nashville but It's viewed as its town for mailing purposes.

Last edited by jkc2j; 12-30-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Antioch is essentially a suburban city in Davidson County with population of a little over 80,000. It's still counted as a part of Nashville but It's viewed as its town for mailing purposes.
It's not a separate city though. The only satellite cities in Davidson County are Berry Hill, Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Oak Hill, and a portion of Goodlettsville and Ridgetop. And even then, the residents of those communities still participate in Metro elections and fall under Metro jurisdiction if their satellite city fails to provide that particular service (ie - fire, water, ect)

Old 12-30-2020, 11:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Thanks all. So that I'm clear, when counted in the Census, it's part of Nashville's count?

Old 12-30-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks all. So that I'm clear, when counted in the Census, it's part of Nashville's count?
yes

Old 12-30-2020, 02:29 PM

592 posts, read 589,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
It's not a separate city though. The only satellite cities in Davidson County are Berry Hill, Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Oak Hill, and a portion of Goodlettsville and Ridgetop. And even then, the residents of those communities still participate in Metro elections and fall under Metro jurisdiction if their satellite city fails to provide that particular service (ie - fire, water, ect)
Right, I'm aware it's not a separate city which was stated in my post. It's part of Nashville but it's essentially viewed as a suburban town within Davidson County hence why it's treated as such for mailing purposes, same with Old Hickory, Hermitage, Madison etc. When sending mail to those areas, Nashville is typically not used but the names of the actual towns, possibly remains from pre-consolidation.

Last edited by jkc2j; 12-30-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 05:40 PM

382 posts, read 488,318 times
Mailing addresses only have to do with the post office. Changing that would nearly require an act of Congress. For example, many people live in the city of Hendersonville, but have a Gallatin address.

It actually surprises (and confuses) many people to learn that Donelson, Hermitage, Madison, Bellevue, Joelton, and Antioch are all part of the city. None of them have any form of government or services, outside of a possible neighborhood charter or something of the like.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
With all of the news around Antioch, I am confused about whether it's a separate city or just a section of Nashville. If it is just a section of Nashville, why does the news keep referring to it as if it's its own city? Any locals want to clue me into what's possibly going on with that?
Yes, Antioch is a neighborhood in Davidson county about 10 miles from downtown Nashville. I-24 runs thru it. Antioch has a n ot too good reputation for high crime. The news you hear may be from a local reporter that wants you to know Antioch is a different part of the city of Nashville.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 57,980 times
To address the point above it does have a bad reputation but I’m not sure why considering it is a safer part of town than East Nashville, North Nashville, and South Nashville. I mean there are less crimes in Antioch than the rest of town outside of West Nashville, hermitage, Donelson, etc.

Then consider that about 100,000 residents live there, and the per capita crime rate drops even more significantly. It’s a huge pink elephant, but one has to wonder if the perception of Antioch would be different if it wasn’t an area with lots of racial diversity. My view is that The urban area of Nashville, like most southern cities, is predominantly black. The rest of the county is predominantly white. And the city isn’t used to having Hispanics, middle eastern people, immigrants, etc

Last edited by bayarearelocation; 12-30-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville