Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times

Advertisements

I was gardening for 2 hours and heard some commotion near me on the fence.There was a black squirrel that had been observing me for a while making funny chattering noises.I was standing next to the Maple tree a bit hidden under the leaves, but it kept watching me and we made eye contact.It was debating to jump from the fence to the Maple tree branches.It looked me one more time in the eyes and took a leap,sliding down the branch, but managed to pull himself up and climbed upwards in the tree.There he looked down at me,making funny chatter as if he meant to tell me "next time old lady don't be in my way".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

....... Does anybody know of a good telescope that can take pictures?
Thanks.
Andy

I googled that. There are so many different kinds of devices it was confusing enough to make my head spin. There's telescopes with cameras and there's cameras with telescopes and all kinds of odd things in between with many different attachments and functions.

I'm thinking that if you were to ask your question in the photography forum you would get some helpful advice about what devices would be best for your needs and within your budget. There are some very knowledgeable and talented photographers there who are savvy about photographic equipment. http://www.city-data.com/forum/photography/

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Hi there Maine Writer.
I’ve never heard of a nighthawk so I google them.
Wow.
Just wow.
You are blessed to have them.
I work in San Francisco.
We get to see Peragrine falcons on the side of the PG&E building.
They actually have a couple of notched out a sections of the building to give them a habitat.
If you google SF PG&E falcons you can see the webcam.
Thanks for posting.
I appreciate it.
Andy
Hang onto your jaw, Andy. I don't want you to get hurt when it drops. My sister and brother-in-law are falconers. He received the first peregrine permit issued in Maine in recent memory. He trapped a female peregrine, hunted with her for a year, and released her in late April. She was never anything but wild, and she could have flown away any time her jesses were off, but she returned to him after every single hunt. The day he let her go he took her back to the place where he trapped her. He removed her hood and jesses, and she flew away. She didn't look back. She has her hunting skills and the ability to take care of herself. They are incredible birds.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Peregrines are awesome. lucky you. I believe they are the fastest birds, achieving great speed when flying through the air for prey.

Prairie Falcons ain't slouches either. We have Perigrines here but the Prairie's are a lot more common. I only came across a Perigrine here once. Perigrine's have been recorded at 75+ mph in dives. LOL that's hauling bannanas.

The poster you were responding to here describes a rather shrewd program a few cities have undertaken with the Perigrine critters. It went into effect quite a spell back in the 80s. It's been found that the falcons thrive in a city environment with lots of high nesting and plenty of prey. Pigeons. Critters that truly need to have a predator working them.

There were a few rather pathetic protests about introducing the falcons because a few city types had problems with seeing a falcon pick off a pigeon outside their office window. But it just went away in the end as an endangered species was being saved and pigeons are a pest. I think it would be massive cool to see falcons hunting like that.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Insects are vanishing, especially flying insects. Even house flies and japanese beetles disappeared. Birds are starving at the time when they should thrive, first hand witnessed bird infanticide, parents toss out all but one hatchling and in a few days it's dead anyway. Central Central Ohio. I see extremely fast extinction of all kinds of insects. Silent spring/summer. Apocalyptic feeling.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I have been in love with birds since I can remember.
My older brother and I were were in awe of birds of prey since before we were teenagers.
I once climbed a pole near 30 feet to catch a trained Cooper’s hawk when I was 10 years old.
It bit an scratched the heck out of me.
When I finally set foot on ground it’s owner said thanks for getting my bird.
Damn it I thought it was mine.
****!!!!

So I currently have a bunch of chickens and a jumbo Green Wing Macaw.
Big ass red Macaw.
In full bloom she is just shy of 48 inches.
Her tail feathers are an easy 24/30 inches
I’ve had my Macaw for 20 years .
Since we had to spoon feed her.
We would like to put her in a better situation when we retire.
Andy.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:39 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Little jumper is very small and not too intimidating. I imagine if I took a look through a magnifying glass I wouldn't thing she was so cute!

Amazing. That must have been amusing.

I do understand the concept of creatures belonging to a house. A friend who worked for a mission her entire working life told me when she got to her spot in the jungle of Northern Thailand the villagers had built her a house on stilts. But when she got settled she discovered that a largish lizard was living with her.

She asked someone where she could relocate it and they told her that no, that was her house lizard to take care of pests!

And when I winter in Mexico I often have geckos where I stay. I've learned that they are welcome and encouraged because of mosquitoes and ants. I don't like it when they crawl upside down on the ceiling, though. Always think one might come unstuck and drop on me while I'm sleeping. Think that would be a unexpected awakening. LOL

We folks in the northern states tend to frown on small wild creatures in the house.

Those little jumping spiders aren't so cute when they happen to jump on your face while you're sleeping. Thats an awakening.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Last night I was outside kind of late with my dog, letting him do his thing. I was standing outside in the dark, no outside lights, so that I wouldn't wake up anyone else in the house.

So I'm standing on my back patio, and a possum walks up to the patio toward me, just poking around...checking this out, checking that out, completely unaware of me or the dog. It started to walk closer to me, and I said "I see you little fella".

Well, that got his/her? attention and it decided to skidaddle off into the bushes. LOL

Old 06-14-2019, 10:41 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Last night I was outside kind of late with my dog, letting him do his thing. I was standing outside in the dark, no outside lights, so that I wouldn't wake up anyone else in the house.

So I'm standing on my back patio, and a possum walks up to the patio toward me, just poking around...checking this out, checking that out, completely unaware of me or the dog. It started to walk closer to me, and I said "I see you little fella".

Well, that got his/her? attention and it decided to skidaddle off into the bushes. LOL

LOL...they don't see well. But I love them...cute but funny looking.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
I have been in love with birds since I can remember.
My older brother and I were were in awe of birds of prey since before we were teenagers.
I once climbed a pole near 30 feet to catch a trained Cooper’s hawk when I was 10 years old.
It bit an scratched the heck out of me.
When I finally set foot on ground it’s owner said thanks for getting my bird.
Damn it I thought it was mine.
****!!!!

So I currently have a bunch of chickens and a jumbo Green Wing Macaw.
Big ass red Macaw.
In full bloom she is just shy of 48 inches.
Her tail feathers are an easy 24/30 inches
I’ve had my Macaw for 20 years .
Since we had to spoon feed her.
We would like to put her in a better situation when we retire.
Andy.

Bird lovers abound on this thread.....

How much longer does a macaw live over 20 yrs.? They are so beautiful.

Saw a pair of red ones in flight in Costa Rica and a blue pair as well....stunning in flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature