Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

This is from my local paper. interesting information about why killing them causes more harm than good.

chapelhillnews.com | Co-exist, don t kill, coyote expert tells Orange County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Horse hockey. If there is an "intact group of six" with one breeding female, your chances of killing the breeding female are one in six - or less, since she would tend to be more wary. The humane society spins information to suit its goals of making humans second class to any animal.

Coyotes lure and kill dogs, kill cats and other loose pets, and are primarily carnivorous canines. Here is a clue for the humane society - if you don't kill pest animals they do something called "breeding" where the daddy pest animal loves the mommy pest animal very much and they have litters of baby pest animals that they love and cherish. The same thing happens with rats.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM

515 posts, read 778,576 times
The article mentioned feeding feral cats colonies.........lol. That's just more food for the coyotes. This article is very biased.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times

Red Hot Chili Peppers - True Men Don't Kill Coyotes [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
If someone wants to trap or hunt coyotes for the fur, I've got no real problem with it as long as its done in a humane manner. What I wouldn't condone is just shooting them for the heck of it, but thats up to the individual's code of ethics (as long as coyote's are not endangered). If there is truly a nuisance issue then I understand that also.
I don't see any compelling reason from this article or otherwise for coyotes to have special status, and I'm not in favor of legislating ethics.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
I live in Texas. We have the largest concentration of coyote population in the world here. In particular, Webb County has the highest population in the world per acre per TPWL and Dept of Agriculture. My brother lives in Webb County and has killed thousands, sometimes thousands per year and the only thing it has done is improved the quality of the animals that you do see. Left alone, they will multiply far past their food source. That's why Kalifornia is seeing them in the towns and in other parts of the US- the coyotes are moving into our world because of food shortages in the country. Once they've moved into the cities they have no desire to move back to the country as we make it far too easy for them to eat. They're not stupid animals but probably the smartest in the US. Should their food source get reduced in the city, they're known to prey on pets. Once the pets are gone, they will pack and start feeding on children. This has already happened here in Texas and it's only time before someone loses a child to these wild animals elsewhere. So who has the right to life- the coyote or your pet? Once you've watched a pet shredded by a coyote I think you'll learn what the old folks learned, the coyote population MUST be controlled by killing. Please don't confuse this with extermination. Coyotes are a very important part of our environment. Their main diet are mice and rats and when available, rabbits and small birds like quail. To eliminate the coyote would mean a very disastrous mouse and rat population. You'd see crops destroyed over night and disease spread like fire. They serve a useful purpose but out of control population is not acceptable either. It's all about balance. And for those that would like to see all killing of coyotes stopped, have you ever seen a coyote starve to death? I have and it isn't a pretty death. They will get sickly and not be able to fight any infections. Mange will take the hair off of them and when the first winter comes, they freeze to death. While it may be noble to want all killing stopped, it's the ultimate in stupidity from folks that have no clue. These over educated idiots supporting this living with the wild animals are a prime example.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I live in Texas. That's why Kalifornia
Although I see your point, is the California bashing really necessary in this post? Or is it typical in Texass?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,102 times
As soon as she mentioned "Wily" I would have stood up and said "Beep! Beep!" and would have been gone.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
There was a good book about this years ago by a rancher who knew what he was talking about. Killing coyotes eliminates an importan pest controller. Coyotes eat a LOT of rodents! But some people will not learn that nature has taken billions of years to "figure out" the best way to do anything. Then we stupidly come along and think we've got it all figured out in an extremely brief time.

Don Coyote: The Good Times And The Bad Times Of A Much Maligned American Original: Dayton O. Hyde: 9781555663551: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Population control is only part of the reason for hunting them (and yes hunting does work to control their numbers if done seriously). When they are not hunted they lose their fear of people, and when they do, they can become dangerous. A woman was killed by coyotes while hiking in a park in Canada some years ago. The coyotes were so bold and fearless because they were never hunted. Even a group of hikers making noise and throwing things at them did not scare those coyotes. I had a pack of them fearlessly following me around in Vermont last Fall a couple times in an area popular with people hiking with their kids. Those coyotes are gone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature