Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Most of Murfreesboro's crime is either on , or in Apartments near the MTSU campus.
I don't believe that. I think we just always hear about those because something happens to a college kid and mommy and daddy freak out.

The largest percentage of crime probably occurs within a few blocks of E. Main Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I don't believe that. I think we just always hear about those because something happens to a college kid and mommy and daddy freak out.

The largest percentage of crime probably occurs within a few blocks of E. Main Street.

Mike - I would like to acknowledge your point too. Well made! Basically, it gets the attention it does because of what it is known for. It is under the microscope much closer. Makes complete sense.

We've got great coverage here. Mike on your end of town, Kim off S. Church, Mary in Blackman, me off St. Andrews, and Diane as our special coorespondent. Way to go guys!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I'm just presenting FBI facts that I've been asked to present before. I get asked many times by clients about crime data for various areas of Middle Tennessee. I'm not stating any opinion about the facts as they speak for themselves and people can come to their own conclusions. Not sure how just presenting actual facts from cited and acceptable sources is unprofessional and offensive behavior.
I also think Murfreesboro is a nice place to live and raise a family. I have no reason to "take away the glory".

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-25-2008 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
I'm just presenting FBI facts that I've been asked to present before. I get asked many times by clients about crime data for various areas of Middle Tennessee. I'm not stating any opinion about the facts as they speak for themselves and people can come to their own conclusions. Not sure how just presenting actual facts from cited and acceptable sources is unprofessional and offensive behavior.
I also think Murfreesboro is a nice place to live and raise a family. I have no reason to "take away the glory".
You presented the facts in an incomplete manner. You did not present the disclaimer; very convenient. Nice try, but no cigar.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
First, if jealousy over being left off of this "list" is really what's driving Brentwood residents to trash M'boro in this thread, maybe they need to learn to read a little more closely. The list only included Tennessee cities with populations of 50,000 and above. Therefore, every Nashville suburb except M'boro and Franklin were excluded.

Second, in terms of sheer size, Murfreesboro is becoming more comparable to Chattanooga and Knoxville than to Brentwood. Overall, M'boro is a very nice city, but any city of a decent size has its undesirable areas where crime takes place. For example, I'm sure most of the Franklin residents here wouldn't want their neighborhoods thought of in the same ilk as the Cadet area.

I think Murfreesboro is well deserving of this honor and everyone I know who is actually raising a family there seems to be extremely happy.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
The more meaningful and intended comparison was to the National rates. Brentwood was included only because it was on the comparison table from which I accessed the data.
I like Murfreesboro and have no need nor desire to "put it down". I recommend it to many clients of mine and will continue to.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

I think Murfreesboro is well deserving of this honor and everyone I know who is actually raising a family there seems to be extremely happy.
After visiting a LOT of TN cities, Murfreesboro is number 1 on our list. Still areas around Eastern TN to check out, but so far Murfreesboro gets the nod.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
People, people, people.
I have read through this thread and there seems to be some anger because some are questioning the results of the study. All of this is OK!. It is great that some of you love where you live, that is wonderful, but please remember, not one place is right for everyone. It is also ok to question the results of an article and discuss the data used to compile an article. No one is saying it is wrong, just adding information and opinions about it. This is a big country and a big state, everyone can not fit into one place anyway. hahahahaha
This forum is for opinions of areas, cities and towns. Everyone has a right to post their opinion. To attack another because their opinion differs from yours or the article is just not right. Let's please remember to be considerate of others opinions. It's all good.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I wanted to echo what mbmouse said. My DM inbox is getting fuller by the minute about this thread. I know that many of you are passionate but please remember to debate the topic but not each other. Obviously, this is a big country and there are a lot of great places to raise kids and not so great places. I am not real big on surveys as there is no way to adequately gauge all of the particulars about a place or a situation.

Also, to those that would like the thread closed. We will close it if the OP asks for it to be closed or only if it gets totally out of hand. So far neither has happened so it remains open.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
A couple of you have wanted to post apologies or explanations for your posts in this thread. Posts are to remain on topic and discuss the Original Post. If you want to apologize or explain yourself then do so via DM.

It would probably be helpful to review the TOS again regarding on topic posting and moderation. The link can be found in my signature line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville