Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2022, 10:20 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times

Advertisements

We've been hearing hawks, but not seeing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 05:36 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I saw a hawk couple sitting way high up in a tree. I am not good at identifying different types of hawks. They would fly off the tree and soar in circles, making noises that sounded remarkably like a seagull. :O In fact, when I went outside, I was thinking, "How did a seagull get this far off track?". It was very cool to see them soaring like that. I guess we'll have baby hawks one of these days.
The seagull-sounding hawks are most likely the Redshouldered Hawk. We've got them, too.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:40 AM

613 posts, read 1,018,158 times
I have bees collecting nectar from the flowers sprouting from the weeds in my lawn. So I cut my grass - first of the season. THIS IS NOT A CHEAP ATTEMPT TO TALK ABOUT GRASS IN THE FAUNA FORUM - NO! Anyway, has anybody successfully used those mason/solitary bee houses? I have one out there but I guess the holes are too short.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:25 PM

560 posts, read 849,557 times
Saw our resident elk, Bruiser, yesterday.

I live on Whidbey Island, Washington State, USA and we don't have elk on the island. However, about eight years ago one showed up. Fish & Wildlife figures he swam over from Camano Island, and he's been here ever since. No talk of tranquilizing and relocating him - they figure it would be too hard on him because of his age. He's quite a large guy - Rocky Mountain elk, not Roosevelt.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
The first four vultures of the year showed up yesterday, wheeling above the closest town. We saw more of them there today. Soon we expect them out in the wilder areas, including at our property.

Vultures = Spring is really here!

Old 03-22-2022, 08:44 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
A woodpecker has moved to the area. It's been unseasonably warm and the bats and bumble bees are out now and and then. First dandelion of the year a few days ago.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:37 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
There's a racoon in my backyard right now that really looks bad off. When it walks it's leaning all off to one side, is bending its head over to that one side and is falling down on that side all the time, in general having a hard time walking. It looks like it's maybe had a stroke, or something. Can't tell if it's a physical injury, but I don't see anything obvious.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I saw a hawk couple sitting way high up in a tree. I am not good at identifying different types of hawks. They would fly off the tree and soar in circles, making noises that sounded remarkably like a seagull. :O In fact, when I went outside, I was thinking, "How did a seagull get this far off track?". It was very cool to see them soaring like that. I guess we'll have baby hawks one of these days.
I know the hawk call you're talking about. Red tails are the ones I've heard do this the most but I've heard it from others as well. Coopers and Rough Legs. It's an alarm call. They do it when something comes in to their territory that's ...noteworthy.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
There's a racoon in my backyard right now that really looks bad off. When it walks it's leaning all off to one side, is bending its head over to that one side and is falling down on that side all the time, in general having a hard time walking. It looks like it's maybe had a stroke, or something. Can't tell if it's a physical injury, but I don't see anything obvious.
Distemper? Ear infection gone crazy?

RABIES? Call your wildlife agency and describe this behavior to them ASAP.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:39 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Distemper? Ear infection gone crazy?

RABIES? Call your wildlife agency and describe this behavior to them ASAP.
Yeah, I couldn't tell. If it's still there tomorrow I'll call somebody, but I think it's gone. My backyard is entirely fenced in so I don't know how it got in there, it sure didn't look like it was in any condition to jump up over the fence. It might have squeezed through one of the broken parts of the fence along my back-door neighbor's yard.

Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature