Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

too much competition between counties in Tennessee, seeking thoughts and opinions on lack of unity, state not pulling together, unhealthy competition

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times

Advertisements

What is the reason for all the competition between counties in the Nashville area anyway? I don't get it. When I lived in NJ, as much as I loathed it there, we always pulled together as a state, regardless of what counties we lived in. Here in Middle Tennessee, the competition between counties, as to who is better, is fierce and one of the very few things I dislike about TN. Any thoughts, opinions, etc....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,366 times
I don't understand it, either. I'm also from somewhere else -- moved here about twenty years ago -- and haven't seen anything like this before. We'd identify other communities by attitudes -- snobby, hickish, friendly -- but never thought one was "better" than another. We figured people settled where they were happiest, and that different people liked different things. I never remember anyone saying, "Ewww, I'd never live there" as if they were working from some objective standard. That's why I'm puzzled by a lot of the comments here, and get defensive sometimes.

Thanks for asking this question. I hope someone can enlighten us

Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 PM

187 posts, read 623,687 times
I think it comes from Williamson County and how they have put all other areas down in order to promote their own. It was very evident when I was at Vandy and Franklin was shoved down all new faculty's throats as the end all to end all. If you want your kids to get a good education and you want to feel safe...it has to be there or nowhere. This in turn has caused other counties to fight for their piece of the newcomer pie. Each county is very unique and wonderful in its own way and each county is not for everyone. I personally wouldn't live anywhere other than Green Hills simply because I hate to drive and I am one mile from everything including my work. If I had to..I could walk there and for sure take the bus. Oh well...I agree Steve...lived here my entire life and have never seen the competition as bad as it has been in the past 6-8 years.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

63 posts, read 280,650 times
The increase in competitiveness probably comes from all the attention the state has received from businesses as of late (which is not surprising since TN happens to be good for business). Personally I don't care about the inter-county competition since any new business coming to TN -- be it to Davidson, Williamson, or any other county -- means a win for everyone who lives here.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
I think it comes from Williamson County and how they have put all other areas down in order to promote their own. It was very evident when I was at Vandy and Franklin was shoved down all new faculty's throats as the end all to end all. If you want your kids to get a good education and you want to feel safe...it has to be there or nowhere. This in turn has caused other counties to fight for their piece of the newcomer pie. Each county is very unique and wonderful in its own way and each county is not for everyone. I personally wouldn't live anywhere other than Green Hills simply because I hate to drive and I am one mile from everything including my work. If I had to..I could walk there and for sure take the bus. Oh well...I agree Steve...lived here my entire life and have never seen the competition as bad as it has been in the past 6-8 years.
Gabby, Your right. I've heard people from Williamson say to me, Oh you live in Nashville? I live 1/4 of a mile from the Williamson County line off Edmonson and Holt The house I bought would have been over $100,000 more in Brentwood. I also don't pay their insane water bills, mine are cheap. I think Electric is as well. I'm not a snob and I bought this dream house for less than I sold my previous house for. Now Williamson county homes are going lower because they were overpriced to begin with.

Diane G

Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,947 times
I'm very new to this area so I don't know "the rules". I moved here because my job asked me to live in the nashville area.

This thread is interesting to me because my husband and I comment on it all the time. "Oh, you live in Franklin? That's where the snobs live." Oh really? In my short time here I've only had one experience with people that I would call bonafide snobs and they weren't from Franklin at all. So far, we really like Franklin. That's not to say we wouldn't like other areas too...but we had to pick something!

Anyway...I just thought i was moving to "the nashville area"...I didn't know we'd be pigeonholed for picking a community that was most convenient and aesthetically pleasing to us. Heck, I was just glad to get out of the filth, crime and corruption of Memphis!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,635,590 times
Isn't it funny how, often the only ones using the word "snob" aren't from Franklin? What I'm saying is, I think it's a myth. I wasn't told Franklin was the hot place to buy. I just liked the square and schools so much that it became our first choice.

I'm sure there are shallow, label-conscious folks everywhere, but if you spent a day with my Franklin friends and me, you'd agree we're as down-to-earth as anyone else. We shop for bargains, clip coupons, hand down our kids' clothes, etc.

Now Belle Meade.... (Before I get angry responses, that was a joke!!)

Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,369,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Isn't it funny how, often the only ones using the word "snob" aren't from Franklin? What I'm saying is, I think it's a myth. I wasn't told Franklin was the hot place to buy. I just liked the square and schools so much that it became our first choice.

I'm sure there are shallow, label-conscious folks everywhere, but if you spent a day with my Franklin friends and me, you'd agree we're as down-to-earth as anyone else. We shop for bargains, clip coupons, hand down our kids' clothes, etc.

Now Belle Meade.... (Before I get angry responses, that was a joke!!)
I don't find Franklin snoby. I have friends there so I'm there a lot. I find Brentwood more snoby, and that is where most of the foreclosures are.
I was told the oposite by an interium minister we had in NJ. She had a congration in Franklin before being transfered.She was from TN.

Diane G

Old 11-28-2008, 05:10 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I don't find Franklin snoby. I have friends there so I'm there a lot. I find Brentwood more snoby, and that is where most of the foreclosures are.
I was told the oposite by an interium minister we had in NJ. She had a congration in Franklin before being transfered.She was from TN.

Diane G
Speaking just to your foreclosure statement, there are currently eleven houses in foreclosure in Brentwood and thirty-two houses in foreclosure in Franklin. (Source: Foreclosure.com - Home Foreclosures, Pre-Foreclosures, Bank Foreclosures)

Old 11-28-2008, 06:59 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,635,590 times
Such a difficult time for so many. Those poor families. My kids have told us about quite a few of their friends whose parents have lost their jobs. I hate that kids have to worry about stability and their family's well-being, especially during the holidays.

Some have certainly created their own mess, but that doesn't spare the kids. They're the ones I think about. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville