Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 08:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times

Advertisements

I like mockingbirds. They are few in number here and don’t stay long. I heard some several times in the last week. Even though they imitate many birds, they have a typical pattern of repetition that gives them away, and the ones I’ve heard always include a particular call no matter which part of the country I hear it in. Maybe that call is their own mockingbird sound, orbmaybe it is that of a ubiquitous common bird. I need to study this further.

In the San Diego area, the mockingbirds would sing as well as periodically hop up and down on a treetop as if to show their presence. I have not seen them do that here, but maybe the transient ones don’t do that.

We’ve been seeing a few bats bugzapping on some evenings, something that was noticeably missing last year (the bats, definitely NOT the bugs).

Collared lizards recently began showing themselves, as the smaller brownish ones had already done.

Hawks galore, but the ravens have become more discreet—nesting time? Same for the vultures. They are both still around, just not in such numbers together.

Lots and lots of two personal favorites, the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and the Violet-green Swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 05:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
Hi there Diana,
That is an awesome eagle picture.
I showed it to my wife and she was floored.
Is there any chance that that pic could be enlarged to hang on a wall or would the pixels ruin a large print of it?

We have the perfect spot for it.
It would go next to the area where we see eagles regularly and would work quite well.
Eagle on the wall eagle in the tree kinda thing.
I would be more than happy to pay you what ever you want for it.
Heck you could even sign it.

All the best.
Andy

Old 05-07-2020, 07:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I like mockingbirds. They are few in number here and don’t stay long. I heard some several times in the last week. Even though they imitate many birds, they have a typical pattern of repetition that gives them away, and the ones I’ve heard always include a particular call no matter which part of the country I hear it in. Maybe that call is their own mockingbird sound, orbmaybe it is that of a ubiquitous common bird. I need to study this further.

In the San Diego area, the mockingbirds would sing as well as periodically hop up and down on a treetop as if to show their presence. I have not seen them do that here, but maybe the transient ones don’t do that.

We’ve been seeing a few bats bugzapping on some evenings, something that was noticeably missing last year (the bats, definitely NOT the bugs).

Collared lizards recently began showing themselves, as the smaller brownish ones had already done.

Hawks galore, but the ravens have become more discreet—nesting time? Same for the vultures. They are both still around, just not in such numbers together.

Lots and lots of two personal favorites, the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and the Violet-green Swallow.
You *like* mockingbirds making that GD racket at 1:30am right outside your window??

I'll send them your way.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
You *like* mockingbirds making that GD racket at 1:30am right outside your window??

I'll send them your way.
The few migrants through here don’t hang out near our home. They have hundreds of house-free acres nearby to be.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The few migrants through here don’t hang out near our home. They have hundreds of house-free acres nearby to be.
Consider yourself lucky, then.

I used an app on my phone to measure how loud the mockingbird was; 82dB which is close to how loud heavy traffic is!

Old 05-07-2020, 11:06 AM

4,190 posts, read 3,405,823 times
We have a pair of cowbirds in the yard today!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Consider yourself lucky, then.

I used an app on my phone to measure how loud the mockingbird was; 82dB which is close to how loud heavy traffic is!
I can see how they might get irksome. When I was birding in a group in southern CA, a mockingbird kept showing off both his repertoire and his hop-up prowess from the top of a tree. It continued as we tried to distinguish other bird calls nearby, to the point that someone muttered, “Just shut UP!”

This morning, I heard one less than a mile from home. He sang many songs for a long time, as I tried in vain to see him. Finally, he flew farther away and I confirmed the obvious. Among other renditions, he imitated Pinyon Jay and Gray Catbird (LOL, imitating another imitator) quite well.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
I have this odd shrub bush thing right outside my bedroom window.
It kinda looks ugly.
Probably has never been trimmed.
No flowers or anything nice like that but it gets visited but humming birds all day long, from before the sun rises to sunset.
I wake up to humming birds that I see from my bed.
I am so glad I didn’t get rid of it.
Gimme a bit and I’ll post a pic.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Yesterday, I heard what I thought to be multiple birds singing. Nope. It was a mockingbird, singing EVERY song. Even a gull, once or twice. Eventually, a cardinal and a blue jay came to investigate.

He's back today.

Where I work, we had a mockingbird that would hang out in the trees on the building property. It'd just sing and sing and sing. I loved it. :-)

Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I wake up to humming birds that I see from my bed.
I am so glad I didn’t get rid of it.
Sounds nice. Our hummers quite often hang out in some scruffy old cedars near our porch, eating the small bugs on the cedar branches, so maybe that's what's going on in your shrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Where I work, we had a mockingbird that would hang out in the trees on the building property. It'd just sing and sing and sing. I loved it. :-)
There was a mockingbird near the office where I worked, right in the center of a large town. Every morning, in season, he sang me from the parking lot into the office. It was lovely.

Mockingbirds where we are do not sing in the night time... I've never experienced that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature