Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 09:01 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times

Advertisements

Walking to the PO just now, dead squirrel on the street outside the house. Just saw a vulture headed to get him. The circle of life. yum yum.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM

860 posts, read 700,329 times
My campus had three visits from a fox. First it just came and walked around. A week later, it caught a rabbit and started to eat it. A few days after that, it came back to eat even more of the rabbit kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 11:10 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Walking to the PO just now, dead squirrel on the street outside the house. Just saw a vulture headed to get him. The circle of life. yum yum.
Good that the squirrel ended life in the autumn, before the hardship of winter.. instead of in the spring when all kinds of great adventures were awaiting her. Or in the summer when she may be raising young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
My campus had three visits from a fox. First it just came and walked around. A week later, it caught a rabbit and started to eat it. A few days after that, it came back to eat even more of the rabbit kill.
Yeah, I've read that the fox can readily adapt to urban living and scavenging if they need to. Interesting that your fox didn't just haul what was left of the rabbit away, rather than come back to get it. He took a chance that it would be gone when he came back hungry the second time.

I saw a praying mantis the other day, wish I had my phone with me to take a pic.. It was about 6 inches long, heading into the middle of the road. I talked her out of it and sent her back into the field. It is an odd thing, I've lived here for about 40 years and have seen probably three praying mantises that whole time. All three times I have seen them in almost the exact same location.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
A praying mantis. That's something I've never seen it's its habitat. Must have been exciting.

Yesterday nine male red-winged blackbirds came for lunch. They were strutting their stuff with both the yellow and red stripes on their wings fully displayed. Beautiful.

I started to wonder about females of the species and learned something startling - they bear no resemblance to their partners. I'll have to look for them. I'm sure I could have mistaken them for sparrows.

https://www.parkbugle.org/everything...inged-blackbir

It seems when I was a kid we used to have a prediction about the coming winter based on the color on the males' wings. But I can't find anything online. Maybe I'll try "Farmer's Almanac." They have lots of old folksy things like that.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:20 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
On the other side of that life cycle, this chubby butt was oblivious to me brushing one of my horses, under the overhang, one morning this past week, lollol.

He may be the same squirrel who comes to the sliding glass doors and peers in, at the dogs going nuts because he’s less than three feet away - on - the - other - side - of - the - glass, lollol

Click image for larger version

Name:	A38F3804-4A7C-419F-B549-FDE9EA141A19.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	224528

Click image for larger version

Name:	54354668-DD87-414B-BCB2-F6C81212E34C.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	623.6 KB
ID:	224529

Old 10-18-2020, 12:30 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It seems when I was a kid we used to have a prediction about the coming winter based on the color on the males' wings. But I can't find anything online. Maybe I'll try "Farmer's Almanac." They have lots of old folksy things like that.

Well, I love a challenge so your post caused me to scour the web looking for something about Red Winged Blackbird colors being predictive of coming winter and came up empty handed.. Although I did learn that their late winter/early spring arrival is a better predictor of the end of winter than a groundhog..

I remember being told that an abundance of acorns was predictive of a cold winter.

There have been flocks of migrating birds in our yard off and on for the last couple of weeks. Most frequently robins having an absolute heyday, flipping leaves and pulling up nice big fat juicy worms. And of course the flying "V" pattern of geese way up high, sometimes audible but barely visible.

The bats are still spending their days sleeping in our louvers.. soon they will be off to hibernate. Coyote scat in the yard this morning, so they pass through, although we don't see or hear them. And our barred owl -Stella Luna by name ;-)- can be heard nearby most every evening, calling back and forth to her friend. Although now that she is more mature, she has the good sense to keep a low profile.

Today, on my window screen I saw what we call a stick bug. Fragile little thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_walkingstick

Old 10-24-2020, 12:45 PM

7,458 posts, read 4,695,683 times
My observation is they like grazing in my yard.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
I am so thrilled by what I just saw in my yard - a big 'ol possum. That's the first one I've seen at this new home. I had a huge one i called "The Land Cruiser" at my old house but I hadn't seen any so far here. I was feeding the stray cats and the kitten kept looking back at the driveway where the vehicles are. I noticed a shape and thought it was the tomcat I also feed until I saw there was a long scaly tail behind the critter. Then it went under my van and scooched up into the yard and right up onto the steps. I actually opened the door partially and watched it eat, which didn't seem to bother the possum at all. I did have to put some Fancy Feast on top of the rest of the cat food to tempt the cats back again. I guess they didn't like the taste of possum spit on their food. I guess I'll have to start leaving kibble out now because possums love kitty kibble in my experience. The stray cats are too spoiled by the canned food at the point.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
We had some company
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-30b7c4d8-95d5-49c6-bfa4-47022103079f.jpeg  

Old 10-25-2020, 06:09 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
Kinda cute but I don’t want these around
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-727ccba9-b5e1-4b51-8475-e39156b86c94.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature