Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,610,928 times

Advertisements

They're all at my house. And they aren't the least bit skittish of me. Today I was blowing and bagging leaves and they all stood around and watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Any thoughts?
Do you have a dog, one that likes to chase rabbits? If so, they will stir up any bunnies. If not, besides being born and bred to hunt, a beagle is a wonderful pet for those with the time and patience to handle this energetic breed.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM
bjh

60,108 posts, read 30,425,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I lived her 5+ yrs up til this summer we had tons of rabbits now I see Foxes very few rabbits nor groundhogs!
Sounds like the foxes got 'em.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
No Kidding ... bjh Not Dumb! I seen them get rabbits gh & neighbors cats!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No Kidding ... bjh Not Dumb! I seen them get rabbits gh & neighbors cats!
Golly. General comment. What is gh?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:46 PM

324 posts, read 838,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Do you have a dog, one that likes to chase rabbits? If so, they will stir up any bunnies. If not, besides being born and bred to hunt, a beagle is a wonderful pet for those with the time and patience to handle this energetic breed.
We don't have a dog, and I don't think any of the neighbors do either. It's not that I'm wanting to stir up the bunnies, I just find it curious that I haven't seen any. Every place we've lived before has had rabbits all over--even in the middle of a suburban subdivision. We've been here since March and haven't seen hide nor hare (hehehe). Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I was more interested in whether it indicated a high prevalence of predators--snakes, fox, etc. or some other ecological imbalance. Maybe they are all just down the road though and testing the neighbor's fences. He does grow all organic produce, and organic is very "in" right now. Perhaps they stick to the good stuff!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,101,000 times
Quote:
We don't have a dog, and I don't think any of the neighbors do either. It's not that I'm wanting to stir up the bunnies, I just find it curious that I haven't seen any. Every place we've lived before has had rabbits all over--even in the middle of a suburban subdivision. We've been here since March and haven't seen hide nor hare (hehehe). Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I was more interested in whether it indicated a high prevalence of predators--snakes, fox, etc. or some other ecological imbalance. Maybe they are all just down the road though and testing the neighbor's fences. He does grow all organic produce, and organic is very "in" right now. Perhaps they stick to the good stuff!
While periodically Fox and other predators will decimate the rabbit population in an area, it bounces right back the following spring.

It is quite hard to get rid of rabbits. If there are rabbits near you (Within a Mile) it is almst certain you have them too. Just have good hiding places also. Come the First snow you should see plenty of tracks even if you don't see the clover munchers.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM
bjh

Even living in a city I see fox and wabbits. Have also seen the neighbor's cat with a mouse.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times
I wouldn't complain to much bout rabbits staying hid out. Garden eatin', lawn destroyers. If the local preds keep them scarce, make your peace with the preds. In areas with no livestock, I have an agreement with the coyotes. Rabbits, and all other rodentia are fair game. Same with the foxes. Its red and free as far as that goes.

However, mess with my chickens, or any other domestics, all bets are off.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:

Well they are far more numerously seen in suburbs for good reason. Fewer predators. More habitat that suites them (edge). The predators not only affect the population size, but perhaps more importantly it affects the behavior of prey species. So while there may be, in two areas, equal populations per km, in one area such as a suburban landscape, more may be seen while in the other area it would be uncommon to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature