Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 08:11 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure this will interest some of you!

Country Music’s Culture Wars and the Remaking of Nashville
Every city changes. But the transformation of Nashville—which began a decade ago, and accelerated exponentially during the pandemic—has stunned the people who love the city most. “None of this existed,” the music critic Ann Powers told me, pointing out swaths of new construction. There had been a brutal flood in 2010, and early in the pandemic a tornado had levelled many buildings, including music institutions like the Basement East. But the construction went far beyond rebuilding; it was a radical redesign, intended to attract a new demographic.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...g-of-nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 11:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Yawn! Another cliche piece , and this one a quite aimless jumble of words, from another NYC leftwing nut tasked to go to the ‘foreign’ land of Nashville because nothing perplexes the clueless libs like America. There’s no actual theme to this rambling piece, but it does confirm once again that the soulless unidimensional media moguls on Madison still don’t understand anything beyond the Hudson. Those of us who’ve lived in Nashville know there have always been talented envelope pushers who made good livings as backup musicians and even lead acts but they’re not booted off Music Row because of some animus toward ‘progressives’ (the music executives have long been liberal/lefties), but simply because their true American audience just doesn’t buy their weirdness. They’ve always been around, and like their forebears, the ‘new’ batch of progs will not be marquee acts either. Then when the pop market rejects them for being ‘too country’ they’ll slink back to Nashville and pretend like they’re sorry they ever mocked America.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:28 PM

194 posts, read 189,750 times
I wish I could see an article someday about Nashville that doesn't contain the word "country."

Old 09-25-2023, 09:48 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
I am not sure what was worse, mentioning Dolly Parton and "culture war" or still using the word "hip". This article reeked of low vibrations and linear thinking.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:42 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
That was a longer read that it needed to be but I'm not surprised given the source.

With TN being a go-to state for escapees from elsewhere we're going to more and more articles by out-state publications of wishful thinking that TN has a chance to change for the better.

Yaaaaawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville