Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Recently we had the incident of a mother laughing when a wild buffalo chased her kid who was getting too close. And now we have this woman who was "not aware she shouldn't be riding a manatee".

Where is this ignorance and irresponsibility coming from? These are grown adults not little kids who don't seem to understand that not every animal is a pet. I really am interested in why you think some people don't stop to think about the inherit dangers in dealing with wild animals. Is it because of the many wild animal shows on TV where the host interacts with animals? In the other thread about the buffalo someone actually said it is a shame our kids can't have an "adrenalin rush".

Woman rides wild manatee in Florida, turns herself in - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
Because people watch too much TV and believe EVERYTHING they see there for one. People are so gullible, they don't know the difference between WILD animals and DOMESTIC animals. You say that these are grown adults, well maybe physically they are grown adults. The truth of it is, is thta if the Buffalo or Manatee had injured anyone there would have been a whopping lawsuit against their owners/handlers for sure.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Oh man, I know people are ignorant but jeez, these people really cross the line. They really need to realize that large animals need their space and can be unpredictable.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Do not wish to take this thread political, but total woeful ignorance of wildlife is just another example of the systematic dumbing down of America. Most citizens know far more about the persons they watch on American Idol than they do about the behavior of a bison or a manatee. While have never overheard it myself, there are reports of people to national parks actually inquiring as where the animals stay at night, who takes care of them, and how they are trained. Many of the animal programs on TV are not realistic and use trained captive animals and are carefully scripted and edited. Many Americans have the idea that if you love an animal it will love you back, an attitude that can get you killed or badly injured.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I agree. Even domesticated animals can turn deadly if provoked or trained to do so.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Disney taught me that all animals are loving, friendly and good at cracking jokes. Did something change?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
I have to tell you about this experience we had with a Manatee. My wife and I, her parents and two of our kids were swimming along about 500 ft out in the Gulf in Naples Florida. This manatee swam up to us and was just like an over friendly dog. It actually wanted us to ride on it's back and it kept swimming right under us and then coming up with us right on it's back. My oldest daughter had her camera and could not get a good picture because this critter would push it's face right up against the camera when it was pointed it's way. We were concerned about this animal because there are a lot of boats out a little further and it already had one big prop scar across it's back. It swam with us for a long time and would not get lost. When we came to a little inlet were we know the manatees go in to spend the night we shooed and shooed it until it finally slowly swam into the cypresses, almost as if we had hurt it's feelings. Just slow and turning back until we shooed it again. When we started telling people about this really amazing experience, they just would not believe us. I don't blame then actually. We have encountered manatees before around there and they are always shy and avoid contact but not this one, OUR manatee.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM

50,322 posts, read 47,069,940 times
That thing could have pimp slapped her with it's tail. WHACk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature