Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I think anyone who's driven for any length of time has probably almost missed hitting an animal who has run across the road in front of them - at least once or twice. Like most of us, I would never intentionally hit an animal. However, if it's stupid enough to run in front of a car & if the driver doesn't have enough time to stop, then as far as I'm concerned it's no one's fault but the stupid animal(s).

There are a lot of bleeding hearts out there who put more value on an animal's life than a human's life. Note that there have been times that someone accidentally hitting a deer has caused the deer to be somehow thrown on top of their windshield, killing or seriously injuring the human driver (and/or passenger).
We hit a deer once. It made a HUGE dent on the hood but got up and walked away. Im convinced they are made of steel.

___
As for the pup i hit, i did think of the owners but the world is so crazy these days. Would they be upset and be glad you told them? Mad and start something? You just dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
As I walked toward the puppy, a woman came over and lifted the puppy by the collar, and it hung like a limp rag. I asked, "Was that your puppy?" She said, "Yeah." and carried it back toward her house. I was shocked at the time by her seeming lack of emotion, but looking back, it was more likely she was just in a state of shock.
If she cared so much about the puppy, why wasn't it on a leash?

Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Sicko. The world today is full of 'em.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I think anyone who's driven for any length of time has probably almost missed hitting an animal who has run across the road in front of them - at least once or twice. Like most of us, I would never intentionally hit an animal. However, if it's stupid enough to run in front of a car & if the driver doesn't have enough time to stop, then as far as I'm concerned it's no one's fault but the stupid animal(s).

There are a lot of bleeding hearts out there who put more value on an animal's life than a human's life. Note that there have been times that someone accidentally hitting a deer has caused the deer to be somehow thrown on top of their windshield, killing or seriously injuring the human driver (and/or passenger).
In the rural area I used to live the sheriff's report was full of............"swerved to miss a deer and lost control of vehicle "

Every year the State Highway Patrol and County sheriffs urge motorists to only avoid hitting deer when one can safely do so.

A deer's life is not worth a human risking his life by swerving.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:18 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Three weeks ago my youngest son swerved to miss a deer and ran off the road into a tree.

I tried to copy a picture.

The dash was pushed almost two feet into the passenger compartment and the hood was bent in half laterally, of course the truck was totaled.

He walked away with a broken collarbone.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
There are 200 people killed each year, due to a car hitting a deer alone, and deer vehicle damage costs $4,000,000,000 yes that is 4 billion dollars or more each year. Plus all other animals killed add up to a huge amount. Cars kill everything from turtles, to moose every year. In fact in some states another deer is killed about every 8 minutes. Small animals oftener.

There is more danger trying to avoid something like geese in the road to keep from harming them, than to kill a couple as that woman did. A lot of people are killed or severely injured trying to avoid hitting animals. For your own safety and safety of passengers, it is recommended hitting the small animal or birds rather than trying to avoid hitting them. Not only does avoiding hitting a deer, small animal or bird put your and your passengers life in danger, but it also puts anyone else in the general vicinity at the time in danger.

Car and Deer Collisions Cause 200 Deaths, Cost $4 Billion a Year

http://www.defenders.org/publication...nd_figures.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5330a1.htm

Animal lovers that think more of animals than they do people, go crazy about someone killing an animal or bird with their car, but it is usually safer than trying to avoid them, and maybe involving other people in an accident and one or more people getting killed.

One of my sons is an owner/operator long haul truck driver. Last year he had a deer jump in front of his truck, killing the deer. He ended up having to be off work for 10 days while they got what it took to put his truck back in normal condition, costing his insurance company $16,000 to repair it.

When I was a freshman in high school, I was going to a conference in a Model A Ford, with an adult driver and 3 other kids. On the way home we had 3 different deer jump in front of that car, and killed all 3 instantly. That car was old standards back then during WWII, but it killed the deer and did not hurt the car or passengers. If he had tried at the last moment to avoid hitting them, we would probably have ended up wrapped around huge redwood trees that were along the side of the road on both sides. By along side the road, I mean there was no shoulder, with the pavement right up to those huge trees.

In fact, to keep the dead animals from causing more problems including more wrecks, in many states if you kill a deer, etc., with your car while driving, to get that road hazard out of the way to protect other drivers you can butcher it out and take it and put it in your freezer.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:53 PM

217 posts, read 283,484 times
oldtrader, that sounds like a good old-fashoned strong car.

I too hate the idea of running over animals, and the incident OP mentioned sounds sadistic, but honestly, I'm willing to accept that sometimes hitting animals by accident is a part of the nature both the animals and humans created together.

So what I've learned from all of this, is that no one who accidentally hits animals is a monster, and that if I'm driving and a deer jumps out, I better throw the brakes, duck, and hope I'm driving a truck, SUV, or an old muscle car.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
If she cared so much about the puppy, why wasn't it on a leash?
while in the house? Puppies can escape you know. No matter how much you love them.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is more danger trying to avoid something like geese in the road to keep from harming them, than to kill a couple as that woman did. A lot of people are killed or severely injured trying to avoid hitting animals. For your own safety and safety of passengers, it is recommended hitting the small animal or birds rather than trying to avoid hitting them.
I'd agree except Geese are not at all fast so they've already been in the middle of the road. Unless there was very poor visibility, you should be able to avoid running into them or swerve into a tree as a result. If you do, chances are they were already there for a while and you weren't paying attention.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I'd agree except Geese are not at all fast so they've already been in the middle of the road. Unless there was very poor visibility, you should be able to avoid running into them or swerve into a tree as a result. If you do, chances are they were already there for a while and you weren't paying attention.
or at least honk loudly, give them a chance to fly out of the way- we are talking geese here, not deer, and it didn't sound like a busy road....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature