Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anyone can be "discouraged" about the fact that others prefer not to spend what they hope to be a fun, relaxing evening out surrounded by other people's whiny kids. If you have a kid that can handle himself in public then by all means bring him along, but be prepared to take him outside if he starts getting "fussy." The fact that the OP knows from the get-go that her baby is probably going to be "fussy" in my opinion means that the kid has no business darkening the door of a restaurant.

"Shut up you little pot licker or I'll stick you in the microwave!" - Ricky Bobby's dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
I find obnoxious adults -- talking too loud, explosively laughing, cussing -- to be far more annoying than a crying baby. Had to deal with a tableful next to us just the other night.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
As offensive as Pimpy may be, he has a point. I have 2 kids and we started taking them out to restaurants when our first was just a month old. We received lots of compliments on their dining behaviour, but we were also very quick to take them outside if they got fussy or acted up. We never had much patience with parents that let their kids yell, scream, cry or run around unattended. In fact, I broke a friendship with another Mom because when our 2 families went out to eat one Friday night at a local Chili's, they let their then 3 year old kid climb over the seat and run up and down the aisles. Rude, rude rude!

Our little darlings are now 8 and 5 and we still won't bring them to nicer establishments. Our rule of thumb is if the restaurant has crayons and high chairs, then they are advertising themselves as 'family friendly.' Most chains; Chili's, Logans, Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Shoney's etc. are fine. Ruth's Chris, Mortons and The Palm are not.

mad fiddler,
I agree. And, I'll take a fussy baby over a loudmouth on a cell phone any day of the week and twice on Friday!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
There's a Cracker Barrel at every interstate exit. The din is so loud, no one would hear the baby or care that s/he's fussing.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

57 posts, read 285,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
As offensive as Pimpy may be, he has a point. I have 2 kids and we started taking them out to restaurants when our first was just a month old. We received lots of compliments on their dining behaviour, but we were also very quick to take them outside if they got fussy or acted up. We never had much patience with parents that let their kids yell, scream, cry or run around unattended. In fact, I broke a friendship with another Mom because when our 2 families went out to eat one Friday night at a local Chili's, they let their then 3 year old kid climb over the seat and run up and down the aisles. Rude, rude rude!

Our little darlings are now 8 and 5 and we still won't bring them to nicer establishments. Our rule of thumb is if the restaurant has crayons and high chairs, then they are advertising themselves as 'family friendly.' Most chains; Chili's, Logans, Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Shoney's etc. are fine. Ruth's Chris, Mortons and The Palm are not.

mad fiddler,
I agree. And, I'll take a fussy baby over a loudmouth on a cell phone any day of the week and twice on Friday!
I am in complete agreement with the above. We have 4 kids ages 6, 4, 2, and 1. While they are used to eating out and typically behave themselves (and we are consistently complimented about it, just like the above poster), we do respect the other diners' need to have a peaceful meal. So as a courtesy we:
  • go to a "family-friendly" place-- coloring books/crayons are usually available and are very much welcomed by my kids, and keeps them occupied. Definitely no "fine dining" unless the kids stay at home.
  • Eat earlier. We eat at 5:30 PM, sometimes earlier. That way we avoid intruding into the daters and sweethearts who usually arrive later. We are done by 6:30.
  • Kids doing drama are taken out immediately. If drama persists, we leave, and take the food to go.
Follow these pointers and breeders can coexist with feeders at the eatery. My 2 cents....

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM

140 posts, read 619,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post

mad fiddler,
Ruth's Chris has crayons and high chairs. (At least here in Boston, but since it's a chain I imagine they're all the same.)

What I thought "disappointing" was how many people seemed to think a fussy baby is that disruptive to their meal. I mean, sure, if the parents just sit there and let it scream, then I agree. But since the OP is obviously worried about upsetting other people, I doubt she's the type of parent who would do that.

I don't find a parent working to soothe a fussy baby especially annoying at all, really, even if the process involves a little crying. It's certainly not as annoying as someone jawing away on a cell phone. That's what babies do; they can't help it. (And generally, neither can their parents, who almost certainly wish the baby would stop fussing even more than you do.)

The belief that families with young children are basically walking disruptions anywhere they go in public (other than playgrounds and other "family" places) is prevalent here in Boston, a city largely composed of childless young professionals with little familiarity with or tolerance for small kids.* And it's something I was hoping to get away from in moving to Nashville, where'd I'd heard there was generally a more welcoming "kids will be kids" attidude. Hence, disappointing.

*I'm obviously painting with a very broad brush here, and stereotyping, and of course there are plenty of exceptions, blah blah blah.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM

140 posts, read 619,112 times
"Discouraging", not "disappointing." Whatever.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM

79 posts, read 233,906 times
When I posed the question, I did not mean that I wanted to find a restaurant where we could let our child cry with abandon. We rarely take her to restaurants (this would be her third time in seven months) and, if she does get fussy, one of us goes outside with her.

We have a relative coming into town this weekend and, as our house is under extensive renovation, we can't offer them dinner at home. I was hoping that someone might suggest a place that catered more to families where people wouldn't be upset about a baby that might cry (before we took her outside, of course).

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
If you are the type of responsible parent that takes their kid outside the minute it starts crying, I don't see why you wouldn't be welcome at any restaurant. I think most anyone can handle five seconds of a baby or toddler crying as it's being herded to the door. It's the parents that let their kids scream uncontrollably, climb all over chairs, and generally behave like brats through an entire meal that drive other restaurant goers insane.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM

35 posts, read 113,943 times
i agree with pimpy. its the kids that act wild and their parents sit there as if nothing is wrong. if the parent takes care of the situation then it shouldnt be an issue. its the parents that sit there calmly while in the mean time their child is acting like a wild banshee. my dad would take us out and blister our bottoms if we acted like some of the kids ive seen out! AND! it worked!

so, saying all that otherrrrr junk. i think you should be fine anywhere you go as long as you have a little respect for the folks around you, as im sure you do or you wouldnt have asked the question to start with.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville