Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 08:57 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times

Advertisements

Out just after daybreak with the dog. Everything is still. A heavy coastal fog rolled in during the night obscuring just about everything. Early morning is best when things are quiet and daily life isn’t in high gear yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
This bear has lived here for at least five years and was at least two or three when we first saw him. This is part of my backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqMom0aAyI

Old 09-24-2020, 03:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
still a few hummingbirds in DFW area. Just moved to this really beautiful home a month ago and still struggling to get birds to my seed feeders. Yesterday I had a bunch, today none.

Was it something I said?

Maybe in the winter they will be desperate and visit me.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:29 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Out just after daybreak with the dog. Everything is still. A heavy coastal fog rolled in during the night obscuring just about everything. Early morning is best when things are quiet and daily life isn’t in high gear yet.

I'm guessing living in what is arguably the best climate in the US doesn't hurt either?

Old 09-24-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
still a few hummingbirds in DFW area. Just moved to this really beautiful home a month ago and still struggling to get birds to my seed feeders. Yesterday I had a bunch, today none.

Was it something I said?

Maybe in the winter they will be desperate and visit me.

I've noticed at times I may not see them often but the level of the 'nectar' does go down and nothing's leaking. Saw 2 today chasing each other around, territorial little buggers.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
This bear has lived here for at least five years and was at least two or three when we first saw him. This is part of my backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqMom0aAyI

I used to think deer were the scariest thing seen from a motorcycle until years ago coming downhill into a NJ town near the Delaware Water Gap a big old bear came ambling across the road. That and we used to ride thru a no-kill fly fish only area that had a really rough dirt road that on a street bike was pretty much 1st gear only, it dawned on me if a bear popped up it'd be a challenge outrunning it.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I lived in Seattle some years back and was surprised by the dearth of flying insects in that area. They didn't even bother with window screens! You couln't get away with that in my neck of the woods.
I grew up near the NJ meadowlands and we had the strategic bomber version of mosquitos. Now in coastal NC, although screens are probably a good idea, I don't think I've had more than 1 or 2 mosquito bites in 11 years. Have had an alligator in the driveway a watched a hawk down a mocking bird in the backyard though.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:02 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
I love going to state parks and walking on the nature trails. Observe the trees, wildlife, etc.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:25 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I used to think deer were the scariest thing seen from a motorcycle until years ago coming downhill into a NJ town near the Delaware Water Gap a big old bear came ambling across the road. That and we used to ride thru a no-kill fly fish only area that had a really rough dirt road that on a street bike was pretty much 1st gear only, it dawned on me if a bear popped up it'd be a challenge outrunning it.
That's when you stand your ground, make yourself look as big as possible, and hope it's a bluff charge.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:04 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,054 times
We recently returned from a visit to the Cobscook Bay area in Washington County Maine. We were lucky enough to observe a bald eagle, a bevy of bobwhite quails, lots of northern flickers, black eyed junkos, big fat robins, of course white tailed deer and... a moose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature