Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If there is a lion standing over me, possibly still alive, I hope there is a hail of bullets.
LOL! Why a "hail of bullets"? Are they really bad shots? How about one well-placed shot?

Woof is right. When a victim is on the ground, taking the time to find a tranq gun is not an option. And having a tranquilizer gun every 10 feet is ridiculous. "In case of lion attack, break glass."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Go find one? Hell, there should be one near by like we have fire extinguisher every 10'. Plus why let a intern go in a cage without supervision anyway, she only been there two months. This is a exotic wild animal, we heard of enough times lions "attacking" people and anyway he was sitting next to her not mauling her or feeding on her..he just wouldn't move. Go lure him with a bucket of ribeye steaks why don't you.
Glad you mentioned a fire extinguisher, as I had thought to myself, using a fire extinguisher would have probably scared the cat away from her.

And yes, places like these should have tranquilizer guns on hand.....after all....the police aren't there, guns at the ready, to intervene.

Another thought, those riot guns that shoot those "dummy" bullets might have chased the cat away from her......they should have one of those at the ready too.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
"An African lion killed a 26-year-old female intern who entered his enclosure Wednesday..."

what do you expect to happen when you walk into a lion's cage and violate his space?
is this woman completely insane? or stupid? or both? what the hell was she doing in there?
trying to pet it?
whatever you do, don't attempt to actually learn what happened, better to just spout something, anything

Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL! Why a "hail of bullets"? Are they really bad shots? How about one well-placed shot?
Have been unable to find info on the size of the lion, but will assume it was around 400 pounds. If the officer was armed with a 9mm pistol, typical for LE, he was woefully undergunned. One does not shoot a 400 pound predator with a 9mm and expect to drop it with a single round. Again no details, but in order to have killed the lion quite likely the officer fired multiple rounds at very close range. LE are trained to keep firing at a foe until it is neutralized, ie, on the ground and not moving. If the cop used a 5.56 mm rifle, which some but not all squad cars carry, again this is a round way too light for a lion, and once again, multiple hits would have been required to put the cat down unless he got very lucky with a very carefully placed first shot.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Sure, a loaded tranquilizer gun every 10' at a sanctuary, that makes lots of sense. And as Clark notes, it takes a while for them to work even if the load is the right amount for that animal. And yeah, he's just made a fresh kill but maybe he'll want some stale food from the kitchen instead, and immediately.

Folks, try to spend at least a minute or two thinking things over before posting. If you were attacked by an animal, would you want everyone standing around pointing a finger of blame and not helping as the animal mauls you?
Did I say loaded???? Don't remember saying that do you? I don't keep a guns loaded in my house but the bullets are right next to them, yes in different parts of the house. And how long did it take the cops to get there 30 seconds? Have you ever known cops to make it to a location in less than a minute? If the woman couldn't breathe for instance, the brain can last only 3 minutes without O2 before dying. The clock started clicking the moment she hit the floor. The cops were already to late UNLESS she was just injured. Upon shotting the lion I'm sure it didn't just stand there and turn over and died but began to step all over or around her and possibly ended up falling dead on top of her...it is a possiblity...well she dead now for sure and the woman's body probably caught a few stray bullet itself. And it states the animal was not trying to eat her or mauling her..it was just next to her and wouldn't move so they shot it.

The major problem here is that we don't know anything about animal behavior yet we want to bring them here in the US for display. The common house cat is hard to understand so why bring it largest relative here and you don't understand it. We are the stupid ones, they just follow their innate behavior. Just like the incident with the killer whale at Sea World that just gave birth to her baby not to long ago and the humans wanted her to go out and perform the peoples' entertainment. All of a sudden she began to push and shove the trainer around and down in the water. and now everybody is frightened!! She most likely could hear her baby calling her or wanting to be with it instead of performing like she was in a circus. That's any mother,whether animal or human.

Last edited by eyewrist; 03-10-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Lions are not pets. Even a tame lion is not a pet.

I would be scared to death if Jasper, my cat, was the size of a lion.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Did I say loaded???? Don't remember saying that do you? I don't keep a guns loaded in my house but the bullets are right next to them, yes in different parts of the house. And how long did it take the cops to get there 30 seconds? Have you ever known cops to make it to a location in less than a minute? If the woman couldn't breathe for instance, the brain can last only 3 minutes without O2 before dying. The clock started clicking the moment she hit the floor. The cops were already to late UNLESS she was just injured. Upon shotting the lion I'm sure it didn't just stand there and turn over and died but began to step all over or around her and possibly ended up falling dead on top of her...it is a possiblity...well she dead now for sure and the woman's body probably caught a few stray bullet itself. And it states the animal was not trying to eat her or mauling her..it was just next to her and wouldn't move so they shot it.

The major problem here is that we don't know anything about animal behavior yet we want to bring them here in the US for display. The common house cat is hard to understand so why bring it largest relative here and you don't understand it. We are the stupid ones, they just follow their innate behavior. Just like the incident with the killer whale at Sea World that just gave birth to her baby not to long ago and the humans wanted her to go out and perform the peoples' entertainment. All of a sudden she began to push and shove the trainer around and down in the water. and now everybody is frightened!! She most likely could hear her baby calling her or wanting to be with it instead of performing like she was in a circus. That's any mother,whether animal or human.
actually the reports indicated that she had been bitten and scratched after having been killed.

So that brings us back to the point that she was on the ground, unmoving, and any number of non-fatal scenarios can make that happen. They couldn't just assume she was dead, in fact they had to assume she was alive and desperately needed help. That help would take 10 minutes even if miraculously they had a trankie gun at the ready, so they immediately used what they had, even if it wasn't guaranteed.

Look, I understand that lions and kitties and wild animals are beautiful and entrancing, but sometimes they need to be put down to protect humans. It's a shame, but it fortunately doesn't happen often. Yes, a human life ranks higher than a lion's.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
actually the reports indicated that she had been bitten and scratched after having been killed.

So that brings us back to the point that she was on the ground, unmoving, and any number of non-fatal scenarios can make that happen. They couldn't just assume she was dead, in fact they had to assume she was alive and desperately needed help. That help would take 10 minutes even if miraculously they had a trankie gun at the ready, so they immediately used what they had, even if it wasn't guaranteed.

Look, I understand that lions and kitties and wild animals are beautiful and entrancing, but sometimes they need to be put down to protect humans. It's a shame, but it fortunately doesn't happen often. Yes, a human life ranks higher than a lion's.
I say then train and supervise the staff correctly or get these animals out of the US...simple. If that lion really was attacking her (500lbs versus 120lbs) she didn't stand a chance. A scratch a bite,huh, kitten will do that. A lion can lick your skin and tear the skin off. If he planned on doing harm he would have done it in short time..1/3 of her body would have devoured by the time the cops got there.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Maybe if it was starving ...... I watched a show on tv where a pride of lions knocked down a young water buffalo. The buffalo was frozen in terror but alive ...... the lions set about playing with it, pawing at it, nibbling - just as a housecat would play with a mouse or bird. (by the way, the buffalo was saved by an adult).

Perhaps we shouldn't be keeping any animals enclosed in fences, just leave them where they normally live. I guess though that we need to breed them to keep their numbers up from poaching etc.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
The young lady was on her phone? OK, let's figure out what's wrong with that.
We had two young supers. on their phone that were killed while a concrete truck drove over them.
It's suggested that the young lady on the east coast killed by coyotes had her music ear plugs in.

Now, what's the written safety policy say about that when you're around moving equipment, animals, or operating tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature