Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 AM

35 posts, read 245,096 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are relocating to Clarksville, and we are thinking about buying a house in the next six months or so. I've been browsing real estate websites and google streetview for the past month, and these are some neighborhoods we're interested in based on the architectural styles and proximity to the university (where we'll both probably be working, though I may work at a firm downtown). I have a few questions about them.

We are looking for (1) a historic area or close to it, because we hate all housing styles popular after the Korean War; (2) a neighborhood that is improving - i.e. it doesn't matter if it's not great, as long as it's getting better; and (3) an area close to Austin Peay.

GREENWOOD AVENUE (near the train tracks, and area immediately east) - this area has the most attractive houses by far, but it seems to be rather "checkerboard," if you know what I mean; and there seem to be a lot of voodoo ladies and the houses don't seem to be selling quickly. How's this neighborhood doing? Is it moving up or moving down? Does it have a crime problem?

HICKORY HEIGHTS - I love the cottage-style houses and mature trees, but... it seems like people aren't taking care of their yards, which is never a good sign. But it also seems like the yards are BIG, which is good. So how is it doing? Is it getting better or worse?

IMMEDIATE NORTH, EAST, AND WEST OF AUSTIN PEAY, BETWEEN KRAFT ST., COLLEGE ST., AND 2ND ST. - It seems like these houses turn over very quickly, because the (very few) houses I've seen for sale in this area are only advertised for a few days. This is a very attractive area but it looks like students are renting a lot of houses here. And very few homes go up for sale - what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM

204 posts, read 876,695 times
Arrowette, hopefully I can assist in answering some of your questions below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowette View Post
My spouse and I are relocating to Clarksville, and we are thinking about buying a house in the next six months or so. I've been browsing real estate websites and google streetview for the past month, and these are some neighborhoods we're interested in based on the architectural styles and proximity to the university (where we'll both probably be working, though I may work at a firm downtown). I have a few questions about them.

We are looking for (1) a historic area or close to it, because we hate all housing styles popular after the Korean War; (2) a neighborhood that is improving - i.e. it doesn't matter if it's not great, as long as it's getting better; and (3) an area close to Austin Peay.

GREENWOOD AVENUE (near the train tracks, and area immediately east) - this area has the most attractive houses by far, but it seems to be rather "checkerboard," if you know what I mean; and there seem to be a lot of voodoo ladies and the houses don't seem to be selling quickly. How's this neighborhood doing? Is it moving up or moving down? Does it have a crime problem? Arrowette, this area is making a comeback as is alot of the downtown areas (or in close proximity) We just sold a home not far from there to a young couple exiting the Military and starting school at APSU. In regards to crime, I would refer you to the CPD

HICKORY HEIGHTS - I love the cottage-style houses and mature trees, but... it seems like people aren't taking care of their yards, which is never a good sign. But it also seems like the yards are BIG, which is good. So how is it doing? Is it getting better or worse? Many of the folks in this area have been there for years. As with alot of the older areas in town, there is not much turnover.

IMMEDIATE NORTH, EAST, AND WEST OF AUSTIN PEAY, BETWEEN KRAFT ST., COLLEGE ST., AND 2ND ST. - It seems like these houses turn over very quickly, because the (very few) houses I've seen for sale in this area are only advertised for a few days. This is a very attractive area but it looks like students are renting a lot of houses here. And very few homes go up for sale - what's up with that? Many investment properties in this area, but also residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville